Aerial nuking?!

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Chimaera
level2
level2

Aerial nuking?!

Postby Chimaera » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:17 pm

Similar to naval nuking, aerial nuking is using bomber nukes to destroy incoming bomber runs. I know it works, because I used it against Peace and Love, and destroyed enough bombers to save Warsaw from her fiendish African Air Force. What I want to know is whether anyone has actually used it as part of a planned strategy, ather than a prosuct of desperation. If it could be implemented properly, it could change the balance of the game considerably, with heavily grouped bomber runs no longer being as valued.

Any thoughts?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:20 pm

I think most players (here) don't plan it unless they are out of fighters, bombers are already in the air, and you can see the incoming bombers prior. Otherwise, I think that most just use (myself included) such tactics as the opportunity arises and when deemed necessary.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Being an aggressive in game player i tend to hate this tactic :evil:
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Hyperion wrote:Being an aggressive in game player i tend to hate this tactic :evil:

I'm a defensive player and yet I also hate this tactic.

Nukes are meant to be dropped on cities, not on flyboys. :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:03 pm

mrobertsonesq wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Being an aggressive in game player i tend to hate this tactic :evil:

I'm a defensive player and yet I also hate this tactic.

Nukes are meant to be dropped on cities, not on flyboys. :roll:

Actually, nukes are meant to destroy. If that means dropping them on some flyboys (to ultimately protect your cities directly or indirectly) then that's what they were meant for. :wink:
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 pm

:D

Naaaaaah!

I picture my fighter pilots as less "Tom Cruise / Top Gun" and more Biggles types who fly by a code of ethics and are back to the mess in time for tea and tiffin. If a crafty AA installation over Russia clips one they'll cry over the radios "cripes, old Bertie bought it, hell's whiskers!" instead of cranking out the big'uns.

But I do see your point - if it can be done, do it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:10 pm

I use it mainly as a weapon of opportunity. I rarely will launch a bomber dedicated to such a mission, but still use it as a major defensive meathod.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:00 pm

I think that this tactics is used mostly by chance. Your bomers and your enemy's meet somewhere in the middle and the opportunity presents itself. Too many things have to coincide in order for this tactic to work. I think it's only natural to use this tactic in such a situation, although I repeat I use it quite rarely only when the circumstances are right. Fighters are more preferrable when dealing with bombers.

BUT... if you see an enemy's swarm you can get rid of with a single nuke - why not?
NMO
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Am I the only person on here who uses it against fighters?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 pm

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Am I the only person on here who uses it against fighters?

No.

I'll nuke anything that moves. And stuff that stays still...especially stuff that stays still :!: :!: :!:

I'm a big fan of tactical nuking :D
mark_from_briz
level0

Postby mark_from_briz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:28 am

it would be nice to be able to configure nukes for air burst vs ground burst, oh and mirv's ;-)
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:59 am

mark_from_briz wrote:it would be nice to be able to configure nukes for air burst vs ground burst, oh and mirv's ;-)

Seriously, desist reviving dead threads to make useless comments - unless you have something seriously useful to say that's directly related to the OP, dead threads are best left dead.
White--Rabbit
level4
level4

Postby White--Rabbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:01 pm

I only used this tactic once deliberatly. It was agains Ace Rimmer and he was going to scout/nuke Teran and any radars that he seen. It worked. I got all 6 of his incoming bombers with 2 nuke strikes.

:lol: 8)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:07 pm

White--Rabbit wrote:I only used this tactic once deliberatly. It was agains Ace Rimmer and he was going to scout/nuke Teran and any radars that he seen. It worked. I got all 6 of his incoming bombers with 2 nuke strikes.

Yes, I was surprised and impressed and disappointed all at the same time. Surprised because I wasn't expecting it, impressed because, well I wasn't expecting it, and disappointed (in myself) for not being smart enough to think that perhaps you'd learned from the last game. :P I made up for it the with the rest of the game though. :P
White--Rabbit
level4
level4

Postby White--Rabbit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
White--Rabbit wrote:I only used this tactic once deliberatly. It was agains Ace Rimmer and he was going to scout/nuke Teran and any radars that he seen. It worked. I got all 6 of his incoming bombers with 2 nuke strikes.

Yes, I was surprised and impressed and disappointed all at the same time. Surprised because I wasn't expecting it, impressed because, well I wasn't expecting it, and disappointed (in myself) for not being smart enough to think that perhaps you'd learned from the last game. :P I made up for it the with the rest of the game though. :P

Oh yes u did make up for it mr Ace :lol: Ur a very difficult player to fight against and i try to learn form all my games

Return to “Strategic Air Command”