I can't believe it took me this long to think of this...

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

I can't believe it took me this long to think of this...

Postby Feud » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm

So, I was playing last night in a Russia vs. Europe match (thindigital watching) and I realized something that I'm sure everyone else has known since day one, but for what ever reason has taken met this long to figure out.

In close battles like that, Atlantic, and Indian Ocean fights I'll always try to mix by air craft. By this I mean that some carriers will launch bombers, some fighters. I just realized that the carriers launching bombers take the same amount of time if I launch one fighter first, then switch to bomber mode. I feel like an idiot. :oops:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:52 pm

Don't feel too bad. I realized this about 3/4 into my Defcon Career. And it dawned on me when I was a spectator.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Don't feel too bad. I realized this about 3/4 into my Defcon Career. And it dawned on me when I was a spectator.

you already know when your career is gonna end ? :shock:
DrDeath
level0

Postby DrDeath » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:34 pm

D'oh! I hadn't even thought of that... how thick am I? :oops:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:44 pm

zjoere wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Don't feel too bad. I realized this about 3/4 into my Defcon Career. And it dawned on me when I was a spectator.

you already know when your career is gonna end ? :shock:

Heh, I was implying from the start till now. So no, I don't. :wink:
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Technically speaking it's not "as fast as just launching the bomber straight away".
It's true the fighter will be dispatched immediately, after which the 240s countdown begins. There will be only a 1-4s delay, but there is a difference none the less :P

[/pedantic]
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:01 pm

torig wrote:Technically speaking it's not "as fast as just launching the bomber straight away".
It's true the fighter will be dispatched immediately, after which the 240s countdown begins. There will be only a 1-4s delay, but there is a difference none the less :P

[/pedantic]

Psh. Piffle. ;)
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 pm

shinygerbil wrote:
torig wrote:Technically speaking it's not "as fast as just launching the bomber straight away".

[/pedantic]

Psh. Piffle. ;)

Thanks for giving me my new-word-of-the-day ;)
But, since you oppose my statement, let's measure this. You place one carrier next to one of mine. Come defcon 3 you launch a fighter, then a bomber; while I immediately launch a bomber. First bomber to appear wins its owner the Pedantry Price of Outstanding achievement in the field of excellence :roll:

;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:25 pm

PIFFLE I SAY! ;)

No, I agree you're right, but if you're quick (in fact, don't carriers launch fighters automatically in some circumstances?) it only has to be a second or two of difference. Plus, in the next couple of seconds, my fighter has torn your bomber to shreds, and is ready to take on the next one ;)
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Re: I can't believe it took me this long to think of this...

Postby Angel of Death » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Feud wrote: I just realized that the carriers launching bombers take the same amount of time if I launch one fighter first, then switch to bomber mode.

*Angel goes home to try it* :x
Braddock
level1
level1

Postby Braddock » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:30 am

Wow, that never occurred to me either.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:00 am

and i always launch bombers....now fighters then the bombers....

although i would think the first 3-6 fighters would be wiped out in seconds.....still....time to try
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:46 am

well the poor guys navy lasted about 30 seconds so whatver you're doing its working for ya :D

atm i use fleets of 3 carriers, some are placed near my BB line, some held in reserve, at def 3 my front line carriers launch 1 fighter each to long range and the rest to half range, while my 'reserve' carriers launch a fighter each for protection, and then switch to bombers and launch them parallel to my BB line

had an intersting game vs TM2007NEW last night (him NA me RUSSIA) the naval battle was intense with both of us using plenty of nukes and his micro skills been as good as mine, (nearly ;) )

point being, it was the fact tht i held onto, and managed, my fighters better than he, (something i rarely manage to do) so -

its all about the fighters !! keep naval CAP's in the air at all times and always try to manage your fighters back to base -

(btw TM2007NEW dropped after it became clear tht i had won the naval fight and was about to start scouting him :/ shame cus if he stuck around we cuddve had a chat about the great naval battling)
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:21 am

I just thought of that recently as well. Must be a meme going around.

But instead, I say piffle to frontal naval attack. Had too many battles that start the moment Defcon 3 hits and end up with piles of smouldering hulks far too quickly. My new plan is to deploy in my own radar range and lure the unsuspecting enemy navy into a meatgrinder.

Hmm. Maybe shouldn't have given that away :lol: - but I never play under this name anyway. And I'm off all weekend and yous will all have forgotten by Monday :roll:

Cheers, Tripper

Edit - I also agree that scrambled fighters tend to die without making much of a contribution. Better to launch them backwards so they're still alive when the enemy comes into radar range ....
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Fighters are renewable and a very good long range attack weapon...in swarms that is, you just need to pick your targets carefully. Fighters are grunts...what would be the point in flying them backwards? when what they're meant for is scouting/bomber defence/swarm attacks, they also have a much smaller combat range than bombers (which should be flown backwards from an approaching enemy fleet).

Question: Do naval units (Battleship) prioritize targets as silos do? i.e. will they target a bomber if it enters their combat range rather than the fighter they were already targeting?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”