The 'holy grail' for all you new players

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Hyperion
level5
level5

The 'holy grail' for all you new players

Postby Hyperion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:58 am

Hello all :wink: i've been reading alot of new player questions recently, which is on one hand a very nice thing to see...new blood :twisted: ...and on the other hand can get a bit tiresome :P ...everybody has to learn but yeah :roll: anyway, sorry to be opinionated on that matter but for all you new players that would like tips on silo placements, tips and hints on how to best use units and take out certain units/formations do a search on the general forums for the 'dedcon' servers...you must have all seen them online when looking for a game :wink: , well they record games after being played :shock: ...read through the very simple guidelines of how to load up the replays and watch some of the more experienced players and how they handle their units...particularly pay attention to the 'orders' tab of where units are being sent in order to deal with threats or approach targets :) ...i think you'll find these very helpful and much easier than trying to spectate games with experienced players in :)

It will also save you alot of time with posting queries on the forums, hmm...had a new idea...a dedcon school? O_o *goes off to make this post*

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to get at any new players with this post but i do believe it will be far more valuable to all you new players :) you learn from experience.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:06 am

*cough* http://defcon.gov-fbi.net *cough*
(NEW & SHINY*)
Oooohhhhh shiny!
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 pm

*cough*...link doesn't work...*cough*

EDIT: Keeps fluctuating between showing and page not found.
Last edited by Hyperion on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 pm

*cough*It's working fine for me*cough*
Last edited by NukeLord on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:24 pm

*cough*...it doesn't?...*cough*
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:24 pm

*cough*... :roll: ...*cough*
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:37 pm

Error!
Could not locate remote server

You tried to access the address http://defcon.gov-fbi.net/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:43 pm

Oh, I've been meaning to tell torig that the DNS query for that server is erratic :)
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Oh, I've been meaning to tell torig that the DNS query for that server is erratic :)

Hmm, odd.
I've never experienced issues with it myself, so far. And I use the DNS name as I don't know my new IPs by heart yet (so if DNS *is* badly screwed, I'd be too) ;)

What did occur today, is that the data centre in Dallas pulled the plug a bit too soon. Contacted them hours later (when I noticed :oops: ) and now the server's back up.
As the US server still is the only DNS.... if that goes down, DNS goes down :(

(but it should be ok now. Thanks for the heads-up though).

Migrating the old server's functions (DNS, mail, ...) is high on my to-do list, but antispam isn't playing nicely with qmail yet..

Return to “Strategic Air Command”