My impregnable defenses

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

HomelandSecurity
level0

My impregnable defenses

Postby HomelandSecurity » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 am

Well perhaps not impregnable, but it's been working fairly well for me lately.

It protects my air bases, the two radars are very well protected and almost guarantee that the silos will have extended radar. All the while the silos are close enough to offer blanketed protection. I usually don't spread myself out and focus on protecting one area and sacrificing another. As for my fleet arrangement this seems to work out very well for me:

The carriers stay protected and usually most of them survive. I play defensively and as soon as ships come into radar range of my destroyers I scramble all the bombers on my carriers and follow them with all the fighters. Usually the fighters overtake the bombers and I can eliminate whatever fighters/bombers my opponent has in the air. This seems effective because I've noticed that most people playing lately aren't that good and don't use bombers in naval battles :roll: . I have no problem managing groups of two and often the destroyers break off and attack the enemies flanks. I don't use my subs at all until they've launched all their nukes. I use them individually but place them in groups of four and take three positions around the opponents territory spread out in lines (out of radar range of course. :D ). I'm not sure if it's because I can only find new people to play (I abstain from the N%&B word) but I can almost always take out all of my opponents silos (1V1) with my subs and coordinated bomber strikes. Then I get all my kills after the victory timer starts by just launching all my ICBM's worry free (I'll do it in groups of three if I'm not positive I got all the enemy subs).
Thats my strategy, I'd like some input because I feel I've only been playing a lot of new people and I'm not sure if it's all that applicable in a game against a veteran.

I look forward to nuking you all,
HomelandSecurity
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:28 am

no need to double post. You have an edit button, you know...
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:22 pm

I will impregnate your defences.
Nova Cygni
level1
level1

Postby Nova Cygni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 am

Nice layout. As for the fleet, I do the same but have a couple of lone carriers with the battleships so that radar range in increased - bombers can then see their targets more easily when deployed.
HomelandSecurity
level0

Postby HomelandSecurity » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 am

I've been trying to have all the bombers in the air criss-crossing just behind the destroyers so they are already scrambled and I can get my fighters in the air right away. The bombers can stay up for quite a while, it depends on who I am and who I'm against of course.
Bunnet
level1
level1

Postby Bunnet » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:45 am

As I said in the other toic this formation is hugely weak to subs in active mode.
HomelandSecurity
level0

Postby HomelandSecurity » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:04 am

would you care to elaborate, or have ideas for improvement?
Pater
level2
level2

Re: My impregnable defenses

Postby Pater » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:10 am

Wow, someone here is actually getting closer to playing with a smart silo setup..
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:29 pm

What springs to mind:

Twelve bombers in three groups firing almost simultaneously at the top/bottom. Five on top left, five on top right, two on radar. Radar slightly later than silos, this will minimise overkill on the silos and maximise the chance of the radar nukes hitting at all. Group 1 from the east, Group 2 from the west, Group 3 from the north/south. All bombers should be out of radar range long enough for the nukes to get launched, and once launched enough should get through.

Twelve subs, similar distribution, all from south/north.

Twelve subs have four shots left, and 6 major targets. Attack from wherever's in range.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:What springs to mind:

Twelve bombers in three groups firing almost simultaneously at the top/bottom. Five on top left, five on top right, two on radar. Radar slightly later than silos, this will minimise overkill on the silos and maximise the chance of the radar nukes hitting at all. Group 1 from the east, Group 2 from the west, Group 3 from the north/south. All bombers should be out of radar range long enough for the nukes to get launched, and once launched enough should get through.

Twelve subs, similar distribution, all from south/north.

Twelve subs have four shots left, and 6 major targets. Attack from wherever's in range.

Clever clogs :D

That is assuming, I think, 100% intel and a 1v1 game. Given that setup is in central Africa, where it's non-trivial to scout, I would say that it affords reasonable protection in all directions, particularly in a 6p game.

Should we start a new topic on "Silo Setups and How to Crack Them" (Cue: the SWARM)

Cheers, Tripper
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm

Tripper wrote:That is assuming, I think, 100% intel and a 1v1 game. Given that setup is in central Africa, where it's non-trivial to scout, I would say that it affords reasonable protection in all directions, particularly in a 6p game.
Yes. It's also assuming that no other radar is involved.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Central Africa is the most obvious place for silos, scouting there is difficult but it's the first place I'd looked
And one more thing - I use triangulation by sending fighters to a probable silo location from two directions then watch where AA fire comes from.
Continue lines of fire and the silo will be where they intersect. Then I mark it's location on the whiteboard. I destroyed quite a number of silos this way (without even seeing them). It works perfectly on a standalone silo and on clutered silos (although it's quite a bit difficult to distinguish where this or that AA missile come from).

And this helps to save fighters
Last edited by torq on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NMO
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
Tripper wrote:That is assuming, I think, 100% intel and a 1v1 game. Given that setup is in central Africa, where it's non-trivial to scout, I would say that it affords reasonable protection in all directions, particularly in a 6p game.
Yes. It's also assuming that no other radar is involved.

I would certainly hope that at least any radars to the north would be taken out first. What self-respecting swarm flies over radars ? :wink:
deathtoyou
level1
level1

Postby deathtoyou » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:59 pm

prophile wrote:I will impregnate your defences.

i would love to watch you bust a hot sticky load on him
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 pm

one prob, a few placements r on cities

the carriers r too close to the bships for my liking, im also a fan of using bships as blitzkrieg tanks but do what u will with em

Return to “Strategic Air Command”