How do you counteract the early launch?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:02 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Feud wrote:I think part of the problem, which adds to the success of the earliest launcher, is that once one guys goes ballistic other players often wig out, and rather then riding it out, they open their silos and panic launch.

So, like Masaq said, there isn't one stratagy that defeats all others. But, it is important that you have a stratagy and keep a cool head about things. It's when you cease acting on the other players, but instead allow thier actions to determine your own that things go sour (of course you do need to react to incoming bombers, subs, etc, but you know what I mean).

I think part of this is due to the newer "retail" players, once the excess falls away and those that stick around learn, it'll go back to normal.

I agree. I've never been on the "experianced" end of things when a game goes retail, so I'm having to adjust to the change in players.
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:23 pm

S'kinda fun though. I mean, I'm trying to give tips and such from my limited repetoire. Mostly it's all cool, except when I took a few screenies during a 1v1 game with a demo player, which (as the scores were something like 170 to -20) caused him to shout "OK OK I FORFEIT THE GAME AND YOU CAN JERK OFF TO YOUR SCREENSHOTS", which made me giggle.

Defcon does not arouse me.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:02 pm

How do I counteract the early launch?

With a late breakfaust! :roll:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 pm

There are good jokes. :D

There are bad jokes. :cry:

And then there are jokes so aweful that they are classified as a mortal sin in the four major religions, whose condemnation is etched in stone and for the teller there is no repentence.

That joke belongs in the last catagory. :roll:
Last edited by Feud on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 pm

Which is why it actually ends up being funny. :wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Xocrates wrote:Which is why it actually ends up being funny. :wink:

I did chuckle. Where is xander, we need his award...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:19 pm

eh, who needs xander's chuckle when you've got the new and improved Edit: (unauthorized, heh) version? :wink:

Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 pm

Good man, we needed that!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Feud wrote:

I don't live on the forums... geez. And, this does deserve the Chuckle of Approval:

By the way, Ace's unathorized "xander's Chuckle of Approval" is completely unauthorized. It has none of the qualities of the original: gaudy colors that clash, dark text on a dark background, and the appearance of being made by an amateur. Ace fails it.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:52 pm

xander wrote:
Feud wrote:

I don't live on the forums... geez.

I've got cheap property going on this server if you want to change that ;)

NeoThermic
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:21 pm

xander wrote:
Feud wrote:

I don't live on the forums... geez. And, this does deserve the Chuckle of Approval:

By the way, Ace's unathorized "xander's Chuckle of Approval" is completely unauthorized. It has none of the qualities of the original: gaudy colors that clash, dark text on a dark background, and the appearance of being made by an amateur. Ace completely succeeded at making a beautiful Chuckle of Approval that can be looked at without causing nausouness, vomiting, or epileptic seizures. And successfully erking xander

xander

Fix'd
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:03 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Ace completely succeeded at making a beautiful Chuckle of Approval that can be looked at without causing nausouness, vomiting, or epileptic seizures.

That, actually, is my problem with it. The Chuckle of Approval is meant to cause seizures!

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:10 am

Seizures... of delight!
Ace is the saboteur to your amateur.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:26 am

Feud wrote:
caranthir.pkk wrote:The real issue with silo launches is that you have to have bombers literally ten seconds away when defcon 1 hits. I was playing a 6 player default game the other day with some heavyweights, me being Europe and Feud being Africa, and despite him having bombers in the air and subs ready I still managed to squeeze of 4 bursts and win the game. Same goes for 1vs1 and monster sub-launch strategies (a la skynet). The only way to effectively beat these strategies is to predict the launch; in case of silos you need to time the flight duration + nuke timer of your bombers, in case of subs you need to predict the area where he is going to launch from and bomb it before/when he surfaces.

That was a funny game. You barely won, and if Russia had figured out that the point of the game to to fight back, not mine for fish, you might not have been in first (seriously, the guy had around 14 million kills when he is right next to europe, which has zero silos due to the fact that I had blown them all up in the first five or 10 minutes). Didn't you nuke his fleet also?

Barely? I spanked y'all! ;)
I had Russia well under control, both via private and with removing his fleet from the equation (he placed half in pacific)
Last edited by caranthir.pkk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OAM
level2
level2

Postby OAM » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:05 pm

I tend to place my airbases to cover the coast, and if subs launch, I launch from the airbase. 4 out of 5 times I'm fast enough and they only get 5-6 nukes off witch my silos can easily handle. This applies to an early launch because at that time, my airbases are usualy alot fuller then later, when I've exausted my resources.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”