The Bomber Stream

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

The Bomber Stream

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 am

I have read through a lot of the posts, but I haven't come across anyone mentioning failsafe waypoints. These are specific waypoints that the bombers go to prior to launching their attacks so from there the bombers are funnelled ( like a bomber stream) in to overwhelm and attack the defences (silos, radar and airbases).

The key here is specific timing to be over the waypoints and then the defences as the nukes arrive over the cities. This can be calculated prior to starting a game, by using specific areas to place and position the CV's, airbases and silos.

From the Dedcon replays the bombing waypoints seem to be adhoc.

Has there been any threads on setting specific waypoints or gateways or discussion of bomber streams?

I'm thinking of using all the bombers (44) in waves operating off carriers to increase the range with the ability to return to the carriers and reload to take out the defences in waves while the silos are precalculated to take out only the cities.

By calculating the timings, the flight plans become more accurate ...... until the game starts and then everything goes out the window. :wink:
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Re: The Bomber Stream

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am

Oh goody! :D

70 years later and the Bomber Stream knowledge is forgotten.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

-=DREADLORD=- wrote:By calculating the timings, the flight plans become more accurate ...... until the game starts and then everything goes out the window. :wink:

Too static, nobody wants to follow orders when playing a video game, even if you made the orders yourself.

And then there are numerous threads about similar topics, example:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5086
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for the feedback Trickster, I'll read those threads.
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:40 am

"They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way"

From what I have read and the dedcom recordings I have watched, the bomber streams are adhoc, ie there is no precision in the manouvers or timed arrivals to saturate the defences. I agree and have seen that micro management of fighters can defeat the bombers.

What I am advocating is the same idea ie micromanaging, but istead of fighters, micromanaging the assault force, but using timing to overwhelm the defences.

Same principals, different application.

Has this been tried, where the assault force arrives on a timed schedule within seconds through a narrow corridor?

eg in attacks on South America, the first wave of Nukes hit the northern most cities as the bombers funnel down that same channel at exactly the same time?
History Freak
level1
level1

Postby History Freak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:32 pm

-=DREADLORD=- wrote:"They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way"

From what I have read and the dedcom recordings I have watched, the bomber streams are adhoc, ie there is no precision in the manouvers or timed arrivals to saturate the defences. I agree and have seen that micro management of fighters can defeat the bombers.

What I am advocating is the same idea ie micromanaging, but istead of fighters, micromanaging the assault force, but using timing to overwhelm the defences.

Same principals, different application.

Has this been tried, where the assault force arrives on a timed schedule within seconds through a narrow corridor?

eg in attacks on South America, the first wave of Nukes hit the northern most cities as the bombers funnel down that same channel at exactly the same time?

I dont think anyone really understands ( at leas i dont ) what you are trying to suggest here. Everything in this game has been done and tried. Watch some pros play and then you get the idea from where it cant get much better than that. Either what you are trying to suggest is already being used or its pointless.
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Maybe my explanation is poor.

From the decon games I have reviewed the players micro-manage their forces.

They try to bring as many of their forces into one area to overcome the defences.

Some of the better players appear to time the arrival of bombers/nukes and silo/nukes to arrive within a short time.

I haven't seen any player arrange his nukes to all arrive within seconds of each other.

Am I correct in that assumption?
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 pm

History Freak wrote: Either what you are trying to suggest is already being used or its pointless.

Maybe this question would be better:

How do players coordinate 6 silos to launch and have the nukes arrive simultaneously on the target?

Not within minutes, but within seconds of each other?
History Freak
level1
level1

Postby History Freak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:02 pm

-=DREADLORD=- wrote:
History Freak wrote: Either what you are trying to suggest is already being used or its pointless.

Maybe this question would be better:

How do players coordinate 6 silos to launch and have the nukes arrive simultaneously on the target?

Not within minutes, but within seconds of each other?

They synchronize nukes depending on silo positions and where nukes will land. Its all done manually without math or anything.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:49 pm

Yes, by launching missiles with the longest trajectories first it can be achieved easily with practice, particularly with a simple formation such as a Six Pack.

Are you suggesting combining ICBMs with bombers (and maybe submarines)? Is my understanding correct?

Colytic
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am

Colytic wrote:Are you suggesting combining ICBMs with bombers (and maybe submarines)? Is my understanding correct?

Colytic

Yes.

It is basically a flight plan that is calculated to the minute and second.

I use Ftimer for the calculations, which I write down and a stopwatch to kow when to move and launch.

It is cumbersome because I have to input every coordinate and so I only run the game in the slowest mode.

To increase my speed and cut down micromanagement I pre-calculate the position of my silos and target only the cities with the largest populations.

Because of the time it takes to calculate,I move the subs in 2 large fleets to be in position. I take into account the launch time for my flightplan.

I do similar plans for my airbases and carrier fleets, with the bombers targeting radar, silos and airbases.

The flightplan is just a countdown for when to launch.

As each sub, CV, BB and bomber move to position, my time is used up in defensive preparations.

The objective here is not to wipe out all of the enemy but to enable precision targetting to eliminate only a select number of cities. It is just using economy and concentration of force.

Currently each game takes about 3 hours, plus some planning and organization before the game starts to know where to position various units.
History Freak
level1
level1

Postby History Freak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

-=DREADLORD=- wrote:
Colytic wrote:Are you suggesting combining ICBMs with bombers (and maybe submarines)? Is my understanding correct?

Colytic

Yes.

It is basically a flight plan that is calculated to the minute and second.

I use Ftimer for the calculations, which I write down and a stopwatch to kow when to move and launch.

It is cumbersome because I have to input every coordinate and so I only run the game in the slowest mode.

To increase my speed and cut down micromanagement I pre-calculate the position of my silos and target only the cities with the largest populations.

Because of the time it takes to calculate,I move the subs in 2 large fleets to be in position. I take into account the launch time for my flightplan.

I do similar plans for my airbases and carrier fleets, with the bombers targeting radar, silos and airbases.

The flightplan is just a countdown for when to launch.

As each sub, CV, BB and bomber move to position, my time is used up in defensive preparations.

The objective here is not to wipe out all of the enemy but to enable precision targetting to eliminate only a select number of cities. It is just using economy and concentration of force.

Currently each game takes about 3 hours, plus some planning and organization before the game starts to know where to position various units.

If your plan does not conclude killing all cities down to at least 0.2 million then your plan is futile.
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 pm

History Freak wrote:If your plan does not conclude killing all cities down to at least 0.2 million then your plan is futile.

Futile is so ....so ..... .ominous and final........ :cry:

Ok.... Iet my understand this.

To win in every game ALL cities must be reduced to less than 0.2 population and the winner is not based on the player with the higher score?
History Freak
level1
level1

Postby History Freak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 am

-=DREADLORD=- wrote:
History Freak wrote:If your plan does not conclude killing all cities down to at least 0.2 million then your plan is futile.

To win in every game ALL cities must be reduced to less than 0.2 population and the winner is not based on the player with the higher score?

Try playing against an experienced player with your strategy because what I told in my reply they are going to do to you.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 am

History Freak wrote:
-=DREADLORD=- wrote:

Try playing against an experienced player with your strategy because what I told in my reply they are going to do to you.

Yep. If you wanna win against an experienced player, you gotta clean cities.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”