Subs!

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Gooseheaded
level0

Subs!

Postby Gooseheaded » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 pm

Not Really Air Command, BUT:
I usually make small groups of submarines (groups of 3).
Then, I spread them (literally) around the enemy territory.
For example, Africa. Africa has several southern cities that people usually don't protect, since they are defending NORTH against Europe.
You send most of your subs (leave a small group at your territory with Active Sonar), then, yuou send ONE Silo NUke. If you time correctly, Both Silo Nukes + Sub Nukes should strike together.
That way you can dizimate most southern African cities.

Any contradictions?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 pm

I've found it extremely effective (in 1v1) to deploy fleets of two or three subs (depending on the territory and length of the border) in active sonar in a 'line' defending my border. Then place the same two/three format of Battleships extremely close to land for silo/base support and place the carries off to the side and send a couple fleets of three to the far/rear area of the enemy.

Against an aware opponent, you loose a lot of subs, but maintain most of the rest of your navy, battleships to pick of bombers flying in to nuke later, and carriers to position and scout. The subs that do remain are normally adequate for withdrawing to your border for protection against incoming/if remaining enemy subs trying to position for launch.

Against your strategy, my carriers/bases would have already launched bombers and ready to pounce on a Silo in launch mode. They (carriers) can also serve as a relay and stay far enough away from land to avoid subs and fighters (once they've quickly sent scouts)

Later, once the naval battle is certain, sending subs to the enemy to mop up what the bombers have left (assuming you make finding/destroying enemy bases a priority). And co-ordinating that with your remaining bombers as a second strike, then silos as a last minute third strike has proven itself with me.
chaz1356
level1
level1

Postby chaz1356 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 am

I sometimes have 12 groups of 1 sub each, then i encircle the enemy because unless he's using all of his bombers to fly patrol, i can get most of my missiles off. This works best in 1v1 or a 3 player game

Return to “Strategic Air Command”