Waiting or advancing with a navy?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

PsychicKid
level2
level2

Waiting or advancing with a navy?

Postby PsychicKid » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:08 pm

In a 1v1 game, I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing with my Navy, either advancing or leaving it behind to defend and pick off my enemy as they approach. I had heard that advancing is the best method, but doing so can leave you vunerable. Even if you leave a few ships behind, or only send just a few ships to advance, either side could get overwhelmed depending on where the majority of the enemy fleet is.

It seems to me that waiting on your coast so you can have airbase and silo protection as well is a better choice, but I suppose it depends on the region. What do you guys suggest?
Clee-Saan
level1
level1

Postby Clee-Saan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:57 pm

If you stay near of your coast line, you have an advantage in case of naval fight. You can send fighters from your airports to destroy the ennemi's airforce, and you can use your AA Silos to destroy fighters as soon as they lift off from their carriers.
jeffrg270
level1
level1

Postby jeffrg270 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm not sure you can argue that there's a right way and a wrong way to manage your navy as far as advancement. Obviously, if you hang back, you have the advantage of air superiority with your silos and landbased fighters/bombers contributing to the attack. But the other issue is, if you want to get your subs in position to strike, it's pretty dangerous to just advance subs without naval support. I usually won't surface my subs without planes or battleships above them, because there's nothing more frustrating than surfacing your subs in the middle of any enemy's defense that you can't even see, and have them disappear without even getting one shot off.

So, basically what I'm saying is, hanging back may preserve your navy and help you fend off other fleets, but advancing into enemy waters is generally necessary to set up a sub strike. There's going to be some situations where you feel like your coastline is threatened enough that you need to keep the navy close, but other situations where an opportunity to move your subs into an offensive position is worthwhile too.
OutOfAmmo
level1
level1

Postby OutOfAmmo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:43 pm

I usually hang back and fight off advancing ships until I'm confident that I have naval superiority. Then, I approach the enemy shore and scout with fighters until I get a good idea of where stuff is. I proceed to use carrier-based bombers and subs to neutrailze what defenses I can. Airfields are, for me, a larger threat then Silos, because without an airforce it will be difficult for them to retaliate. Of course, it can be difficult to pull this off against Russia, unless I have some way of getting a fleet in the Arctic Ocean.

To sum it up, I let them waste their ships on hopeless assaults before advancing.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:00 pm

I think it all depends on what sort of player you are.

Do you like to get an early lead, and then really work hard to keep it...
or...

Sit back, watch the others fight it out...analyse the situation, and then carefully plan your decisive strike on your primary enemy.
---

Both have their advantages. I take the latter, since defence has always been my strength, no matter what the game is. I do 'try' to launch early strikes sometimes, but its not my style and its best I remain hiding in the bunker.

Santa - Admiral of the Seas
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:56 pm

There are some valid points here. However, I have found that defending you border (in 1v1) with active sonar subs at the forefront, battleships next in very close proximity to silos and bases and carriers to the side or rear out of harms way and available for rear/side defense should you be approached from an non-direct route by bombers. Most people I have played send their battleships in first which take heave fire from subs. Once the battle ships are depleted/weak/gone, the carriers are easy pickings. Then send most carries off to scout for sub/bomber attach. The remainder carriers and battleships can pick off any enemy subs left and extend your radar coverage as well for the onslaught of nukes that are sure to come. I always deploy in fleets of 3 or less for greater control (tighter formations at first) and the greater coverage later.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”