Scouting over long distances

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

david200110
level0

Scouting over long distances

Postby david200110 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:51 pm

Say, for example, I am playing USA v Europe [ or vice versa ], me v AI. How can I scout to see where the enemy installations are? The fighters from my carriers are no use as the carriers have usually been destroyed by the time they get in range or if I still have some, the fighters get shot down.

Is there any way to re-supply fighters from my Airbases to my carriers, and if so, how is it done? I have experimented but can't find a way of doing this.

So, assuming that is not possible, how do I scout when the enemy territory is out of range of my land based fighters?

Thanks in advance.

david
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:00 pm

you should try not to get you carriers destroyed, defend them with destroyers, bombers, fighters and subs. Re-supplying them with fresh fighters or bombers is pretty easy, just choose fighters/bomber from a airfield and send them to a point near your carriers, when they reach that point (if not being attacked) they will land at the nearest runway...your carriers. Again, not losing your carriers is the key. Keep them out of range from enemy ships while shooting down any incoming enemy bombers with you fighters and try to take out enemy carriers with your own bombers.
david200110
level0

Postby david200110 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Many thanks for that.

I didn't know you could do that with the aircraft from the land base to carrier. That should prove very useful. I'll give it a try.

david
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 pm

david200110 wrote:Many thanks for that.

I didn't know you could do that with the aircraft from the land base to carrier. That should prove very useful. I'll give it a try.

david

Indeed. A tactic that I have seen quite a bit is to fly all of one's bombers to the airbases at the beginning of Defcon 3. This can keep them nice and safe for the long battle ahead (assuming the airbases don't get nuked).

xander
Dunblas
level1
level1

Postby Dunblas » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Also in a multiple player game, try approting other players for info
LarsMB
level1
level1

Postby LarsMB » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:34 pm

I've found scouting rather hard as well, though:

Trying to scout before Defcon 1 and before the silos have gone into nuke launch mode is very likely to get the fighters shot down by the first silo or other fighters, while the silo and airbase themselves are still way out of radar range.

Trying to scout _after_ the silos have gone into launch mode doesn't give me all that much new information - I know where they are and need to nuke the heck out of them, and fighters then mostly get brought in to protect my bombers on the targets I already know about.

While then I tend to get radar positions and so on, it tends to be too late to be any use. Might as well have gone in without it.

Never been able to scout properly, is what I'm trying to say. ;-)
Kazz
level1
level1

Postby Kazz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Radar is usually coastal, so if you can't spot them with your battleships, it shouldn't be a long flight for fighters to spot them. Radar is always a choice target.

Silos will usually reveal themselves in time by launching. If they don't, nuke the enemy cities with some of your subs, and fly your carrier fighters in under the nukes. The AA will automatically target the nukes and your fighters should be relatively safe until the enemy fighters show up (by then, hopefully you've got plenty of information).
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Is there a max number of Bombers that an Airbase can hold? Or a max number of Bombers that a carrier can hold at one time? :?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Angel of Death wrote:Is there a max number of Bombers that an Airbase can hold? Or a max number of Bombers that a carrier can hold at one time? :?

A carrier can hold two bombers. People have stated that an airbase can hold as many bombers as you can send it, though I think that there may be an upper limit of 10, based on experience.

xander
BiG D
level2
level2

Postby BiG D » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:31 pm

There is an upper limit. 10 sounds about right.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”