Airfield placement.

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Airfield placement.

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:05 am

I noticed that many people I play place their airfields all over the place, like this:

Where as I place mine all in one place like this:

I like my way better, so when a lunch my bomber, they are all in one group, and are able to cause some massive damage, only disadvantage is it's harder to support your ships with them.

Which why do you think is best? or a combination of both?
LarsMB
level1
level1

Postby LarsMB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:16 am

I tend to group my air bases so that they can defend my coastal regions early in the game. When I start launching bombers to go and genocide my enemy, it doesn't matter much where they take off from. There's nothing left to shot them down with ;-}
dawnchorus
level2
level2

Postby dawnchorus » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 pm

I like to have them so that any plane can get to any base from any other base, even if it invloves using other bases as stepping stones. At the same time I like them as close as possible to the coast for naval support. With Russia and Asia they are in a line; with all the others they are in a diamond. You can usually arrange a simultaneous bomber atack by launching them to a converging point or using your carriers - plus a little micromanagement.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:46 pm

dawnchorus wrote:You can usually arrange a simultaneous bomber atack by launching them to a converging point or using your carriers - plus a little micromanagement.

Exactly. Airbases, as far as I am concerned, serve two purposes. They are for defense (fighters to take out bombers before they can launch, bombers to take out subs), and are a launch platform for bombers. As fighters don't have that much range, I try to place my airbases in such a way that I can cover my entire coastal airspace with fighters, and get them out far enough to be of any use against bombers. Coordinating a bomber strike really isn't that hard -- towards the end of Defcon 3 or the beginning of Defcon 2, launch all of your bombers, and put them on a route to some point, parallel to your target(s). Then, when Defcon 1 hits, send them in. I will try to get a screenshot the next time I do it.

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 pm

I often try to use them for scouting, too, when radar coverage alone isn't enough. But this is less effective than using Carrier fighters, of course. To that end, I usually put at least one airfield near a border and use it to make overflights of enemy territory. Then I put others further away from the front lines, so I can launch my bombers and be reasonably sure that they won't be attacked by enemy fighters or AA before I get to task them with targets.

I also use martialling points to get my bombers from disparate bases to make a big strike all at once. It takes a bit of micro, but it works quite well.
Rednecksith
level1
level1

Postby Rednecksith » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I usually place 1 or 2 by the coast to back up my fleets; the rest are always further inland (within reasonable distance of my radar installations). It's worked well so far.
Now, lets us rain some DOOM down upon the FILTHY heads of our DOOMED enemies!
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 am

Usually when placing airfields I plan on scouting other countries, so I place them pretty close to the border of any side that has a rival country. I like to scatter them but I like your idea, I'll try that next time.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:45 am

Its okay to place airbases scattered, because as I place them I already have 1 gathering point in mind where I can gather the bombers to which is at relatively same distance from all the airbases.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:54 am

..................................your avatar... :?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”