I always lose

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

PsychicKid
level2
level2

I always lose

Postby PsychicKid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:59 am

I've read a lot of the FAQs and guides here and experimented on my own, but I can never win a game. No matter if it's multiple players or 1 on 1, I always end up losing the most.

Very frequently my subs get demolished as soon as I raise them to fire, crippling my offense of getting rid of their silos completely. Same with my Carrier Bombers. As soon as they get to the enemy, they get shot down right away, along with any nukes they do get off. My naval fleets go down real fast, what Carriers do survive, generally aren't able to do much. My subs tend to survive, but when I open fire with them, they go down in a heart beat.

My air fields are never of any use, because the enemy is too far out of range to bomb or scout, or my bombers get shot down as they enter enemy territory.

And yes, the good old silo. Always, always, always a miserable failure. Whether it's shooting at the enemy or defending, I can ALWAYS count on it to fail.

Seriously, what am I doing wrong? :(
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 am

Send you fighters out first to scout for the enemy silos, once you find them, you can attack them with your bombers, the range of the bombers SRBM is larger then the silos defense, so they wont get shot down, and attack the closet silos, ie don’t have bombers fly over other silos. It's quite easy to have bombers deliver their payload without getting hit.

You nukes will get shot down, but the trick is to overwhelm the enemy defenses, group all bombers together, use both bombers from your airbase (they have massive range) and carriers, time them so they will arrive at the same time, use subs at the same time as well.

Subs are weak, and will easily get destroyed when they surface by enemy planes battleships, best way is attack from unexpected locations, where the enemy battleships will most likely not be, and launch from outside the enemy radar range, that why their bombers will have to fly out and see you before they start shooting, given your subs extra time. Best why is if you have battleships left over, place them between you subs and the enemy, then they will shoot down any threats to your subs.

Hope this helps
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:36 am

Would it be a good idea to practice against the CPU? Like have a large free for all battle with me and five CPU, or splitting them up into teams? Or is the CPU just not good enough to practice with for later play against humans?

I don't understand. You say to use my fighters to scout, but yet my battleships are not enough to take out the enemy navy. If I use my Carriers to help fight at sea, I won't have any fighters to scout or bombers to bomb, so either way I lose. >_<
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:56 am

Since everyone starts with the same fleets, it what you do with your fleets which will make you win, at the start of defcon 3, keep them close to your shore, and wait for the enemy to come to you, there fore you will have the support of your radar, silos and airbases. Then send out all your fighters, they regenerate, so you can afford to lose some, there are lots of threads about fleet battles, and what to target with what. I tend to lose fleet battles, so i'm not the best person to ask for advice.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:24 am

Hmm whats your nick? If I catch you ingame I'll ally with you. Maybe we can find out what went wrong.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:41 pm

I go by either Justin or PsychicKid ingame.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”