Berring Straight

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cpt_Obvious
level0

Berring Straight

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:39 am

:shock: I have seen players move their fleets playing as russia through the berring straight and into the artic circle. If you can get your fleets into the artic circle you can wreak havoc on north america so i was wondering how do you do this. I have tried numerous times but i can never get the fleet through so i have to go the long way from the top of russia straight across. It takes for ever. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! thanks
Muhstaffan
level0

Postby Muhstaffan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 am

Looking at the map that controls wich areas that are sailable, it shouldn't be possible to sail through the bering without modding the game...

Is it possible to do server-side mods to this file to create hidden paths? This could be a cheating problem...
Nuke Me Slowly
level1
level1

Postby Nuke Me Slowly » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:14 am

You can get there by sailing above russia all the way from the Kara Sea. No mods required.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Muhstaffan wrote:Is it possible to do server-side mods to this file to create hidden paths? This could be a cheating problem...

If you change the map, or any other file, then try to use it in a game with people that do not have the modded files, you will receive syncro errors, and not be able to play. So, to answer the question, no.

xander
Archinerd
level1
level1

Postby Archinerd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Sometimes its quicker to sail across the top of Greenland instead of going the other way...
CanoeMan
level1
level1

Postby CanoeMan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 pm

I always go over greenland when I do it. North American is pretty defenseless if you can place two carrier fleets up there.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:34 am

unless in the off chance they anticipated the tactic and placed radar and an airbase there.
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:47 pm

I for one always place at least one radar up in Canada when I play NA. Even if Russia doesn't sneak Carriers up there, it still gives you an extra warning for incoming silo nukes.

Still a good tactic, though. Usually, NA doesn't put any silos up there, clumping them inside the continental US instead. That gives your bombers a good angle to go after infrastructure and at least enough time to arm their nukes before they come under attack. It just means you have to go after their northen radars first, which isn't too much trouble.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:04 pm

You can go through bering, move your ships from behind it and click to move way past tthe strait itself, and they go through it.
Canton
level0

Postby Canton » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:28 pm

I'd really like to see that (on an unmodded map, natch). If it's possible (without being cheating) then it changes the naval picture significantly.
Mr_Monday
level1
level1

Postby Mr_Monday » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:11 am

You can go through bering, move your ships from behind it and click to move way past tthe strait itself, and they go through it.

I've noticed (while trying to mod in the bering straight, coincidently) this same phenomenon, however, it was over mainland siberia not the bering straight. I'm not sure how the two are related because i didn't change anything else other than the bering straight in the files. Anyway, when i clicked anywhere over russia, with a ship in the north-mid pacific, the ship would make a straight line to where i sent it and sail directly over the land (when according to the sailable.bmp file, this was still regarded as land, not water). So i'm not surprised that this happens without changing any of the files, i'm sure if you tried you could have this happen more often over any landmass, if you just position your ship correctly and click waayyyy off.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:43 am

Yep. I ordered subs in mid pacific to africa and two of them went through australia, right through. Ill get a screeny tommorow.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”