Decapitation strike

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

level1
level1

Decapitation strike

Postby #1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:57 am

Works for me on two player all the time.

1) 3 groups of 4 subs, on active sonar as soon as defcon 3
2) Launch 3 fighters from each base to explore
3) Decimate their naval forces, keep subs back behind main fleet to take out enemy subs
4) Once naval battle is done position your subs behind whats left of your navy to prevent land based attacks
5) Launch 4 subs nukes at a silo, repeat for a total of 8 nukes.
6) Repeat with other silos and airbases
7) Once empty return subs to active sonar, bring next group of subs in and launch at other silos
8) Once completed they have no nukes left whatsoever, use ICBMs and bombers on all cities

Quick. Fast. Very little way to prevent.

GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:07 am

Assuming you win naval battle ;)
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 pm

I've found that a surprising number of people are very bad at winning naval battles.
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
mehoo462
level2
level2

Postby mehoo462 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:56 pm

you also have to find all their silos...

launching that many fighters may reveal a few things, but certainly not enogh to decapitate them (unless your REAL lucky)
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:47 pm

That strategy is easy to counter. If I put my airbases near the coast, I could launch a ton of fighters and bombers to take out your navy. Its possible to flank your navy with bombers and hit your subs with naval combat from behind.

Basically, its your navy fighting my navy+my airbases+radar coverage and air defense. the defender has a huge tactical advantage is a full out assault. Plus you assume I'll put my subs right next to my fleet. So you can't attack them if you can't find them. And if you foolishly put your subs in active sonar mode, I'll know where they are at. and I'll make sure I have bombers circling the area, so when they pop up to launch, they'll be destroyed before they can launch 1 nuke.
Typhoon
level1
level1

Postby Typhoon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:29 am

Your fleet would have to be spread out pretty far to catch all the enemy subs too - I almost always get my subs to skirt around and away from the middle of the oceans to explicitly avoid the opposition's navy; if any of my subs stray into the path of enemy ships I immediately move them off out of the way.

This way I have ten to twelve subs to rain down on the enemy from close in.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:23 am

it is also important to note that if you see active sonar pings from subs that aren't your own, it would be wise to send a few bombers to deliver thier nukes to that area. its possible to destroy subs without them ever surfacing using nukes
RedMenace
level2
level2

Postby RedMenace » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 am

Very nice plan, but, what about Wing Attack Plan R? :shock:
Renegatus
level1
level1

Postby Renegatus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:27 pm

Corbeau wrote:I've found that a surprising number of people are very bad at winning naval battles.

I've found it to be a battle of numbers. Assuming you have all your units placed almost together (for example, playing as Europe) you can move them as a "convoy" and effectively attack each of the enemy's single fleets with six of your own.
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Nations other than Europe can do that too, incidentally. You just have to set up alliances to cover where your fleets aren't. Hopefully by the time the alliance is near the breaking point, you can afford to divert some strength to cover your other coast.

There are tactics to gain local superiority against an evenly matched foe, but you're right that it's easy to smash a divided enemy.
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates

Return to “Strategic Air Command”