In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

When do you break your alliance?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Let them break it, I'm having fun!
50%
Early, let's fight like men!
50%
I'll tell him only when he can see the bomb from his window!
No votes

Total votes: 6
GlassThatRock
level1
level1

Postby GlassThatRock » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:40 pm

I just had a whole game with a 2v1 alliance where my ally spent so much time and attention on hitting the other guy that he never noticed his silos, radars and airfields were all disappearing one by one. I even sub launched a bunch of stuff on his last four silos and he still didn't realise it was me doing it rather than the other player. I mean how dumb do you have to be!!

I quit the alliance the second I'd hit his last silo, and sank his last carrier 10 seconds later. Utter silence from him on the chat channel while my ICBMs began raining down on his cities. Even while this was happening his subs were still hitting the original enemy, who was already out of the game (and had disconnected in disgust at us not playing at full speed).

I think the poor sod was in shock, but then as I'd hit every single one of his cities 3 or 4 times I guess he wasn't in the mood to be chatty. :wink:
Dunblas
level1
level1

Postby Dunblas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Never join an alliance
DeepQantas
level1
level1

Postby DeepQantas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Well, you don't always need an alliance to backstab anyway. Sometimes cease fire works, too. Just get a good spot (like the second Defcon 3 starts) to fly fighters and bombers all over his country from all sides. If he doesn't notice soon enough you'll have the locations of all his important facilities and are instantly at an advantage.
HUNdefcon
level1
level1

Postby HUNdefcon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:39 pm

blck wrote:Be aware, be prepared and never trust anyone that's my DEFCON mottol

same here. I always keep 6-6 subs near my allies... :lol:
Dikkie
level0

Postby Dikkie » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:45 pm

Be aware, be prepared and never trust anyone that's my DEFCON mottol

I prefer the one from the first IV game.

"Trust is a weakness".
President Muffley
level1
level1

Postby President Muffley » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:53 am

At the last second is always best
Torp
level1
level1

Postby Torp » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 pm

I'm slightly more honourable, and have so far given allies a warning before launching an attack on them.

Granted, the warning has consisted of surfacing subs just outside his coast and saying "sorry" just as I leave the alliance, while any nearby defenses are on ICBM mode. But that's still 120 seconds to find and destroy my subs with bombers.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:42 pm

i have never broken an alliance, but i dont hop into bed with my neighbour's and ally up at start of game, i never trust an alliance, and always warn my would be ally (who i will cease fire with) that i will keep an eye open, and will be watching if they try anything...so far this has been going well,

I shoot down (after fair warning) any planes that try to fly over my territory, and try to secure my naval waters from ally and enemy fleets...basicly, hide those silos for as long as you can :)
ShadowFox37
level1
level1

Postby ShadowFox37 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:22 am

The only 2 games I've played so far weren't diplomacy so there wasn't much backstabbing to be done, although I did convince someone on my alliance's main opposition to join us. I ended up coming in second place.

That's how it generally works with non-Diplomacy games especially if you're russia allied with europe. However, if it's diplomacy, EVERYONE's your enemy
cha0slord12
level0

Postby cha0slord12 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:17 pm

When he launches all of his nukes, and his silos cant defend...
THEFALCON
level0

backstabbing!

Postby THEFALCON » Thu May 10, 2007 2:25 am

Backstabbing is only beneficial when you are sure you can hit your target quickly and with little return fire. I rarely backstab. It's only when I want to kill someone, but also use their nukes to kill another opponent. Then I'll let him do his business, and then nuke him to hell. Example: Diplo match- As USA, I allied with SA. Then Asia requested an alliance. I talked with SA and we decided to let him kill Russia for us, and consequently have the navy near tokyo be weakened by fighting with russia. As soon as Russia was out of the picture SA and me kicked Asia and I marched on over to tokyo and met little resistance when I bombed it flat.
PSBirch
level2
level2

Postby PSBirch » Thu May 10, 2007 3:04 am

The only time it's worth stabbing is when the difference is between first and second place. In fact, a *good* Ally will break the alliance then turn on their cease-fire and let you win.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”