How many hits does it take to destroy......

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Spitfire
level1
level1

How many hits does it take to destroy......

Postby Spitfire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Radar - 1?

Air Base - 2?

Silo - 4?

Nuke - 4?

Fighter ?

Bomber ?

Carrier ?

Battleship ?

Submarine - One deapth charge kills. How many torpedoes?

City - One nuke takes out half the population?

Anybody know?
I would like to have a health bar that pops up when you scroll over a unit, friendly or enemy, so you know how much more damage it can take.
Last edited by Spitfire on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:34 pm

it's been said (forgte by who) that all units only take 1 hit to kill. There's a hit % associatd with each unit.

silo's are 3 & a city depends on the population.
Spitfire
level1
level1

Postby Spitfire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:38 pm

That can't be, as I've seen aircraft and ships take multiple hits before going down.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:38 pm

click on the unit you want o attack with and hover the mouse cursor over n enemy unit. the info box will tell you how good the attack is. I think it ranges from low, medium, high and very high.

fighter vs bomber is very high.
fighter vs submarine is low
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Spitfire wrote:That can't be, as I've seen aircraft and ships take multiple hits before going down.

The idea is that every hit has a % chance of destroying the target. The ones that hit but didn't destroy must have failed the dice roll, as it were.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Hegemon Hog wrote:
Spitfire wrote:That can't be, as I've seen aircraft and ships take multiple hits before going down.

The idea is that every hit has a % chance of destroying the target. The ones that hit but didn't destroy must have failed the dice roll, as it were.

To expand upon that, you could look at the little explosions as near misses. The weapon is set to detonate at some proximity to the target. It will detonate when it thinks it will take out the enemy, but it has a chance of missing. If it looks like it hit, but doesn't destroy the unit, it was a near miss :)

xander
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:58 pm

No, don't think of them as near misses, because then you'll be wondering why you're firing proximity-fused missiles at ships. :P

Think of them as missiles that failed, for whatever reason, to result in a mission kill. If you must have more detail than that, either they were shot down (by SAMs/point defense from ships) or dodged/spoofed/detonated too far away (fighters/bombers)--or were simply insufficient to render the target inoperable.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:25 am

or think of it as a critical hit, one which hits in such a way to cause catastrophic failure. Its possible to bomb the deck of an aircraft carrier, but that type of damage won't sink it all by itself.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:09 am

All units in the game have 1 hp.

But they have one helluva dodge factor.
Soldant
level2
level2

Postby Soldant » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:05 am

Nuclear hits:
Radar - 1
Airbase - 2 but first hit reduces aircraft
Silo - 3 but first hit reduces nuclear stockpile.

As for the rest: they can only sustain one damaging hit.

I was told it works like this: Each shot has a chance to hit. If it fails the chance to hit, it doesn't hit (duh). If it does hit, it has a chance to damage the unit. If it fails this check, it explodes, but it doesn't destroy the unit (maybe it was a glancing hit or it couldn't destroy it or something, make up your own story). If it hits and it damages, then the unit is destroyed.

I was told this was done because it would take a lot of resources to calculate individual HP for units, so IV decided to just do it on chance. That doesn't make sense to me since there are other games that have way more units with individual HP stats, but maybe it was different for DEFCON.

In any event, that seems to be backed up by watching it in game; sometimes a missile will go down with four hits, other times you can land ten and it'll still hit the city. I suppose this is also a gameplay mechanic thing, since if all nukes had (example) 4 hp, it'd be easier to defend from a strike and then we wouldn't have everybody dying.
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:29 am

GoldenShadow wrote:click on the unit you want o attack with and hover the mouse cursor over n enemy unit. the info box will tell you how good the attack is. I think it ranges from low, medium, high and very high.

No, that is actually the chance that unit will get attacked. for exemple, a lone undected sub north of siberia will have a rating of none, while a battle ship at the big naval brawl in mid-atlantic will have a very high rating.
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:33 am

I think that the defcon combat system is extremely good. Why? Because in reality, units don't have hitpoints. They are either undamaged, damaged but able to function, or rendered combat ineffective. A single hit on practically any modern unit has the potential to remove it from action. It probably won't be the first shot fired at a unit that kills it, but that shot could do the job under the right circumstances (which are boiled down to luck on the strategic scale).
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Spitfire
level1
level1

Postby Spitfire » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Interesting. So the "hits" that I have seen units taking aren't really hitting the units. I had no idea units only had one HP.

I also thought that the, low, medium, high, very high rating was how successful an attack would be.

This is gonna change things for me.
dawnchorus
level2
level2

Postby dawnchorus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:54 pm

I agree with Corbeau. There being a random chance of destruction is very realistic, even from one missile. It is possible to sink a ship with one missile, albeit a slight chance. It has happened in reality. Similarly, it is possible to hit a target many times without it suffering critical damage. If you can plan an attack based on hitpoints, that;s not realistic at all. I became disillusioned with hitpoint-based games a while ago (see here). That degree of predictability isn't in keeping with the randomness of battle, or even sport, for that matter.
Soldant
level2
level2

Postby Soldant » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:55 pm

A. Smith wrote:
GoldenShadow wrote:click on the unit you want o attack with and hover the mouse cursor over n enemy unit. the info box will tell you how good the attack is. I think it ranges from low, medium, high and very high.

No, that is actually the chance that unit will get attacked. for exemple, a lone undected sub north of siberia will have a rating of none, while a battle ship at the big naval brawl in mid-atlantic will have a very high rating.

I don't get that... why then isn't Very High in bright red to indicate it has a high chance of getting attacked?

Return to “Strategic Air Command”