diplomacy is awesome

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

kniteli
level0

diplomacy is awesome

Postby kniteli » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:31 am

post strats/games of diplomacy youve had:

first one I played yesterday, was terrific. I was playing as USSR, EU contacted me for underhanded alliance, so I did not trust him of course, and I contacted Asia and recruited him into same sub-alliance. One player, South America, dropped in the beginning so we hammered that CPU in the beginning, actually, i sat back and let others waste their nukes. NA got was shopping around for someone to backstab with him and got him self kicked out of the main alliance and hammered by the others, again I let my allies do the dirty work, and while they were distracted, I surreptitiously nuked 2 radars and an airfield in EU territory, because my subs were near them on the northern peninsula of EU. Eventually the three allies (meaning our little sub-alliance) kicked africa out of the main alliance and destroyed him, again I held back, mostly because I was far away and could get away with it, and took the opportunity to knock the last radars out that were near the EU/USSR border. I also knocked out two radars in the north part of Asia, and was finally caught. I finally got kicked out and proceeded to hammer the heck out of my "allies" who had spent everything killing the others, EU never stood a chance against my bombers and subs with half their radar knocked out, and Asia never expected the sub-launch off her east shore, subs that had been there the entire game (allies cant see subs). At the end of the game I ended up with a score of 96 (out of 100, lost 2 for a collateral and another 2 for a city that got hit) while my "allies" were down in the 30-50 range. The EU player, who was also the host, didnt seem thrilled and cut the game before I could look at all the tallies, but overall prolly the most fun I've had with the game so far, it gets very intense, alot of the time there is absolutely nothing happening and the intensity is through the roof because you know something is about to. I highly recommend diplomacy to everyone, as its a great game mode and highly entertaing, word of warning though, if you get angry when your backstabbed stay clear of it, thats the name of the game in this mode.

Basic Points of Strategy I picked up from that one game:

-Let others do the work so you dont have to
-Be sneaky and underhanded, instigate attacks by claiming so-and-so contacted you with a proposition to take someone out (do this surreptitiously, pming the other players). Great fun!
-Pick off stuff with bombers when you think others might be distracted somewhere else. Best used at the extremes of a players territory, such as far east russia or northern EU, just be careful, cause if they see it you might be done. But dont hesitate to blame someone else if your planes have already landed. Might even try an excuse if they do see them in the air, I told the Asia player that I was trying to stop Africas bombers with mine but I couldnt stop them in time, didnt work obviously but was fun =).
-Keep your subs hidden till you absolutely must use them, they are the only thing that allies cant see on shared radar and so are your best bet for surprise.
-Basically, play politics (not diplomacy, diplomacy is much too nice for what you need to win).
-Remember, you can only LOSE points, never make them up, so defense is your #1 priority, get in nukes when you can.

Hope you all enjoy this mode as much as I did.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:04 pm

Yea, I love diplomacy too. I find your first tactic is exactly what I do! :D Earlier, my EU and Asia allies were like 'RUSSIA LAUNCH NUKES' and I was like 'You first'

Return to “Strategic Air Command”