Backstabbing

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Liam079
level1
level1

Backstabbing

Postby Liam079 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:46 am

People need to post their best backstabbing moments, by far the best part of any game.
My best was then I had bombers over my allies territory and then left the alliance and blew the crap out of him. His defense didn't have enough time as I was right over target citys.
nimby
level1
level1

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:47 am

Was playing with 2 friends over a LAN.

Me being Asia, friend 1 Europe and 2 South America. I allied with South America, got him to attack Europe with me (he did some minor damage to western Europe, while I nuked East Europe's radars). Then when Europe started to attack South america, I quit alliance and unleash 12 subs worth of nukes on South America. I racked up 90 million kills (200 million per territory, we wanted to see big megadeaths!).

After that assault, a huge bomber wave wiped out East Europe's last air defense/radar, so I had free reign in obliterating my friends!

Course, it helped that it was their second game and I had one evening of experience :roll:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:50 am

Anyone who plays me finds out the true meaning of backstabbing. :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Mirray
level1
level1

Postby Mirray » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 am

Montyphy wrote:Anyone who plays me finds out the true meaning of backstabbing. :P

Was that you I was playing against earlier today? My ingame name is EarlyMorning.

My best backstab was a few moments ago, as the USA. I allied up with South America to go up against the USSR. While the USSR did get a few nukes into New York City (but none in Chicago and Houston), we pretty much blew everything os his up. However, I kept a few submarines off South American shore, just in case. Turned out that he placed all his nukes up north, leaving his south completely vulnerable... Sao Paulo will never be the same again.
The game ended with me at 1st place with about 160 so points. Yay!

I love backstabbing people when they have complete trust in you. Then they say stuff like "Burn in Hell" or "Go to Hell" or "*something involving* H-E-Double-Hockey_sticks". While most people feel emo about it, the important thing to keep in perspective is that this is a game. While it's wrong to backstab people (bloody bloody) in real life, it's acceptable to backstab people in Defcon. As such, do it!
Brash Kiwi
level1
level1

Postby Brash Kiwi » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:57 am

I've been back-stabbed a few times, and I congratulate them on a well-played strategy. Remember: All's fair in Love and War.
carelesshx
level0

Re: Backstabbing

Postby carelesshx » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:19 am

Liam079 wrote:People need to post their best backstabbing moments, by far the best part of any game.
My best was then I had bombers over my allies territory and then left the alliance and blew the crap out of him. His defense didn't have enough time as I was right over target citys.

Oh yes... me as North America allied with Europe, in a Diplomacy game. Fleet of 12 bombers flying across the Atlantic, supposedly heading for Russia. Over mainland Europe: bye-bye alliance, bye-bye London, Paris, Manchester, Barcelona, in fact bye-bye most of Europe :D

What could I do? He was 25 points ahead of me and I was languishing in 4th place. I couldn't very well rely on everyone else to kill him, could I?

I went on to win that game and didn't suffer any further losses :)
True Blue
level2
level2

Postby True Blue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 am

carelesshx wrote:
Liam079 wrote:People need to post their best backstabbing moments, by far the best part of any game.

Oh yes... me as North America allied with Europe, in a Diplomacy game. Fleet of 12 bombers flying across the Atlantic, supposedly heading for Russia. Over mainland Europe: bye-bye alliance, bye-bye London, Paris, Manchester, Barcelona, in fact bye-bye most of Europe :D

What could I do? He was 25 points ahead of me and I was languishing in 4th place. I couldn't very well rely on everyone else to kill him, could I?

Bubbles? :?
"War. War never changes." - Fallout Narrator
carelesshx
level0

Postby carelesshx » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:02 pm

True Blue wrote:
carelesshx wrote:

Bubbles? :?

Yes, posting as my other handle.
Santiago
level0

Postby Santiago » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:06 pm

Which is probably why at least I wouldnt allow bombers to pass my territory...
MarkyX
level1
level1

Postby MarkyX » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I'll tell you my backstabbing moment.

Some guy did it to me, despite I have six subs waiting at his coastline and six carriers just in case of such a situation occurs. In fact, if he didn't backstab me, I wouldn't have won the game.

My best backstabbing moment ever.
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
tellatubby
level1
level1

Postby tellatubby » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:03 pm

http://dokonimo.net/temp/defcon-launch- ... finals.png

I am red. My allie was green. He didn't notice 10-15 of my bombers flying towards his territory. I almost won, but then all of the players made an alliance against me. I ended up losing by about 15 points.
MrFoo
level1
level1

Postby MrFoo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:57 pm

I just had the best game. With a great double-back-stab.

6 player game, starts out 3 vs 3 EU (me) ,USSR and Asia as green, the americas and south africa as blue.

Start of the game, the usual naval battles, USA/Africa's fleet attack europe, but get too close as the silos keep the aircraft down, whilst land based bombers wreak havoc. Similar story off Japan.

EA/Asia have plan to back-stab USSR, asia parts green alliance, and launches bombers to take out stuff. Whilst USSR is busy, EU uses bombers to take out the 4 silos around moscow, without breaking the alliance. As soon as the path is clear, I join Asia in the new red alliance, and nuke the living hell out of russia. It glowed well. Minor skirmishes with USA/africa happening during this, long story short eastern US sea-bord is glowing.

Then the second, glorious back-stab. I launch from 3 silos telling my alliance-mate that I'm "clearing out eastern russia" so he doesn't worry about nukes. Just before first one hits Asian cities, I say "Dude, I've got some bad news..." .. Asia is left gently glowing, though Japan survives.

End of game, I'm the clear winner 231:141:(4 negative scores) :)

Victory shot: http://www.hardcorepawn.com/defcon/backstab.jpg
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 pm

i had a great one last night, i was asia and teamed up with russia against US, russia completely took out US with a little help from me so i could get some points and he spent all his nukes on attacking US so i just launched everything i got and won the game, was a special moment lol
How about a nice game of chess?
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm

MrFoo wrote:I just had the best game. With a great double-back-stab.

Ohyes. I'd been too busy with my pre-emptive strike on Africa, then my initial alliance-breaking attack on Russia to be prepared for another attack on Europe - all my subs were stationed off the Americas...

I had very few nukes left by the time you launched your strike. It's a shame you didn't time it to coincide with the ICBMs raining down from North America - I'm amazed none got through from that, but with a few more Tokyo could easily have been uninhabitable rubble.

I liked what one of the spectators said when he saw my missles heading up to Russia. A simple 'wtf' expressed the situation perfectly...
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:17 pm

^^^^ that sounds like it was an awesome game guys.

There was some shady backdoor diplomacy going on in my game.

I was USSR and had a secret 3-way cease-fire with EU and NA (the Northern Bloc, if you will). Publicly, my secret NA ally teamed with SA while I allied with Africa. This meant all I really needed to do was butcher Asia and SA, which I did with flying colors (meanwhile my African ally was being bombed to smithereens by the EU *shrugs*)

Due to some incautious planning, I started with a fleet up near EU (other than my super secret submarines... shhh) which I moved out after his threatening me over it, so the whole time he was really twitchy about our cease-fire. Lo and behold, I look up to find a massive barrage of nukes descending from North America, while bombers and Nukes come at me from EU. Bastards coordinated a stab on me!

Luckily, I was already setting similar plans in motion myself, and had a fleet of bombers heading across the pacific to bomb LA and san francisco. Once the fallout dust settled over my motherland, I activated the remaining silos, surfaced my super secret submarines, and did my best to blast the EU to the stone age.

End game saw me leading the EU by a small margin. Hats off to Jade. well played.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”