Overwhelmed..is it just me?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Darwin00uk
level2
level2

Overwhelmed..is it just me?

Postby Darwin00uk » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:13 pm

Quite a steep learning curve compared to Introversions other games , I guess I'm gonna persevere hopefully it will start to come together but at the moment I'm getting a touch confused about what the hell is going on at times and why I'm getting so mashed! Anyway, a game guide would be great.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I think in a couple of days we could make a stickied index thread covering various areas with links to their respective discussion threads as a game guide.

Ideally we need people to write newbie guides for various things.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Darwin00uk
level2
level2

Postby Darwin00uk » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:26 pm

I agree, a newbie guide would be great, covering everything thats in the tutourial but in more detail. I can only guess that the advanced tactics I've been reading are from Beta testers. Then again I'm 35 and these guys are young, sharp and intuative!
skeuri
level1
level1

Postby skeuri » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:22 pm

It's not just you... I'm 34 and overwhelmed as well. Right now the only tactic I came up with is just swarming those enemy silos and hope something draws their attention away from another bomber/nuke.
Also visit: SKEURI.nl my latest atempts at webdesign and Dutch Peanut Force Holland's friendliest e-sport community.
OddAffection
level0

Postby OddAffection » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:06 am

I'll sign up to the '30-something and overwhelmed' brigade. I'm 36 and overwhelmed by the bleedin' CPU players. Probably lucky for me that I haven't been able to join an online game yet.

I'm loving the game though, and I've been trying to explain to people what it's like without much success. I put together this short little clip of gameplay of me getting an absolute pulverising from the CPU earlier tonight. The video was a rush-job as I had to leave for work. In the clip, I'm playing as Europe against South America and Asia, and I get it all wrong..... (If you haven't seen Dr Strangelove the music choice will seem strange.)

http://media.putfile.com/DEFCONhammering

Talk about getting it wrong. I've just been launching and sort of hoping for the best in my few games so far. Standing at the bus stop earlier on my way to work I had a brainwave about making loads of fleets of just one sub each and hiding them away until the endgame.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:12 am

<snip>
Last edited by daset on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:15 am

OddAffection wrote:I had a brainwave about making loads of fleets of just one sub each and hiding them away until the endgame.

Yeah, I had that idea too, I assume thats too obvious to work though. I don't know, I'm no teeny either, and it looks like the CPU will be beating me for a fair while yet.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Arson
level0

Postby Arson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 am

Speaking for the young 24 year old group I can say it's not your age. The computer is just a bit tough on you.
OddAffection
level0

Postby OddAffection » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:34 am

Mighty Santa wrote:
OddAffection wrote:I had a brainwave about making loads of fleets of just one sub each and hiding them away until the endgame.

Yeah, I had that idea too, I assume thats too obvious to work though. I don't know, I'm no teeny either, and it looks like the CPU will be beating me for a fair while yet.

My vision was of creating 10 to 15 single-sub fleets and holding them back behind and diagonally away from the main action, then timing things just right to make them all arrive at the enemy coastline at just the right time. My guess is that neither a CPU or human opponent would keep enough naval units in reserve to have the coverage to stop all but a few of them getting through. And then you wait for the CPU to launch (I've always stupidly launched first so far), and lo! you have a dozen fully-loaded 'cloaked' subs sitting in a pretty line all down his coast....

I'm going to try it out tomorrow!
OddAffection
level0

Postby OddAffection » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:39 am

Arson wrote:Speaking for the young 24 year old group I can say it's not your age. The computer is just a bit tough on you.

I don't think any of the 30-somethings here meant it seriously. Just a bit of whimsy is all. Regarding the CPU difficulty: I'm sure it just seems difficult now - and even if it remains difficult, I hope they never change it. I like difficult games.
Ambush
level0

Postby Ambush » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:03 am

Im 34 as well. I played against the computer for 5 hours Friday night after purchasing the game. I finally got to the point where I can hold my own for the most part. Against human opponents its a little more tricky.

My main strategy is to try and get my subs and carriers as close to their coast as I can. Then wait for them to use their silos. Reason being that it takes quite awhile for a silo to switch back to air defense once its launched a missile. Hopefully you get a player who will use the majority of his silos all at once. If they peacemeal it then its alot harder to get thru. But basically as soon as a launch is detected you launch your bombers from your carriers and you missiles from your subs at the silos. Now dont launch everything, you dont want to waste all of your nukes on the silos. But if your in a good spot then its alot easier to do. Once youve got the bulk or all of his silos down, and the missiles from said silos are shot down, then you can use your silos against his cities. I almost never use my silos until the very end.

Whats hard about this strategy is being on opposites ends of the earth. Subs take forever to get where they need to go, and atleast for me it seems, that most of the time they get their too late. And the rest of my naval units usually get tore up by the enemies navy. I try to put a good mix of battleships, 2 carriers with one on antisub, and atleast 1 sub.

Ultimately what Ive found is that playing against one enemy, whether it be human or cpu, sucks! The game is a lot easier playing with teams, 2v2 or 3v3. Even if your isolated on a continent you can hold your own till your teammates can support you. The biggest key is leave your silos as air defense for as long as humanly possible. If you see that your down to like 2 or 3 missles left, as a result of being hit, then shoot them off against a target and hope for the best.

Hope this helped some. Im still learning too so Im by no means an expert.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:21 am

I'm only 20 and this game is giving me a problem!

I've never come out on top in the games I've played. First game was negative points. I'm scoring above that now, but only in the single digits.
Bishop136
level0

Postby Bishop136 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:35 am

Same here. I'm 27, and after the Tutorial I felt ready to take on the compy... a little bad at naval battles but good at nuke management.

WRONG!!!

I did a 3-way dance, me vs AI vs AI, and I got hammered by naval attacks from both sides, and my cities got nuked to heck and back. Never lost one silo, radar, or airbase, though... By the time I started launching, there were no prime targets to hit. I got my score back into the positive, but not by much. Lesson learned: To score big, hit undamaged cities first, then work down the population line.

Side note: You can target ships with nukes. Do they actually hit, or just waste a nuke in the ocean? I never noticed if they worked or not, but the ships sometimes moved away to target my other cities and launch fighters at my long-range bombers.
Why would a company called Franco-American make Italian food?
Londonchris
level1
level1

Postby Londonchris » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 am

I`m 36 and totally crap at this game,managed to lose something like 84million to nil last nite :shock:
Maybe we should start an oldie group :idea:
Daemondim
level1
level1

Postby Daemondim » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:00 am

Bishop136 wrote:Side note: You can target ships with nukes. Do they actually hit, or just waste a nuke in the ocean? I never noticed if they worked or not, but the ships sometimes moved away to target my other cities and launch fighters at my long-range bombers.

The answe to this is I think they hit, but there's so much more you can do with nukes than worry about ships. Launch fighters/bombers to take care of the nasty ships out at sea, and once you've used your subs nukes, go use them to go hunting. Active sonar is a beautiful thing.

The Ships are, in the end, not going to give you much in the way of points, and the bombers take care of them very well, especially if you have 2 airbases launching fighters, and 2 launching naval mode bombers...

Save the nukes for enemy defenses and enemy cities. Radars are prime targets, if you can hit them.

Sea battles took me a while. The carrier is king, with its swarms of fighters, and bombers. Send a fleet of battleships in to get decimated, while launching all the bombers and a couple ships worth of fighters. This should ensure air superiority and sea oblitteration (Naval mode on bombers is amazing.) take out your enemies bombers with fighters, since they'll probably be removing your battleships, who will be removing the enemy fighters, which are trying to remove your bombers. Confused yet? It basically comes down to getting your bombers out there, and protected by fighters.

Hope that helps some.
Dae

Return to “Strategic Air Command”