What is "colateral damage" in the game?

Postby BorstiMa » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm

What is "colateral damage" in the game?
What causes it?
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:57 pm

My understanding was that it's when you damage your allies. However, i'm not sure exactly how that's done. My guess would be that you can only do it when you have "ceasefire" turned off, but I know for a fact that I've done collateral damage when "ceasefire" was never turned off during the game.

Regardless, you want to avoid getting collateral damage because it subtracts from your point total (i don't know how much).

Anyone know more about this?
ARRG
level1
level1

Postby ARRG » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:46 pm

It seems to happen when you have your own nukes exploding soon after being shot or too close of your own cities in general.
Am I the only one who thinks more of the Eiffel Tower, the Kremlin or the Coliseum than of people when nuking cities ?

(PS: excuse my possibly-bad english ^^')
Behrditz
level1
level1

Postby Behrditz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:49 pm

ive gotten collateral damage during a 1 vs 1 game. Therefore, its not "attacking allies" It IS the most score damaging thing there is too, -2 points as opposed to -1. Im THINKING its when you somehow hurt yourself...maybe like....trying to shoot down an enemy nuke and having the air defense missile hit a city, or having one of your planes run out of fuel and crash into a city.

Just my ideas
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:54 am

If you turn radiation view on you will see when your area glows, its gonna "grow" collateral damage over time. It's very deadly to scores when you got your whole continent glowing earlier in the game, while those who got shot at last will have less collateral penalty.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:01 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Collateral is damage done on the side. It's indirect. In Defcon that means the fallout damage. It's when a lot of radiation is at one place and kills another few million in a city. You get extra points deducted in Standard mode for that because then a lot of nukes have passed your defense. You can find the manual online somewhere on the steam storefront; it's described in there.

I know this because I've tested the game 8)

Jelco

Fallout damage? That's not described in the manual and it hasn't been mentioned anywhere by Chris or anyone else. I've only been deducted collateral points a few of the many times I've played and I've never finished a game without glowing fairly bright (I'm not the best player). I think collateral is when you damage yourself. One thing I do know is that whenever there's a white glow, whether it be a detonated nuke or a destroyed fighter, it damages all units in its radius (you can destroy a radar with a fighter's explosion; I've done it). I think collateral is when your own explosions happen above your own cities.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:44 pm

I did a 1v1 AI game, didn't place any silos, and let the computer bomb the heck out of me. By the time he was finished, Africa was glowing pretty bright, but since the AI is dumb, he saved just enough bombs that the victory timer never started. But I had it on full speed and minutes passed, but my collateral stayed at 0. Then I tried a new game with silos and the whole deal, then bombed myself immediately after defcon 1. My collateral went up to around 2.5 before I quit. So yes, collateral means self-damage. And people wonder why they get collateral points when they don't nuke themselves, but that's because one of your fighters or nukes was destroyed above one of your cities.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:23 pm

wwarnick wrote:I did a 1v1 AI game, didn't place any silos, and let the computer bomb the heck out of me. By the time he was finished, Africa was glowing pretty bright, but since the AI is dumb, he saved just enough bombs that the victory timer never started. But I had it on full speed and minutes passed, but my collateral stayed at 0. Then I tried a new game with silos and the whole deal, then bombed myself immediately after defcon 1. My collateral went up to around 2.5 before I quit. So yes, collateral means self-damage. And people wonder why they get collateral points when they don't nuke themselves, but that's because one of your fighters or nukes was destroyed above one of your cities.

You can also get collateral if you nuke an ally's city, or if you nuke an enemy city very close to one of your own (this can be a problem with Europe when nuking the USSR).

xander
nimby
level1
level1

Postby nimby » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:41 pm

Collateral damage has -nothing- to do with radiation. Radiation is just for show.

Collateral damage is:

1) Casualties inflicted while still allied. A 'sneak attack' on a current ally that involves his cities blowing up will -cost- you 2 points for every megadeath.
2) Casualties inflicted on yourself/allies by your shot down nukes/planes over their cities. I'm not sure about planes, but I've seen AA shoot down one of my nukes while it crossed Teheran, and it inflicted 0.3 million casualties.
MajorKingKong
level0

Colateral damage - radar destroyed during defcon 3

Postby MajorKingKong » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:08 pm

I've seen it happen against the AI in a game once. I launched scouting fighters over their territory, their air defense shot down my fighter as it was directly flying over one of their radar stations and the radar station was destroyed (all during defcon 3) ... was quite nice, I wonder if their is a way to use it to your advantage (i.e. using the enemy's own air defence to damage their structures ....) :wink:
prozachar
level1
level1

Postby prozachar » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:10 pm

I've been charged with small amounts of collateral damage when I play as NA against an AI Africa, which is odd because I've never been in a situation where I didn't have unchallenged air superiority over my own continent. None of my own nukes were ever shot down over my territory.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:39 pm

prozachar wrote:I've been charged with small amounts of collateral damage when I play as NA against an AI Africa, which is odd because I've never been in a situation where I didn't have unchallenged air superiority over my own continent. None of my own nukes were ever shot down over my territory.

One of your fighter's could have been shot down over your territory though. Don't tell me they've never sent any fighters or bombers into your territory.

wwarnick
Keywork
level1
level1

Postby Keywork » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:30 am

I think collateral damage is done by nukes that are not placed on city or military targets, basically, empty space.

Try it sometime, I always get collateral when I click too fast and mistakenly bomb empty space on land.
Fyei
level0

Postby Fyei » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Collateral damage is when you kill people of your own country or your allies, nuke your allies cities while your still in an alliance and watch your score drop like a rock.
Ozy
level0

Postby Ozy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:58 am

I always thought that collateral damage was damage inflicted against you by an opposing side in the following fashion: You place a unit next to a city. The enemy nukes that unit and the city is caught in the blast. The city sustains minor damage.

This is certainly how it always seems to work....
"Canaan is devastated, Ashkelon is fallen, Gezer is ruined, Venoam is reduced to nothing, Israel is desolate and Her seed is no more, and Palestine has become a widow for Egypt: All the countries are unified and pacified."

Rameses

Return to “Strategic Air Command”