bomber bombed out.....

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Londonchris
level1
level1

bomber bombed out.....

Postby Londonchris » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:53 am

Don`t fly a bomber direct to a target and launch a missile straight away or it`ll reach the target at the same time and be blown up and lost :roll:
Bit obvious really,but still i manage to do it :lol:
CanoeMan
level1
level1

Postby CanoeMan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:19 am

That's strange, never happened to me. Sure it didn't just get shot down?
rowenlemmings
level1
level1

Postby rowenlemmings » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:24 am

nope, that's what happens.

After takeoff, a bomber needs a certain amount of time (90 secs?) to ready the SRBM, and if that ready time happens to end when the bomber is near the target, the bomber launches the bomb immediately, regardless of its distance from the blast zone, and turns around to land, but if it doesn't make it far enough in time, well, boom.
=- Rowen
=-
=- || No, I won't fix your computer.
krytonix
level0

Postby krytonix » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:36 am

I'm pretty sure the MRBM (bomber) missiles take 240 or 300 seconds before launching. This means if your target isn't very far away from the carrier/airfield, you need to fly it around for a while before attacking. I see lots of people putting bombers into the air and suiciding right into enemy lines. I've done it too many times myself.
Londonchris
level1
level1

Postby Londonchris » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:34 pm

Best off flying somewhere abit off target since the range is pretty good and shooting from there.
ImmRickJames92
level0

Postby ImmRickJames92 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:07 pm

krytonix wrote:I'm pretty sure the MRBM (bomber) missiles take 240 or 300 seconds before launching. This means if your target isn't very far away from the carrier/airfield, you need to fly it around for a while before attacking. I see lots of people putting bombers into the air and suiciding right into enemy lines. I've done it too many times myself.

Yeah I've done that a lot too, but don't the bombers use SRBM's. I think the subs use MRBM's. As of the bombers, you should use them only when you need to because they can easily be shot down.
Yonder
level1
level1

Postby Yonder » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:11 am

Bombers are Short range and need 240 seconds to arm. They are actually extraordinarilly good and have a high survivability rate, if used properly. The key is to launch them from very far away, or keep them circling far away. This way they are armed and launch the second they get into range, then turn around for home. Assuming you own the seas they will be very difficult to kill.
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:23 am

If you think blowing up your bomber is bad, in my first game I blew up my own silo. I was Europe and put my silo a bit too close to some Russian city or other, right on the border. I watched my nuke land on the city and...."SILO DESTROYED"

I was unthrilled.
Londonchris
level1
level1

Postby Londonchris » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:41 am

mxlm wrote:If you think blowing up your bomber is bad, in my first game I blew up my own silo.

:lol: :lol:
Mighty Goose
level1
level1

Postby Mighty Goose » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:18 pm

if your a dealing with trans pacific bombing you want to launch the bombers about 90 seconds into defcon three from your side and then 240 into defcon one they should be just offshore and in pirme firing position... it my favourite tactic because they are laucn and forget so you can concentrate on more important things for defcon 3,2 and 1
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:02 pm

fyi, this could be a good tactic. AA shooting down all your missles? Send in bombers so when they get to target they launch. no time for AA! :)
Deestan
level1
level1

Postby Deestan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 pm

TheHappyFriar wrote:fyi, this could be a good tactic. AA shooting down all your missles? Send in bombers so when they get to target they launch. no time for AA! :)
No, your bomber will just get shot down by AA before it launches, and you lose a bomber and a nuke. :(
Xan
level1
level1

Postby Xan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 am

crap i hate them damn bombers the stupid AI always uses them on me ) and 2 damn effective )
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 am

Deestan wrote:No, your bomber will just get shot down by AA before it launches, and you lose a bomber and a nuke. :(

AA can't be everywhre & hit everything. Basicly, everybody except Europe can have this easily used against them: the city's are spread out to far.
prozachar
level1
level1

Postby prozachar » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 pm

Londonchris wrote:Best off flying somewhere abit off target since the range is pretty good and shooting from there.

The problem with this is that the default behavior for bombers is that once you arm SRBM mode, moving him and picking his target are one and the same. So you have to remember to turn him around before he launches his nuke in the middle of the ocean.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”