Uplink 1.54 Patch/Demo (Windows/Linux)

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

Swift_Sl0th
level0

Postby Swift_Sl0th » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:11 pm

I sorted out the problem by installing the program using the cd which is version 1.31, then installing the patch.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:10 pm

adDictNZ:

1)Update video drivers, Uplink changed the way it handle graphics between 1.31 and 1.54 . (From GLUT to SDL)
2)If you use buggy windows GUI replacement (ie windows blinds) put Uplink in it's exclusion list.
3)If there is a OpenGL32.dll file in the Uplink directory rename it to OpenGL32.dll.bak
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
adDictNZ
level0

thanks

Postby adDictNZ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 am

Thanks frenchfrog i will try these and let you know how it works out,

oh and i do use window blinds so that may be the problem there :P

graphics drivers are already up to date

and ill try the dll rename.... again thanks for the help
:P im really fond of this game

Happier than a happy thing in a room full of happy things! ;)
NotPhil
level0

Re: Uplink 1.54 Patch/Demo (Windows/Linux)

Postby NotPhil » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:20 am

frenchfrog wrote:On Linux, if you hit a crash please report the relevant part of the ~/uplink/debug.log file, please also report the distro you are using. All testing was done on Ubuntu 6.06

I downloaded the Linux installer script, uplink-patch-1.54.sh, and ran it on v1.31 of Uplink, which I had installed in /usr/local/bin, and which wasn't working at all.

The patched version only gets a little further than the original version, though. Version 1.31 couldn't find some shared libraries, and v1.54 says ...
Version 1.54 (RELEASE)
Compiled on Nov 16 2006 at 20:46:23
(code-C)(code-M)(code-T)
Aborted (core dumped)

... but neither Uplink's users folder nor my home folder contain a debug.log.

I'm running Ubuntu v6.10 (32-bit) on an AMD Athlon 64 with a GeForce 6150 video card.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:29 pm

hmmm, perhaps start Uplink with gdb and give the back trace once it crash ('bt' command).

And next time you better post in Bug reports forum
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:12 pm

One bug I've noted recently (after having not played for a while) using the new patch is duplicated agent names: the aliases of two of the agents on the high-ranking list were the same. After performing the mole mission I found that the 'real names' of the agents were nevertheless different (i.e. it wasn't the same agent represented twice). This is hardly a major bug, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Hammerheart
level0

Postby Hammerheart » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 am

I've been having the same problem as NotPhil. I've also got an AMD Athlon 64 on Ubuntu 6.10. Running an ATI X800 video card. At least I know its not ati's drivers this time. I ran the 1.54 update from a 1.00 version and get the exact same crash. No debug.log files anywhere.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:22 pm

frenchfrog wrote:hmmm, perhaps start Uplink with gdb and give the back trace once it crash ('bt' command).

And next time you better post in Bug reports forum
Hammerheart
level0

Postby Hammerheart » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Ok after I did some basic debugging, I found the problem. The .dat files location aren't being included in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The easiest way to fix it is to just move them all into the lib directory where you have uplink installed.

Yeah I know... Bug reports... I'll make a post there for anyone else having the problem but this was the only guy I found reporting it and figured I should let him know.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 am

I'm sure he's been on the edge of his seat for the last 2 months, just waiting for your post.
Hammerheart
level0

Postby Hammerheart » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:52 am

*shrug* Don't know, don't care. Frenchfrog's post about gdb was pretty much useless if he was fairly new to linux so I figured I'd post to help. In any case, I'm done with this one.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:33 pm

Hammerheart wrote:*shrug* Don't know, don't care. Frenchfrog's post about gdb was pretty much useless if he was fairly new to linux so I figured I'd post to help. In any case, I'm done with this one.

I for one thank you for this solution, cause I wasn't able to get Uplink tu run under linux. now it works, thanks for posting the solution, no matter how old the question is.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:26 am

Alyssa wrote:
Hammerheart wrote:*shrug* Don't know, don't care. Frenchfrog's post about gdb was pretty much useless if he was fairly new to linux so I figured I'd post to help. In any case, I'm done with this one.

I for one thank you for this solution, cause I wasn't able to get Uplink tu run under linux. now it works, thanks for posting the solution, no matter how old the question is.

By all means post solutions, just it's better to post them where people will actually see them - unfortunately many people don't use the search function, and as such the main thread on a new patch is not the place people generally look for solutions to specific problems.
NotPhil
level0

Postby NotPhil » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Hammerheart wrote:Ok after I did some basic debugging, I found the problem. The .dat files location aren't being included in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The easiest way to fix it is to just move them all into the lib directory where you have uplink installed.
Thanks for the help. Uplink works now.
KingAl wrote:... it's better to post them where people will actually see them ... and ... the main thread on a new patch is not the place people generally look for solutions to specific problems.
I apologize if I caused any confusion. I posted to this thread because I thought the problem might be the patch.
Agent Sub-Zero
level0

Postby Agent Sub-Zero » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:02 pm

Okay theres patches for windows users and linux users, but will there ever come an patch for mac conversion of uplink... i´m running uplink 1.3 and its does have some bugs that would be nice to get rid which has done with thw patches for the other os'es... please somebody make mac conversion of the patch...
||this is my kung-fu||
my kung-fu is strong your´s is not
Agent Sub-zero

Return to “Latest Patch”