Uplink 1.51 Patch (Windows/Linux), Demo Windows

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Uplink 1.51 Patch (Windows/Linux), Demo Windows

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 am

As usual, download the windows patch, linux patch (note that it requires all the .dat files to be in lib/) or linux patch with installer.
View the full changelog here.
The windows demo.

Added 1.51TRYB for Linux (.tar.gz, installer) with font library dynamically linked, at last font should work correctly!!! (I had to turn a switch in some config file for freetype 2 to finally got it displaying rigth)

On Linux, if you hit a crash please report the relevant part of the ~/uplink/debug.log file, please also report the distro you are using. All testing was done on Ubuntu 6.06 .

Saved games from this version will be incompatible with older versions of Uplink.

Please note that on the linux version, font now use anti-aliasing to try to make them more readable.

Also note that DevCD mods should work again.

VERSION 1.51

- Fixed : Problems with DevCd mods in full screen.
- Fixed : Crash with custom Gateways.
- Fixed : Scrollbars mouse drag problems.
- Fixed : Problem with overlapping IRC Hud on agent logging in.

- Added : New agents now use the defcon world map. (an option was added to use the standard world map)

- Changed : Font rendering on Linux.

- Note : Saved games from this version will be incompatible with older versions of Uplink.
Last edited by frenchfrog on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainbrain
level0

Postby rainbrain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi!

I just tried out the new patch (upgrading from a newly installed 1.31) on SUSE Linux 10.1; I run the game with 1280x1024 in windowed mode on a 1600x1200 laptop display - and the new font (?) looks nice enough, however: the anti-alisasing (?) makes the texts in smaller font sizes quite blurry and not very well readable. Is there a possibility for me to switch off font anti-aliasing?

Also (and I'm very sorry if I'm asking dumb questions here) I'm asked for a key of some kind to produce a new user account. However, when I bought the download version of uplink last night (and then downloaded it) it said "No key necessary". Are the patches only for the developer CD owners? And if not: where do I get a key?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:06 pm

There is no way to turn the font anti-aliasing off, it's directly build-in the font library.

As for the key (card code), the solution would be to provide a full version with the latest beta patch for linux. (Like it's already the case on Windows)
rainbrain
level0

Postby rainbrain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:18 pm

frenchfrog wrote:There is no way to turn the font anti-aliasing off, it's directly build-in the font library.

That is, only a developer could turn it off by setting some kind of flag when using the font library? Or are you using a different font lib than in the other versions which can't switch of anti-aliasing?

As for the key (card code), the solution would be to provide a full version with the latest beta patch for linux. (Like it's already the case on Windows)

Is that likely to happen any time soon or should I just get used to the thought that I must use version 1.31? (I don't want to start playing with 1.31 now and throw away my user account later when upgrading)
Also: Is that card code in the uplink box (not developer's cd) (which will hopefully arrive within the next few days)?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:16 pm

rainbrain wrote:
frenchfrog wrote:There is no way to turn the font anti-aliasing off, it's directly build-in the font library.

That is, only a developer could turn it off by setting some kind of flag when using the font library? Or are you using a different font lib than in the other versions which can't switch of anti-aliasing?

The font library provide 2 ways to render the fonts, Bitmap which give the ugly result of 1.49, 1.50 or pixmap which gives the result of 1.51 (kind of anti-alising).
rainbrain wrote:(I don't want to start playing with 1.31 now and throw away my user account later when upgrading)

You don't have to throw away your agent if it's been created in 1.31 and up.
rainbrain wrote:Also: Is that card code in the uplink box (not developer's cd) (which will hopefully arrive within the next few days)?

Yes it is.
rainbrain
level0

Postby rainbrain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:35 pm

frenchfrog wrote:The font library provide 2 ways to render the fonts, Bitmap which give the ugly result of 1.49, 1.50 or pixmap which gives the result of 1.51 (kind of anti-alising).

I didn't find the previous versions so ugly - but nevermind :)

rainbrain wrote:You don't have to throw away your agent if it's been created in 1.31 and up.

Oh, I thought so because of the warnings a la "Not compatible with earlier saves" - but if that's not the case: fine :D

Yes it is.

Ah - thanks a lot! And keep up the great work :D
offsides
level1
level1

Postby offsides » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:46 pm

Well, the font is definitely much nicer to look at, but it still suffers from the problem of being just a little too big. I don't know if you can make the font size a user-configurable option, or have the text boxes scale based on the width of the line, or what. It seems like there's a lot of hard-coded carriage returns in the text and that prevents it from just flowing better... Anyway, you're getting closer - keep up the good work!
rainbrain
level0

Postby rainbrain » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 pm

offisdes wrote:Well, the font is definitely much nicer to look at, but it still suffers from the problem of being just a little too big.

Too big? Make that too small - on my (linux) system. ;) As I said: with the anti-aliasing the text is hard to read. But making the font-size user-configurable would be an excellent solution - if that's possible.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:47 pm

The problem is that all control size and position are hard coded to fit with each other controls, it's thus near impossible to _resize_ them without some of them overlapping or getting off screen.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:37 am

Added 1.51TRYA for Linux with font library dynamically linked and also some small font changes.

See first post.
offsides
level1
level1

Postby offsides » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:53 pm

Thank you! Renaming libfreetype.so.6 so that my local one is used helps restore the font to what it should be. Renaming libftgl.so.0 only makes things worse. Here's a set of screenshots:

1) 1.51TRYA as distributed: http://www.honorablemenschen.com/uplink/uplink-1.51TRYA-distro.png
2) 1.51TRYA with libfreetype.so.6 renamed: http://www.honorablemenschen.com/uplink/uplink-1.51TRYA-libft.png
3) 1.51TRYA with libfreeftgl.so.0 renamed: http://www.honorablemenschen.com/uplink/uplink-1.51TRYA-libftgl.png
4) 1.51TRYA with libfreetype.so.6 and libfreeftgl.so.0 renamed: http://www.honorablemenschen.com/uplink/uplink-1.51TRYA-libftgl.png

As you can see, #2 is the only one that looks correct...

Hopefully this will narrow down the source of the issue.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for helping narrowing down the problem, I'll investigate.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Added 1.51TRYB for Linux, font should finally work fine!!!!

See first post.
offsides
level1
level1

Postby offsides » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:14 am

Looks good! BTW ,I posted an issue in the "Bug Reports" section about Hardware Drivers issues with fill memory. I don't know if you saw it, but if you didn't here's an official request that you check it out :)

Thanks for your hard work!
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:34 am

Okay, I've just tried using 1.51TRYB (from the .sh) on my Gentoo 2006.1 laptop (1280x800x32). Not sure if it's just me, but the main font is tiny. Basically unreadable after the login screen.

I have freetype-2.1.10 installed.

Return to “Latest Patch”