Uplink 1.51 Patch (Windows/Linux), Demo Windows

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:10 am

offisdes: What distribution are you running on? Do you have the uplink fonts installed external to the game?

frenchfrog: I've tried ticking the "defaultworldmap" option but it doesn't seem to do anything. I preferred the original map, because the borders on the Defcon map are so bright that it can make servers hard to see, and the text hard to read.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:55 am

The defaultworldmap option only works on agent creation because the world map picture have a influence on server placement (permitting changing the world map in middle of a game would means servers in water).

As for the fonts, I would try deleting libfreetype.so.6 from the uplink/lib/ directory.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:26 am

Okay, well I went looking for the libfreetype file and couldn't find it.

I went and grabbed the .tar.gz file and now the game works perfectly. I'm guessing the .sh file is a little different. I don't really understand why though, because I imagine the .sh file is made from the .tar.gz file.

Anyhow, I can play Uplink now! Yay! Great work!
offsides
level1
level1

Postby offsides » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 pm

jokeyrhyme wrote:offisdes: What distribution are you running on? Do you have the uplink fonts installed external to the game?

I'm running Gentoo (currently 2006.1, fully updated with a few bleeding-edge packages, though I doubt any of them influence uplink) x86 on a Thinkpad R50p. I haven't installed any fonts external to the game (in fact I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that :))

BTW frenchfrog: I want to thank you for making uplink not run the CPU at 100% ALL THE TIME, even when the game is idle or paused. Running on a laptop means the heat can get aggrivating, and this change really helps! Thanks again for your hard work on Uplink!
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:01 pm

I haven't installed any fonts external to the game (in fact I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that :))

Well, some people worked out which fonts are used by the game (or extracted them, or mimicked them) so they could be made available to the rest of the system. Although, now that I've checked, I'd already done that, so that obviously wasn't a fix.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi, I just wanted to know something on the subject of pirating Uplink.

I was at a friends place all weekend, and I left the "fake black-light" sheet of codes at home. So when I started a new character with the latest patch, I had to use that copy of the codes that's been floating around the warez sites. Now, you can check with the Introversion store, but I definitely own my own copy.

Anyhow, several hours into the game I got booted with an anti-piracy message, and my user file was locked so I had to start over.

Is this a problem with using beta patches? Or am I guaranteed that when I get home and use the proper retail code sheet, I'll be deemed "legal" in the eyes of the game and be allowed to play?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Normally, you should be fine using the _real_ code sheet, unless there is a bug in the beta patches (only happening on Linux?).
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:20 pm

Yeah, this was in Linux using 1.51TRYB. It was probably a bad code sheet. While I'm sure you can imagine my frustration, I didn't mean to sound too accusatory, because I understand how piracy eats into the bottom dollar of smaller firms. I love this game, and I too hope everyone who plays it pays for it. Cheers.

Return to “Latest Patch”