Uplink 1.42 Patch (+ Still a chance to win Defcon units)

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

Agent Vincent
level1
level1

Postby Agent Vincent » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:50 am

I just found my disc which apparently is still the Strategy First version but I dunno don't care, got the patch, got the LAN software, the patch is great I like how things are revamped, graphics options are more extensive, I love it and great work to the ones who contributed to it. I don't know how big of a difference it is from the last one though. Again, great to see the community still going.
no one knows i'm a ninja.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:54 am

outofexile wrote:that sucks big style. I really want the Simply Uplink mod thing, 'cause auto bounce would be lovely. Guess i'll have to carry on taking the long way :(

With this patch you can create a huge bounce chain then save it (saved bounce chains are remembered between sessions). If you want to connect to a target load the chain and click the target server. If the target server is already part you chain then just click it twice, this removes it from the chain then adds it back as the final bounce node. Make a save of the bounce everytime you set one up for a target and your laughing. Auto-bounce isn't needed and frankly I prefer the way thats implemented.

Agent Vincent wrote:I just found my disc which apparently is still the Strategy First version

What do you mean still? Did you seriously expect the code on the CD to suddenly change from the SF version to the original IV version during the time it was missing?
Last edited by Montyphy on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Immortius
level1
level1

Postby Immortius » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 am

Montyphy wrote:With this mod you can create a huge bounce chain then save it (saved bounce chains are remembered between sessions). If you want to connect to a target load the chain and click the target server. If the target server is already part you chain then just click it twice, this removes it from the chain then adds it back as the final bounce node. Make a save of the bounce everytime you set one up for a target and your laughing. Auto-bounce isn't needed and frankly I prefer the way thats implemented.

By "this mod" you mean the patch, right?

Especially nice is once a server is part of your saved chain you can clear it out of your list of servers. This means you can have just the essential servers for whatever you are doing listed, see where they are and then load your chain and add them to the end. I find this handy because I typically have over half the servers in my chain and it would make it hard to find anything otherwise.

I wonder how long the active trace for the academic server would be if your chain includes all the servers...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 am

Immortius wrote:By "this mod" you mean the patch, right?

Thanks, corrected.

Immortius wrote:I wonder how long the active trace for the academic server would be if your chain includes all the servers...

Easily in excess of 1000 seconds.

outofexile
level1
level1

Postby outofexile » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:56 am

Immortius wrote:
Montyphy wrote:With this mod you can create a huge bounce chain then save it (saved bounce chains are remembered between sessions). If you want to connect to a target load the chain and click the target server. If the target server is already part you chain then just click it twice, this removes it from the chain then adds it back as the final bounce node. Make a save of the bounce everytime you set one up for a target and your laughing. Auto-bounce isn't needed and frankly I prefer the way thats implemented.

What about all the other mods though like Project Sword and Onlink etc.??? Still can't run them can ya, which means it sucks >_>
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:20 pm

You fail quoting. Why did you quote Immortius and not myself if you planned to refer to me? What do those mods not working with the Steam version of Uplink have to do with me talking about a feature of the current patch?

outofexile
level1
level1

Postby outofexile » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:29 pm

You explained why not being able to have simplyuplink doesn't matter.
And does it really matter if i fail at quoting, my life doesn't depend on it.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:40 pm

outofexile wrote:You explained why not being able to have simplyuplink doesn't matter.

Because all you wanted was the auto-bounce feature, which isn't needed anymore.

outofexile wrote:And does it really matter if i fail at quoting, my life doesn't depend on it.

How do you know you life doesn't depend on it? What if I were to threaten to hunt you down in order to kill your entire family while you watched before cutting you open simply because you failed to quote correctly?

In all seriously, it does matter. This is a medium by which written language is the main technique in order to communicate. Failing to quote correctly can create confusion and misunderstanding. For example, you decided to quote Immortius in order to refer to me. The problem with this is 1) you failed to completely remove Immortius' quote tags so it looked like you might to talk to him and 2) because you quoted him you failed to pick up on my edited version of the post, which in this cause is not much of a big deal but it only goes to show, it can cause confusion and misunderstanding.

outofexile
level1
level1

Postby outofexile » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:14 am

The quoting thing has nothing to do with what I was asking. And no, i don't want simply uplink just for that one feature, it was just the first feature that came to my head at the time of me writting my message
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am

outofexile wrote:The quoting thing has nothing to do with what I was asking

Did you fail to read all my post? Did you fail add one and one together? It would seem so.

"This is a medium by which written language is the main technique in order to communicate. Failing to quote correctly can create confusion and misunderstanding. For example, you decided to quote Immortius in order to refer to me. The problem with this is 1) you failed to completely remove Immortius' quote tags so it looked like you might to talk to him and 2) because you quoted him you failed to pick up on my edited version of the post, which in this cause is not much of a big deal but it only goes to show, it can cause confusion and misunderstanding."

Your question was an attempt to communicate. You failing to quote correctly, or even source your quote correctly, was part of that communication. By failing, you hindered the message conveyed in what you was asking. Thus it is stupid to thing the two have nothing to do with each other.

Skuzz
level0

Postby Skuzz » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:40 pm

will there be a Linux patch aswell?
N0ught
level3
level3

Bug

Postby N0ught » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:29 pm

Hey i just noticed a bug while playing Patch 1.42:

If you use your own theme, and quit the game and restart, the game defaults back to the original Uplink theme.

EDIT: Also, the game does not ask for a code from the code card to start new agent profiles - is this for a reason? :?

EDIT2: A minor bug - when clicking on "New User" button at the main menu, the words "create new user's account" will stay in the lower lefthand corner until you move the mouse.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Bug

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:51 am

N0ught wrote:EDIT: Also, the game does not ask for a code from the code card to start new agent profiles - is this for a reason? :?

That feature was removed many versions ago because this patch is for beta testing. It has been reported a few times in John's post as well as being mentioned in the changelog, "Beta testers can use this version for a limited time without having bought the game."

As for the other stuff, it best belongs in the bug section.

Return to “Latest Patch”