Uplink Testing Patch, version 1.31c

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

JamesL
level1
level1

Uplink Testing Patch, version 1.31c

Postby JamesL » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:12 pm

The latest version of the testing patch can be downloaded here.
The list of changes can be found here.

When installing, please be sure to fill in the userinfo.txt file with your details. In the event of a crash it will help us get in contact with you to narrow down the problem further.

This release fixes several crash bugs in 1.31b. Hopefully bugs are getting fewer with each release. All users of 1.31b should definitely upgrade.

Please can you report any bugs you find in the Bug Reports forum.

When making a report, please be sure to mention the exact version of Uplink that you are talking about, preferably include the version on the subject line of the post.

Note that this particular release of Uplink is time limited, set to expire in August (you will still be able to continuing existing agents, just not start new ones without the codecard).

Thanks for all your help testing the patches so far, it is much appreciated.

Introversion Software
recover
level1
level1

Postby recover » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 pm

Many of the things you're fixing now was a real pain in the ass...
Keep it going!
recover
level1
level1

Postby recover » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 pm

Btw, I remember that Uplink used to crash when connecting to certain IRC server... might be worth checking out
kurgan2001
level1
level1

Postby kurgan2001 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:32 am

Sweet .. I never thought that another patch would be released .. keep up the good work .. Uplink forever!!!! :D
Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not looking over your shoulder and reading your email .. ;)
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:30 am

not to cause alarm or anything, maybe this was noted before anyways.. but i noticed that after installing the patch i was no longer asked for a code when i started a new character..

when i d/l this patch i had to install a fresh install of uplink, so it's not like there were any mods or anything.. i'll check it out again later maybe, but i thought that i'd let you guys at IV (if you actually read this stuff) that the patch might be used as a copy protection defeating tool by pirates..
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 am

Changelog VERSION 1.31b wrote:- Beta : Beta testers can use this version for a limited time without having bought the game.

I think the code thing was deliberately removed.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:08 pm

gotcha.. never noticed that.

oh well, just figured i'd mention it in case it was an oversight
Burningmace
level1
level1

Postby Burningmace » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if the source will be released for this patch? I'd like to see some of the code for how this was done. It'd be nice to get it interfaced with Onlink.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 am

I believe it will be once quite a few more bugs have been ironed out.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:45 pm

It's rather a moot point.

Things I have, ripped from the changelog:

Things we also have

- Fixed : It is now possible to remove nodes from a connection chain by clicking on them when they are already in the chain, thanks to code from François Gagné. (but mine is mine, heh)

- Added : A screenshot can be saved by pressing the backtick (`) button, which is found left of "1" on most PC keyboards. At the moment, only one screenshot can be saved at a time and it is overwritten whenever anew one is taken. It is saved as the "users/screenshot.bmp" (I shoud mention mine are taken in tiff form, do not overwrite, and use the Insert key instead)

- Changed : Should no longer hog the CPU, as requested by some users. If this causes jerkiness for testers then it will be removed or made optional. (Had, found ineffeicent, removed)

- Fixed : Disallowed editting of admin criminal record, which previously caused a crash.
- Fixed : Crash while destroying logs.
- Fixed : A number of minor memory leaks. (also 3 *major* ones)

- Changed : Game should now work at a larger range of resolutions
- Changed : Compiled using VS 2005. Now requires VC 2005 runtime files and will likely not work on Windows versions before Win2K (Onlink still builds in VS6 and VS2003 and has a certain mod for 2005 that should allow pre-Win2k play)

- New support : Should now send debugging information to Introversion in the event of a crash (at user discretion). Please make use of this functionality to help us improve the game (need to manually enable in options)

Things we want

- Changed : Using SDL for the graphics (previously glut) on Windows (however unneeded; glut32.dll is not needed for Onlink)
- Fixed : Loading a connection which contains hidden nodes on the world map no longer causes the locations to jump around forever. The locations are added back into the map correctly.

Things we have they IV does not

LanLade Core 1 - Allows loading and editing if language files without need of the DevCD
LanLade Core 2 - Allows monsterous modding of the HUD, including button realignment and resizing without need for the DevCD
Codename "Koria" - A huge speed improvment on world generation and general gameplay. Stress tests showed this core faster in all aspects of the previous core.
Slasher II - A debugging library used for search-and-destroy sessions for memory leaks. Tells the exact file and line the leak originated from.
Improved TIFFLIB - No more silly warning on unknown tags and better support for compressed tiffs
Large amounts of gameplay additions

Oh, and this bug fix is my absolute favourite:

A bug that allows people to remotely crash your game was terminated

So what are we working on now? Well, for starters, an ogg player that you can edit what's playing. Let's face it, some of the music has gotten old.

Oh, and while I'm at it...

All of these things we have and IV doesn't, have at one time or another been offered to them. Even much before this patching began (starting March 2004, actually). Our latest offer was about 2 weeks ago now, and we heard back from Chris that he'll talk to the rest of the team. We haven't heard back yet.

Needless to say, this has been making some of my helpers, myself included, a little annoyed.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I agree with everything Miah is saying here.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I think IV primary concern is not Uplink right now which probably explains the reason they are slow to responds.

Your patches would be great enhancement to Uplink. It would be great if you could share them with the rest of the community in an easy mergable format.

I also agree that the release of the final source would be nice (IIRC IV did say that they will release it)
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:42 pm

At the moment we're interested in bug-fixes to Uplink. Miah, your patches in that regard are very welcome. Especially the improved TIFFLIB, IRC fix and small fixes. The other stuff sounds good, but I'm not sure we'll have a chance to integrate it before our next release. However, we are interested. It's just a question of finding the time and resources in between all the other projects we have on the go at the moment.

We will be releasing an update to the Developer's source code too, so have no fear, all this good work will be made available :)

James Lawton (JamesL), who has been doing the Uplink maintenance up until now, will be moving on to another project after release 1.31d. François Gagné (Frenchfrog) will be taking over for the last round of fixes before release.

All developers, please continue to post your patches in the developer's forum, or PM François directly if you feel that is more appropriate.

Your contributions are very much appreciated and I'd like to thank you all for the time and effort that you've put into this project so far.

John

Return to “Latest Patch”