How to install skins/themes in Uplink for Mac 1.6.2

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

WilkyBoy
level0

How to install skins/themes in Uplink for Mac 1.6.2

Postby WilkyBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello, fellow agents!

I have been searching the internet for a long time now, looking for a way to install skins/themes, and I only managed to come up with this:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=31008

It didn't help at all, because Ambrosia have rolled out a new forum, dropping all of the old links.

So far, I've discovered how to install skins/themes/mods etc. on PC, which doesn't help, as I'm a mac user

I've tried following the PC instructions, making adjustments as required on a mac, but these combinations don't work:

Oh, and in case PC users are wondering, ~/Library/Application Support/ is the equivalent of your C:/Docs and Settings/User/Application Data or App Data - depending on your version of windows.

~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/THEME/THEME CONTENTS
~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/THEME CONTENTS
~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/mods/themes/THEME/THEME CONTENTS

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-- Ben Wilkinson
JAFO
level0

Re: How to install skins/themes in Uplink for Mac 1.6.2

Postby JAFO » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am

Apologies for the necromancy, but I've just been researching this as well..

WilkyBoy wrote:Hello, fellow agents!

I have been searching the internet for a long time now, looking for a way to install skins/themes, and I only managed to come up with this:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=31008

It didn't help at all, because Ambrosia have rolled out a new forum, dropping all of the old links.

Here is the new link to the Ambrosia thread referred to in the above link:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61418

(note that the instructions in that thread are very old, and probably wouldn't work.. see my next post for more up-to-date information)
Last edited by JAFO on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO
level0

Postby JAFO » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am

Ok.. I've now done some digging around inside the app itself, and in /Uplink.app/Contents/Resources/ I found a file named 'Release Notes.rtf'.

In that document, in part, it says the following:
Version 1.6.1 (10/9/08 )

-- Restored compatibility with mods
-- Themes should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods
-- Graphics should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods/graphics
-- Other data files should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods/data

Note that if you simply use the Finder to browse to Library/Application Support/ that you won't be in the correct place (there won't be an 'Uplink' folder). You must use the Finder menu, thus: 'Go -> Go to Folder' and then type in ~/Library/Application Support

Now you will see an Uplink folder in the list (where your gamesaves are stored, incidentally). Note that according to the above, the 'mods' folder does not go inside the Uplink folder, but in the Application Support folder.

Should you also wish to back up your gamesaves, now that you know where to find them, remember that you have to back up three files together.. debug.log, options, and player_name.usr.
safetypin
level0

Postby safetypin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the GOG.com Mac version of this game that prevents it from recognizing themes? I've attempted the variations in placement of the theme folder mentioned above, plus many more, and still have nothing. I tried installing the Windows version in bootcamp, and the theme worked immediately.
arthasren
level0

Re:

Postby arthasren » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 pm

JAFO wrote:Ok.. I've now done some digging around inside the app itself, and in /Uplink.app/Contents/Resources/ I found a file named 'Release Notes.rtf'.

In that document, in part, it says the following:
Version 1.6.1 (10/9/08 )

-- Restored compatibility with mods
-- Themes should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods
-- Graphics should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods/graphics
-- Other data files should be put in ~/Library/Application Support/mods/data

Note that if you simply use the Finder to browse to Library/Application Support/ that you won't be in the correct place (there won't be an 'Uplink' folder). You must use the Finder menu, thus: 'Go -> Go to Folder' and then type in ~/Library/Application Support

Now you will see an Uplink folder in the list (where your gamesaves are stored, incidentally). Note that according to the above, the 'mods' folder does not go inside the Uplink folder, but in the Application Support folder.

Should you also wish to back up your gamesaves, now that you know where to find them, remember that you have to back up three files together.. debug.log, options, and player_name.usr.

I tried, but it won't work for uplink 1.6.8. My system is OS El Capitan. You mean I need move my save files under ~/Library/Application Support/ ? It is not working.
patches
level0

Postby patches » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:43 am

I haven't been able to get the themes working either. Uplink 1.6.8 on Yosemite. I've tried putting the theme PalmPC (http://modlink.net/mods.php?modtype=skin&pageid=3) in

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/Uplink/mods/
and even tried creating

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/mods/
but no dice.
CreeperMario
level0

Postby CreeperMario » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:31 am

It seems that the App Store version of Uplink (v1.6.8) does not accept mods at all.
If it matters, I'm using macOS Sierra v10.12.0.

It seems that the settings and user profiles are stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.introversion.uplinkHD/Data instead of ~/Library/Application Support/Uplink. Is this normal?

Return to “Mac Uplink”