Patching Uplink for Mac

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

feline monstrosity
level0

Patching Uplink for Mac

Postby feline monstrosity » Mon May 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Ambrosia Software appear to be responsible for the mac version of Uplink, but I bought a Uplink as a CD for PC/Mac/Linux, as far as I can tell not from Ambrosia (when I launch the game it shows the logo of "Contraband Entertainment" however the game does not feature on their website).
Since I bought it soon after its release I have only the earliest version of Uplink and I'd like to update it to the most recent version. Unfortunately I can't download the latest version from Ambrosia Software because when I do it tells me it's only a trial version and asks me to register, which means paying for a shareware code which I'm not going to do since I've already payed for the game once.
So how do I update Uplink? There's no Mac patch on the files page of Introversion's website. Has anyone else had the same problem?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 pm

The Mac version of Uplink was originally ported by Contraband, and published by Ambrosia. At this point Contraband is pretty much defunct, and Ambrosia is the only company selling the Mac version (until today, I was certain that Ambrosia was the only company that had ever sold the Mac version). Furthermore, more recent updates to the Mac version have been developed in-house at Ambrosia. Thus, if you want the newest version, you will need to buy a new copy from Ambrosia.
feline monstrosity
level0

Postby feline monstrosity » Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm

:x
So despite the fact that I have already bought and payed for Uplink I cannot update it to the most recent version without buying it again?? That's ridiculous!!

Thanks for replying anyway. :(

EDIT: It would appear that Introversion have no email address or any way to contact them other than these forums (it's as if they don't want to talk to their fans!). Anyone else know another way I can contact them for help?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Why is that rediculous? You paid for the version of Uplink that you got. It still runs, does it not? Neither IV nor Ambrosia are under any obligation to even release new patches, let alone release new patches for the version of the game that you bought, especially considering that you did not buy the game from either IV nor ASW. It would be like me buying a car from a particular dealership, and demanding free oil changes from another dealership because they happen to sell a more recent model of the same make of car. If you want the most recent version, then you will need to buy either the Mac version from ASW, or the Windows/Linux version from IV.

EDIT: It would appear that you did not read the Support Page, or that you did not notice the Contact Us link on that page. You could also try emailing support@introversion.co.uk or sales@introversion.co.uk , which would seem like pretty standard, intuitive ways of getting attention.
feline monstrosity
level0

Postby feline monstrosity » Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

OK, it's not ridiculous, I said that because I was annoyed. But I still find it unfair that people who bought the game from Ambrosia have access to these updates and I do not simply because I bought it from a different publisher. (Also your car analogy doesn't really apply here because most other software producers offer patches to their software for free, it is only version updates, i.e. 1.0 to 2.0 that they usually make people pay for).

I had indeed visited the page you linked me to (they are both links to the same page btw). I see no mention of an email address on that page.

P.S. you argue like a lawyer. Did Introversion hire you to reply to people like me?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm

The first version of Uplink that I know of for the Mac was 1.3.x. For many years, that was the one and only version. Recently, Ambrosia set about to create a new patch. This patch included not only many bugfixes, but several new features, as well as compatibility with Intel chips. The jump from 1.3.x to 1.6.x (the most recent version for Mac) was equivalent to a version change from 1.0 to 2.0. The version number was not incremented along those lines, I assume, in order to keep the versioning consistant with IV's version numbers.

I would also point out that ASW have updated many of their games to be compatible with Intel chips, and that the newer versions are often sold as independent producs (i.e. Apeiron). Thus, those of us that actually bought Uplink from ASW in the first place could just as easily feel relief that ASW are not charging us again to get the Intel-compatible version.

As to the two links going to the same place, one of them should go to an overview of IV's support, while the other should go to a webform that allows you to submit questions. If this is not happening, another link to that form is about half-way down the Support page, in a linked called "Contact Us". As to the email addresses, sales@ and support@ are pretty much industry standard. One or the other (or both) will work with almost any small tech company.
feline monstrosity
level0

Postby feline monstrosity » Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 pm

I installed Uplink on my Intel Mac and it works fine.

I have found the contact form and am contacting Introversion to see if there is any other way I can get the latest version. Thanks for helping.

Return to “Mac Uplink”