Windows, Linux, and Mac CD?

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

drakosstar
level0

Windows, Linux, and Mac CD?

Postby drakosstar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:34 am

This really isn't anything serious but something I have been curious about and even though searching the forums I am unable to find a solid answer.

I live in the United States and found out about Uplink a few years ago and got really excited. Downloaded the Demo and decided to order the game through Introversion (or so I thought). I know I bought it before Darwinia came out cause I remember visiting the "coming soon" site and I might even have the bubble packing with the customs sticker on it somewhere (I thought it was cool as hell what they put on it lol).

Anyways its a full CD containing the Windows, Linux, and Mac version and only found out recently cause I just got a used Mac but I was running the Linux and Windows versions. Now if I remember what I have been reading in the forums corectly, ControBand coded the game for Mac, and Ambrosia Software just distributes it but as a download only and since ControBand went under there prolly won't be an official Mac patch out there past 1.31.

I have looked up and down on my case and in the files on the CD and nothing as far as either of those companies. Not one of their names mentioned anywhere and even file:///D:/help/mac/patch.htm redirects me to the http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/otherfiles.html to get the latest patch. The only thing I can think of is somehow I ended up with possibly one of the North America versions released by Strategy First and exclusively distributed by Infogrames but even that doesn't make any sence cause it has the ELSPA "OK 3+" marking on it which unless I a mistaken is UK only and again No mention of any other company besides Introversion Software.

It lists full system reqs for Windows, Mac and Linux on the back and I even played the game fully on all systems and none of them are a demo version. I have full barcode listing and full packaging still even the "black on black" print you use to first enter in the "code" to get access to the game. I don't want to fill the forum with a picture unless needed but if you go to http://www.introversion.co.uk/roadmap.html and look down at April 2002 thats basically how the front of my packaging looks except in the upper left-hand corner where it says "PC cd-rom" mine says "PC cd-rom" and right below it "For Windows, Linux, and Mac".

Like I said its not a big deal because I am really happy with the game but I am wondering what I got my hands on and if I somehow got my hands on a version that was improperly made (it looks authentic but people can do anythings with a little time and money) I would like to buy a full version from Interversion to support their hard work. Just wondered what is going on and I appologize if this has been posted somewhere or previously answered but when I get curious about something I just have to find out. lol If any pics or screenshots are needed just respond and let me know where to send them.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:04 am

Well, there's never been a version with PC, Linux and Mac in the one pack, to my knowledge. It's likely a pirate copy. Regardless, if you want to buy the PC and Linux version from Introversion, go to their store, and if you want to buy the Mac version you'll need to buy it from Ambrosia.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
drakosstar
level0

Postby drakosstar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Oh that would totally suck. :cry: It is so professionally done. Good quality paper in the cover, a CD that actually went through a proper machine and not just a "printable" CD and like I said the black on black with that glossy black ink or however they did it on that stock paper.

Does anyone know something I could check to see if its somehow a pirated copy or just a really weird release? I would try anc check size of disk to someone elses but since I have the Mac folder size would be off anyways. I have the gamebibe and everything.

I did come across something while I was trying to find out some info. I was going through things with a hexeditor see if I could find a "logo" somewhere in the inners of the file and I found out that in the readme file it does mention the - Mac version ported by Contraband Entertainment but not a website for them and lists trouble shooting for Mac. The readme.txt file size is 12,292 bytes (NOT size on disk) so if someone wants to check that against one they own.

Ambrosia only releases the Mac version correct? And does anyone know if its a boxed or a download only? They don't or wouldn't bundle it up would they?

I did do a search using the UPC Database www.upcdatabase.com and found that it was through a company called Alternative Aquatics and they even have the game "Defcon Everybody Dies" under their name in the lookup. Also the website UPCmachine.com and one other lists it through Alternative Aquatics but the other 3 list through Introversion. UPC number 5-060043-690021. I find it weird someone would go through so much trouble to create a truely authentic looking replica as they would be spending alot more without much profit back unless it was batch made but people do weird things for money.

I will still be looking around for any errors in production, costs cut, something. I am looking for the customs ticket since that would have to list place of origin but its been so long. If anyone knows anything or has any ideas would be greatly apprciated.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:23 am

Contraband no longer exists, the guy who ran it is now a chick and works at EA.

There might be other ways for it to be put back on the Mac however... <cryptic grin>

Return to “Mac Uplink”