trouble hacking LANs

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

spamdog
level0

Postby spamdog » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:31 pm

I am having trouble hacking LANs.

First of all, before you hurl abuse at me for asking a newbie question, I want you to know that I did all the right things first: read the FAQ, downloaded & read the Ultimate Uplink Guide (a treasure-trove of info -- I highly recommend it -- get it at http://www.modlink.net/guides.php), used the Search button on this server multiple times with different search parameters on LANS/hacking/etc (not so useful, mainly a bunch of arrogant jerks screaming at people to read the FAQ), but I could not find the answer to my problem, which was this: the LAN hack was not working as advertised.  I never got the blue lines connecting the router to any of the other components on the LAN.  I could never connect to anything by pushing the "Connect" button. Yes, I used LAN Scan.  Yes, I ran LAN Probe on the router and everything else I could see.  Yes, I have the highest versions of all the software (robbed the bank a while ago -- have a maxed-out Trinity and all software, etc).  In desperation, I tried LAN Spoof and LAN Force on everything as well; of course, nothing happened.  

I even took on several LAN hacking jobs to see if it varied from LAN to LAN.  The first two were the same (Voxel & Transcendant).  But then the third (Biogenic) was different.  When I probed its router, I got blue lines to the hub!  Everything worked like they said it would on the FAQ and in the Guide.  It was great!   I hacked the whole thing, including going through a modem.  I got through the entire LAN to the main server (OK, not on the first try -- but eventually) and successfully completed the mission.  So, I'm not a COMPLETE loser.

Thinking that I had solved the problem, I went back to the first two LANS, but nothing had changed -- I still could not get any connections from the router.  What gives??  I am using the most recent version of the software (1.3.2).  Is this a bug??  I am posting this on the Mac forum, because if it is a bug, it may be specific to the Mac port.  (However, in my abortive attempt to sift wisdom from the other forums, I did see at least one PC user with a similar problem.)  I really like to solve these kinds of problems myself (as you can see), but I am stumped here.  I cannot think of anything else to try.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Wisdom begins with the admission that you know nothing.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:36 pm

What version of the LAN software do you have?  :)
spamdog
level0

Postby spamdog » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:56 pm

As stated above, the highest versions of all available software.  (I guess that would be 3 for LAN Probe & Scan.)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:00 pm

I just wanted to make sure as that is exactly the problem you run into when just using the v1 LAN software.  If you haven't done so already I would double check that you do in fact have version 3.  If you want to send me the usr file (I think I can use it) I can see if I can find the issue.  :)
spamdog
level0

Postby spamdog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:25 am

Yes, that does sound like what you would expect if running lower-version software.  (I never did, as I got lots of credits before trying the LAN thing.)  I just checked, and all LAN software I have says "v.3", both from the software launcher and on my gateway's memory.

If you'd like to take the time to look at my usr file, I'd be delighted to send it to you.  Thanks!
spamdog
level0

Postby spamdog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:03 am

I went back on and tried some more things and I remembered a few more factoids that might help:
1) Tried hacking a couple more LANs (Neoware & Unitron), but got the same problem.  So far, Biogenic Solutions is the only one I can do.
2) Here's something else unique to Biogenic (forgot this before -- it was so painful, maybe?) -- Uplink crashes frequently while trying to hack it, usually when lauching a program, pushing a button, never the same thing twice.  Sound familiar?  I just went back in (after it crashed), and all the blue-line connections are still there -- is that normal?  (I wouldn't know, never having hacked another LAN.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.  This game is fun, but I think I may drop it if I keep banging my head against the wall...
Thanks.
Shade of Blue
level2
level2

Postby Shade of Blue » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:00 pm

Quote: from spamdog on 4:03 am on Sep. 30, 2003[br]I just went back in (after it crashed), and all the blue-line connections are still there -- is that normal?  (I wouldn't know, never having hacked another LAN.)

Yeah, if u unlock stuff, i think it stays unlocked forever.
Quote: from spamdog on 4:03 am on Sep. 30, 2003[br]
Any ideas would be appreciated.  This game is fun, but I think I may drop it if I keep banging my head against the wall...
Thanks.

As might I......
(See MY HEAD-AGAINST-THE-WALL INSPIRATION.)
spamdog
level0

Postby spamdog » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:30 pm

Yeah, if u unlock stuff, i think it stays unlocked forever.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Yeah, sounds like you've run into similar makes-no-sense kind of weirdness...

Ah well, its a great game anyway, and its provided many hours of fun that otherwise could have been spent much more productively.
Good luck!
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:16 pm

Yep. Normally I'd ask you to read my LAN guide, but your problem is different. If the only LAN you can hack crashes a lot, you've likely got a bug. So far, unfortunately, the only solution is to start a new user. If that still doesn't work, trash Uplink, then reinstall. If that doesn't work, your computer must have a virus or something.
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:37 pm

No if that doesn't work then the bug is just still there.  I don't know what you deal is with telling people there must be a virus on their computer.  That has nothing to do with Uplink.  Silly little man.  :)
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:26 am

Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 5:37 pm on Oct. 7, 2003[br]Silly little man.  :)

Right back at you, Stews.
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:06 am

I have the same version of Uplink (1.3.2) on a Mac OS X.  Some LAN's I can hack normally, others I have your problem.  I have been told to run Uplink from OS 9 but I haven't yet.  If it works or even if it doesn't, I'll reply.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:24 pm

So for, Ozymandias, it's working for me. I'll post if something otherwise happens...

I have had this happen in OSX as well, so I know the feeling...
psychoticrabbit
level0

Postby psychoticrabbit » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:03 pm

I'm having similar LAN related problem in Uplink for OS9.  Instead of the connecting lines not appearing, the icons for the machines on the LAN don't appear -- I'll see a blank white box with a connection leading to it that I can't connect to.  These machines don't appear to be part of a subnet, and no matter how many times I run LAN scan/probe, I won't be able to connect.

I suppose this amounts to just being screwed, but, who knows, maybe someone else has experienced this and has some suggestions.  
???
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:04 pm

Did you run LAN_Probe on the little white box?

Return to “Mac Uplink”