I want a mac

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

StoneyMahoney
level0

Postby StoneyMahoney » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:13 am

I can see a MHz vs FLOPS thread gonna start up here ;)

The Mac runs at a lower clock speed to the PC. Contrary to popular opinion, clock speed is not directly linked to actually performance.

Just because a processor can do 2 billion cycles per second doesn't mean it actually gets a lot done. This is the whole philosophy behind the processors Apple use. They get a lot more done per clock cycle versus AMD/Intel chips. The clock speed is only a guide to performance when the chip architecture doesn't change. This makes all comparisons between the performance of Apple and x86 chips on clock speed alone useless.

If you still don't get it, think of it this way. I build a chip that take 10 clock cycles to perform 1 calculation. I run it at 50Hz, so it can do 5 calculations per second. You build a chip that takes 5 clock cycles to perform 1 calculation. You run it at 25Hz - while my chip "runs faster" than yours, they still both do the same amount of "work" each second they're running.
Redbaron
level3
level3

Postby Redbaron » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:06 am

Interestingly enough the G5s now have AMD chips in them for thermal management.  That's what you want.  IBM Mac chips to do the serious stuff and PC  chips to do the donkey work all in the same case. ;)
Remember whether it's driving or politics always keep to the Left
PHREAK76
level4
level4

Postby PHREAK76 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:02 pm

I think what he is trying to say mate is that macs OS may not be laggin it as much, Windows is running like 20+ programs in the background where as mac is odviously just running the ones you select :).
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:14 am

not quite

example: run setiathome, then open word... seti still is working
Tinky
level2
level2

Postby Tinky » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:21 pm

I Have A  Big-Mac
my favourite kind of poos:
Sweetcorn poop
Tar-mac poop
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:10 pm

You're not funny...
Nakatomi is coming
Dechs Rashart
level1
level1

Postby Dechs Rashart » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:07 am

i thought that was all about how you guys taxed electronics over there (i'm american, my dad's side of the family is dutch) from my understanding they tax the hell out of you and whoever you're buying it from therefore it costs more to both of you... however this is only an educated guess and barely at that. if anyone knows the real answer i'd be happy to hear it

Return to “Mac Uplink”