Macs -???

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:33 pm

What I am wondering is why there are so many Mac gamers here. The PC is faster, has better games, and is so much more popular than Macs. And what is with Mac OS X anyway? We've got Linux for our modern Unix interfaces anyway!
Sorry, but I hate Macs. (as you may be able to tell)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:40 pm

Well actually Macs are signifigantly faster than PCs for some applications, and there new chips are going to make them incredably fast.  OSX is a great OS and is better than Linux in many respects, especially as it is a Unix based OS where as Linux uses a different kernel which can cause problems.  The PC does have more and generally better games, but there are a good deal of games for Macs, some very good games are Mac only at the moment.  I find most people who profess to hate Macs do so only because of ignorance (that goes for Linux and Windows haters as well).  The Mac may not be your style, but I don't think you can legitimately write it off totally.  :)
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:46 pm

Well, having used it since i was 6 i can safely say I detest it, though not as much as DOS. The PowerPCs were okay but then the iMac came out, which was crap.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:57 pm

Interesting taste in computers.  I never liked the PowerPCs, but do like the iMacs and the Power Macs (G4, G5).  And DOS is still a great little OS, dead useful, though not like Unix, but then again what is.  :)
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:04 pm

You're right of course. However, the iMacs were just too-overhyped and were too slow for my taste. The PowerPCs were memorable because they were (and to a certain extent still are) always to be found in classrooms with software like Dark Forces and Full Throttle.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:25 pm

The problem with school Macs is that they are the cheap models and are not taken care of as they should be.  This tends to make them ridiculously error prone and slower than Christmas.  :)
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:36 pm

heh...
Have you tried the new mac laptops (the ones in the advert with the big guy and mini-me) and are they any good? Personally I remain sceptical about their performance - for real portable power - go to www.alienware.com and check out the Area 51-m! Its awesome, but expensive.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:04 pm

Yea, Alienware makes some really (really) nice PCs and their notebooks are crazy.  I think I will get one as soon as my current notebook gets too slow.  I played around with one of the new Mac notebooks and was rather impressed.  It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was fast and had alot of bells and whistles.  My main problem is that the metal cases tend to get too many dints in them.  I abuse mine too much to have it dint.  :)
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:30 pm

Just now I am using a reeaaaally old laptop. Its a Toshiba T4900CT, with a P75, 40MB Ram, and a 20GB HD. Surprisingly, it can run Uplink, though at about 2fps. Of course I have a real gaming PC for good games, but the laptop for using around the house.
HellforLeather
level0

Postby HellforLeather » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:41 pm

OK Guys, I had a computer for as long as I can remember! ZX-80, remmber sinclair. Well I can can say that since using both PC and MAC platforms. I prefer the Mac. It doesn't crash so much. And its far more flexiible than any Microsoft piece of S__t. Sorry, PC lovers...
God, I hate it when that happens...
g0ldf1sh
level0

Postby g0ldf1sh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:13 pm

Lol this thread is doomed to go nowhere and fast!

The debate between Mac and PC will continue as long as we use computers and as long as the manufacturers make them.  The thing is i support PC networks all day long as a profession, my job title is Network Manager which means a broad variety of things not just management of networks :P

I've used PC's since i can remember and also had an amiga and a sinclair spectrum.  I find PC's to be unstable, wih the excpetion of Windows 2k being the most stable to work with.  I now own a Mac.  PowerMac dual G4 to be exact and i find it 10 times faster than a PC while using the same applications.  The gaming scene for Macs is also on the rise with most of the PC based games arriving on Mac platform not too long after they were launched on PC.  

For anyone to say either is better is pointless as there are pro's and cons for both.  the new G5 with 1Ghz FSB per Processor certainly looks hard to beat by any standards though.  Happy Gaming mac owners :D
scutum
level4
level4

Postby scutum » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:35 pm

have you seen the new 64mb mac? the fastest in the world. its only for calculations though, not games.
humanity is a virus
I am the cure 011000100110
monsquaz_uplink
level1
level1

Postby monsquaz_uplink » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:00 am

So as to not get reprimanded for spamming, go to this message to view my opinion on this topic:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=10&topic=8&start=60
Uriel
level0

Postby Uriel » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:44 pm

Well, I am using both Mac and PC - all have its own pros and cons. I do little favor PC simply because of price. I do not know situation elsewhere from Eastern Europe, but here are Mac incredibly costy. It would not be far from truth that you can have same power and comfort on PC if you invest just a half of sum you would need for Mac roughly in same cathegory.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:24 am

Quote: from HellforLeather on 3:41 pm on July 29, 2003[br]OK Guys, I had a computer for as long as I can remember! ZX-80, remmber sinclair. Well I can can say that since using both PC and MAC platforms. I prefer the Mac. It doesn't crash so much. And its far more flexiible than any Microsoft piece of S__t. Sorry, PC lovers...
What does microsoft have to do with PCs? You have two very separate things there. If users are too stupid to dual boot with a *bsd/linux distro and win2k, they deserve to have a buggy piece of crap.

Return to “Mac Uplink”