Macs get screwed again

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

gvirus
level1
level1

Postby gvirus » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:33 am

but i just dont c the point in spending thousands of dollors, on a computer that dont run most of the software out there, is only 1.42Ghz CPU,  the ram is low, the screen isn't even included, you cant even have that many drives in there cuz of where the god damn heat sink is placed, and it LOOX LIKE CRAP!!  And everything for the mac just costs so damn much!!!!!  But i admit, macs arent all bad, but i dont c much good, i am only building a mac so i can learn 2 use it, so i can fix other ppl's macs!!! and yes, u can build ur own!   http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/

(Edited by gvirus at 9:35 pm on June 19, 2003)
If life gives you lemons...RUN DUDE!   You just got FREE LEMONS!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:08 am

You obviously lack some critical tech knowledge (understandable given Intels power).  Processors cannot be compared using hz.  A 1Ghz Mac will slaughter a 1Ghz Intel chip.  Intel uses hz almost exclusively to measure speed, but that is not a good measure.  AMD chips also run signifigantly slower (hz wise) than Intel but perform just as well.  Technically there is nothing wrong with Macs, and as far as styling goes there is a reason most PC manufactures are copying them.  The new iMac is a peice of art, and reasonably priced.  :)
gvirus
level1
level1

Postby gvirus » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:27 am

how do u define a lump, with a stick going 2 a panel as art, it looks like yesterdays dinner only molded and dry, and who is trying 2 copy it? gateway, well, gateway is far from ALL THE PC MANUFACTURERS!!! gateway likes my left nut, they think it tastes mighty fine!  i'm a pc manufacturer, and i dont make any like a mac!, accept i guess the power mac g3 and g4, which i guess you could say copied the pc!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:38 am

Well you obviously don't care much, and know even less.  O well.  :)
gvirus
level1
level1

Postby gvirus » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:42 pm

u'v run out of things to diss me with! so now ur just saying i'm stuped! hahaha
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:46 pm

No I was never trying to "diss" you, but you have made it quite obvious that is all you are interested in, dissing the Mac as opposed to a real discussion, so I decided to stop trying, thats all.  :)
gvirus
level1
level1

Postby gvirus » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:19 am

i'm not really "dissing" the mac, cuz i work with the lil fuckers, and soon i will be building one of my own for like $500, almost top of the line.  i'm just saying that they are ugly, and cost to much! WAY TOO MUCH!  and ne one who sez they r "easier" than a pc is wrong. because they both take training, mac is pretty conplex 2 me right now, but i am figuring it out, there r many features i DONT like, and many features i do! this being os 10.2.  and i REALY dont like how the r propriatary!  all i can say, is, os 10.2 has a perdy gui...but dont take offense with me, i kinda feel stupid now after posting that shit, i've kinda chnaged my mind.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:34 pm

See they're not so bad after all.  The proprietary technology thing is rather annoying, but it does help Apple keep their OSs more stable than they would be otherwise.  Apple also just announced the new G5, a 64 bit processor that also runs signifigantly faster than the G4s.  It looks to be a very nice processor.  :)  
gvirus
level1
level1

Postby gvirus » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:24 am

i know yes, it keeps it more stable, but i'm just the type that ALLWAYS goes into the options or prferences menu in any program i use.  thats one of the resons i'm building my own mac, istead of being forced to pay the extremely high prices, i cqan do it for less than half the price!  and i'll be tweeking it to my verry preference.  my friend ross, who i met on these forums, told me last week about the new g5 series, where it will be made by IBM, and have a 1ghz fsb!!!!! 1ghz holy shit!  i'm also glad that they will not be gettting cpu's from motorola any more! all of motorola's products suck, and hopefuly, they will have IBM making the logic board chipsets aswell, lowering the price tremendously!  But for the fist time, annd i'm mighty surprised to say it...i am excited about macintoshes!  cuz i will b making mny own, and they r making some major inprovements, and i love the features in Panther os 10.3.  i guess the main thing thaT HAS decreased the view of macs to me, are all the damn mac biggots!  like brett larson and leo of techtv. aqll they talk about are the pro's of apple technology, and never say ne thing about the many cons, however, patrick norton, and chris perillo, who mysteriously "left" techtv (erm, leo is a profiteering self absorbed ass hole!) but they would mensioun the pros, AND cons, because to any os, there r pro's and cons, nothing is PERFECT, and if the mac biggots like my brother, who's computer i am writing this on right now, would just stfu, and not bug the win/linux users, i would b much more accepting of macs.

wow, that was long!
Darkshine
level5
level5

Postby Darkshine » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:13 pm

Last edited by Darkshine on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opponiz
level0

Postby Opponiz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:39 am

Quote: from Hektik sniper on 7:29 am on June 14, 2003[br]maybe if u didnt use a mac and used a real computer you wouldnt have problems

Ture, however, the problems I would have are not worth it.
Opponiz
level0

Postby Opponiz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:43 am

Quote: from Icepick on 11:11 am on June 15, 2003[br]Stability is a moot point if there isn't actually anything to run on the thing ;)

And that is just plain ignorance... I don't feel like going through all the points... but it boils down to: The Apple system is more powerful, more stable, gives you a greater ability to do what you want, is easier to use, and has about the same amount of [u]current[/i] software.
Opponiz
level0

Postby Opponiz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:51 am

Quote: from Rkiver on 6:12 pm on June 15, 2003[br]Ok so a piece of machinery is better then a piece of software?

If you are going to compare something at least compare the same things............Comparing an OS to something that an OS runs on...why not compare a Ferrari F50 to Unleaded Petrol....see it makes no sense.True windows is buggy, PC's aren't. True Macs are stable, but no more so then pcs, it's the OS that makes a machine stable or not, not just the hardware. Think before you make a comment.

Just because Uplink is now available on the Mac a full 18 months after it came out on the pc does not mean all of a sudden more apps will be available on the Mac and people will suddenly switch.

As it stands PC's outnumber Mac's about 10 to 1, until that changes most apps and games will be the perview of the PC user, unless someone decides to port them over to the mac, as was the case with Uplink.

In otherwords, for now the PC reigns supreme....deal with it.

*Sighs* ok... lets go over this one...

1) The Mac system is better in almost every perspective than the PC system. And the analogy you used is incorrect. It would be more like comparing the steering system of a really cheap car (in this case, the steering is Windows) to a steering system that you can only use in a really good car (Mac OS).

2) Pay attention to the real world. Look around you. Look at current apps. A heck of alot of them are for Mac.

3) True... but whats the problem with ported games? In most cases the ported game is better than the origional.

4) Perhapse in numbers, but look at the quality and benchmark tests.... well... Macs rule :D
Opponiz
level0

Postby Opponiz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:54 am

Quote: from Stewsburntmonkey on 4:19 am on June 17, 2003[br]I should point out that the Mac port was not done by Chris, but handled by Contraband Ent.  

In general Macs are more stable than PCs simply because of the control Apple has over nearly every aspect of the Mac.  They control the hardware and OS.  This means they don't have to worry so much about supporting an infinite variety of hardware configurations and can optimize the OS much more than Microsoft can.  Mac also has much better engineering than most PC manufactures and so the hardware is generally better.  I would agree most gamers have to have a PC, but for many Macs are a better choice.  Almost any artistic computing is nicer on a Mac (photo, video, sound editing).  :)

And you can use all kinds of 3rd party hardware in a Mac.

(Edited by Opponiz at 6:06 am on July 14, 2003)
Opponiz
level0

Postby Opponiz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:56 am

Quote: from Ionas on 6:01 am on June 17, 2003[br]I see the  the old diplomatic half-truth that macs are better for multimedia editing is still maintained. With wonderful apps like Photoshop and Cubase reaching macs and pcs simultaneously, and hardware being streamlined, I would say that this hasn't been quite true for the last 5 or 6 years or so. But it does make for a nice compromise ;-) [And in general, companies that provide OSes seldom work to support existing hardware configurations, but instead work to develop new technologies that third-part companies can make use of. And, with the new freebsd core of OS X, apple has further relinquished control of their system. Thus, I'd say apple and microsoft do just as much optimization of their systems, neither company striving to adapt their system to new hardware and technologies. Quite the other way around.]

But I must say I don't understand the admins of this forum. Presumably, Introversion released Uplink for macintosh because they wanted mac users playing the game. The ambrosia uplink webboards are already full of users who find the introversion forums hostile and 'flamable'. Now, the admins are not only letting a thread that will make many mac users return to the ambrosia boards remain active, but one admin even joins in on it, even if it was with a very harmless comment. I don't think this is doing Introversion and Chris a favor, just as it isn't doing the macintosh users a favor.

I must point out that you can get more power with a mac system... apple.com/powermac

Return to “Mac Uplink”