Book 3 and 4

Have a chat about out new freebee

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

ajes
level0

Book 3 and 4

Postby ajes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi,

I know that there are many sites which offer book3, but I really want find it. Can I get some more hints?
I was able to find password for 1st book, and I crack book2 (it wasn't hard). But I don't have any clue abput book 3. Can someone give me a hints (not solution) (Yes I see readme.txt, and this numbers)?
The same problem with book 4. WHere can I found 'start information' about this book (start hint, whatever)?

Regards

PS. I use search and google...
Indra
level0

Book 3 and 4

Postby Indra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 am

One way to get Book 3 of the game bible is to buy the Uplink Developer CD, which Introversion still sells. All the books of the game bible are unencrypted on the Developer CD.

Since you decrypted the readme.txt file that comes with book 2 of the game bible, you saw the encoded message at the end of the file which tells how to get book 3. The encoded message tells you the location where you could download the unencrypted book 3 from. Unfortunately this download location does not work any more.

Even though the download location does not work anymore, I still chose to break the code for the message at the end of the book 2 readme.txt file that tells the location where you can download book 3. Determining what cipher was used to encode the message is just as interesting as reading book 3.

If you want to break the code for the message, here are some hints:

You'll need a copy of the Hacker's Manifesto. I think I read in one of these forums that a physically printed hard-copy of the manifesto was hidden somewhere in the original Uplink CD. If you don't have an Uplink CD, the manifesto can be found online.

It really helps to have part of the plaintext of the message in order to determine how the entire message was encoded (the cipher). Some of the plaintext of the message can be found on Angel Knight's website at http://members.multimania.nl/uplink . Click the "Game Bible" link on the left side of his web page and read his hints for book 3. His hints for book 3 have some of the plaintext of the message.
ajes
level0

Postby ajes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Thank you for your response. :)
And one more thing.... I understand how this is encoded, but.... I need proper formated Hackers Manifesto. Could someone send me or give me a link to proper formatted manifesto? (or is there any hint, how to format it?)

Regards
Indra
level0

Postby Indra » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 am

The blog post at http://uplinkfan.blogspot.com/2011/10/g ... bible.html has the properly formatted Hackers Manifesto, but beware, this blog post is a full spoiler for how to decrypt chapter 3 of the Uplink game bible.
ajes
level0

My code to crack book README from book2

Postby ajes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 am

This is my code in bash to crack code in README from book2:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# var
TheHackerManifesto="${1}"
code="${2}"

# function
decode() {
   if [ -z ${2} ]
   then
      message[${1}]="#"
      return
   fi

message[${1}]=$(awk "FNR==${2}" ${TheHackerManifesto} | awk -v word="${3}" '{ print $word }' | cut -c $4)
}

# main() {
    for i in $(seq 1 255)
    do
   decode ${i} $(awk "FNR == ${i}" ${code})
    done

echo ${message[@]} | tr -d " " | tr "#" " "
#}
Indra
level0

Postby Indra » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Nice script. Makes good use of awk, cut, and tr. You also use comments to make the script easier to read, including a fake "main" method which makes the script entry point clear. I've avoided writing shell scripts in the past because the technology always seemed archaic next to Ruby, but I may use this script as inspiration in the future.

Return to “The Bonus Disk”