Books, Anyone?

Have a chat about out new freebee

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Theophilus
level0

Books, Anyone?

Postby Theophilus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:15 am

Not sure how many people are still around here, but I've been reading threads for a couple months since I got Uplink.

And, after looking everywhere, I haven't been able to find the much-talked-about "books". Well, that's not entirely true. I was able to find the Ambrosha stuff, but it didn't decrypt properly, so all my book 2 is just as useless as it was before.

Does anyone happen to have the four Books? I don't care if they're decoded/decrypted or not, I have the stuff to do it myself if they're still encrypted. my e-mail address is in my profile (at least, it should be). Many thanks to anyone who does this for me.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:29 am

Where did you buy Uplink from, and when? If you got it recently, from IV on CD, then you have the data for 2 of the books already. The 3rd you can find based on info you get with the 2nd, and the 4th you'll probably need to look on the forums to find.

If you got it from steam, the only way you can get the first two books is from someone else with the CD version, on the DevCD or from Ambrosia.

Also, if book 2 'didn't decrypt properly', then you're just not approaching the decryption from the right direction.
Theophilus
level0

Postby Theophilus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:25 am

I got it from IV, but as a download. I'm guessing the circumstances are the same as if I had got it from Steam in this case?

[EDIT: When I said Book 2 didn't decrypt properly, I meant that only half of it decrypted. There was half an intelligible sentence, then gibberish, then another half of a different sentence, and then the rest was gibberish.]
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:35 am

In relation to book 2, the OTP decrypter you used may have been unable to deal with the size of the cipher and truncated it. But yep, if you got it from IV via download you'll have to get books 1 and 2 from others (or, in the latter case, from Ambrosia). The other 2 were originally available to anyone with internet access, but one of them you may have to get from someone direct because it probably isn't available anymore the way it was intended.
Theophilus
level0

Postby Theophilus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:48 am

Well then I'm guessing that I've got the right stuff, but that my OTP decrypter's screwy (for lack of a better word).

Think you could point me in the direction of a good decrypter? The one I was using I found a link to in another thread, but evidently it's not good enough....

Return to “The Bonus Disk”