Is there a way to edit the .usr file

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Bloodlust
level0

Is there a way to edit the .usr file

Postby Bloodlust » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 am

Its like this, I have been playing the game for 2 days since i bought it. And one morning i wake up try to enter my user name and password and i read that some big company reported that i hacked into her system and etc. The game gave me a log of my rank, the money amount in my bank acc and etc. The problem is I dont wanna stop playing the game just because i got cough hacking. So is there a way to edit my .usr and changa the fact that i was hacked or detected on that "big company" witch name is unknown?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:37 am

Once you've been caught, the size of the user file drops dramatically and all information about your game bar what you're told is lost. If you have backups of your user file, then you can use redshirt on it (do a search if you want to find it) and then edit it - but it's easier just to restore a backup before the hack you got caught for.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Bloodlust
level0

Postby Bloodlust » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:43 am

i figured that out myself but i don't have a backup of the .usr file and and suppose i start a new game with a new user its complicated to backup my .usr file before every hack just to be sure that i dont get cough in the process and i was thinking is there a program to do the backup for me ?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:54 am

It's really much easier just to copy the user file and rename it. Sure, you could probably use a commercial file back-up program, but I don't see it as worth the effort, particularly when all you really need to do is to not get caught - which isn't that hard with a little experience.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
T4
level1
level1

Postby T4 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:15 pm

If you don't want to start over when you get caught, the easiest way is to manually copy the .usr file after every big hack or after you received lots of cash etc.

It's easy. Just pause the game, hit the Windows-key, go to the folder with the .usr files and there you are.
Or, if you have the folder opened, just hit ALT+TAB.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:26 am

I realize this is super old, but it's such a piece of cake to make batch files to do backup and restores for you.
You can keep them on your desktop, and pop off whichever you need.

Here's a quick rundown for Windows:

- Open up "My Computer" and go to "C:\Program Files\Strategy First\Uplink\"
- Create a new folder called "User Backups"
- Right click the desktop and select "New" and then "Text Document"
- Name the file something easy to recognize, like "UplinkBackupUtility.bat". Make sure you have the .bat extension.
- Open this new file in notepad
- In this file type in (or copy/paste) the following code:

@echo off
echo Please choose one of the following:
echo 1) Backup
echo 2) Restore
set /P BackupRestore=
IF "%BackupRestore%"=="1" copy /Y "C:\PROGRAM FILES\STRATEGY FIRST\UPLINK\USERS\*.*" "C:\PROGRAM FILES\STRATEGY FIRST\UPLINK\USER BACKUPS"
IF "%BackupRestore%"=="2" copy /Y "C:\PROGRAM FILES\STRATEGY FIRST\UPLINK\USER BACKUPS\*.*" "C:\PROGRAM FILES\STRATEGY FIRST\UPLINK\USERS\"

Operation is easy.
Press 1, and the batch copies the entire Users directory to the User Backups directory you created.
Press 2, and it copies your entire User Backups directory back into Users.

Backup before you screw up, restore afterwards ;)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:48 am

Strategy First? HA!
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 pm

US distributor? I dunno.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 pm

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=35392

Short version: Strategy First had the rights to distribute Uplink, but stopped paying royalties.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:53 am

Interesting.
So I have an 'unethical' copy of Uplink?

I was considering getting in touch anyways, because this disk doesn't have the .zip that's supposed to be on it for the Linux install, however, it looks like if I were to just copy the entire Linux directory over, it might work.
Haven't tried it yet, though.
Would they still take this disk, since I parted with $$ for it? (even though it was like 7 yrs ago)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:12 am

OmenVI wrote:Would they still take this disk, since I parted with $$ for it? (even though it was like 7 yrs ago)

Absolutely no idea what that is meant to mean. Who is they? Introversion or Strategy First? and what do you mean by take? Take for an exchange or just take it off you?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:57 pm

They == IV
Take == Exchange for a copy with the correct data on it.

There's a help file on the disk that says if you're having trouble with the Linux install, you may have a bad copy, and IV will exchange it for a good copy.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”