Uplink extra stuff and "modded" gateways

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Neutralmind
level0

Uplink extra stuff and "modded" gateways

Postby Neutralmind » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:26 pm

I made an easy to install "all in one" zip file that has the (in my opinion) best skins (themes), gateways, lans, sound mods, the newest patch and the simpy uplink mod.
My purpose is that you shouldn't spend many hours trying to find the good invidual themes, lans, and especially gateways when you can just download one file that has them all.

I hope I make at least someones playing easier :wink:
<chop-PB>

WARNING!! YOU WILL HAVE TO START A NEW AGENT IF YOU DECIDE TO COPY THE "lans" FOLDER TOO!!
It is located on "data/lans" on the zip file

If you copy all else and not the "lans" file you should be able to play with your old agent.

I priced the gateways in a very very careful manner trying to scale them in and comparing with the default gateways that came with uplink. It took me more than 5 hours, but I guess in some sense it was worth it :roll:
So just to make clear. I didn't mod the gateways in any sense except for the price, hope I didn't step on any gateway makers' toes :oops:
I also "modded" one theme. Gold-chrome is my favorite theme and is now available with simpsons pictures on academic database etc. missions instead of peoples faces. It goes under the name of Gold-Simpsons theme.
I had some problems with getting a few lans to work, some just wouldn't work. So, I've included only those lans that I myself found out working.

Installing:

Download the zip file, then just drag and drop all the files to your uplink folder and it should work.
I also made a folder of things you have to install named "Installing stuff" where the patch, simply uplink mod and the new sound files are. Those you have to install, they don't come with just drag and drop :shock:

All in all, if you already have your set of favorite theme, the patch and "simply uplink" you can just copy the data and graphics folder from the zip file, which adds you the new gateways and lans.

Content list:

Newly priced Gateways

3d Gateway M15low Eld-Hypnodisc temptress NG-4 E-cool Gateconnect Barney Machinel the33-broncepc The pocket Gateway Mi5 Surveillance M15 max security Mi5 secure eld-Freedom The Mi5 HQ Knight X01761 ML-100 Monster Gateway LiquidAu Watergate X Box acid burn Hammer Time M15 Super Haxor gateway Eclipse XMP Awol 10.000

Lans:

Encore Local Area Network
microsoft
Modlink.txt
USS
angelknightlan
Izrafael Industries
LAN23
Lan25
LANCO
Large_Maze
Psicon Sofware WAN
Rohitab
Security Lan

And a hell a lot of themes to choose from :)

I know it's really nothing big, but it still took some time to make this so I would appreciate some feedback :)

Edit:

Oh yeah, if for some reason the gateways in the game don't show up in the order of price here is what you will have to do.
Take all the gateway txt files away from the "c:/uplink/data/gateways" (or wherever it is you installed uplink) and place them invidually in the order shown above in "Newly priced Gateways".
From left to right :wink:
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:38 am

Appreciate the download, I have been trying for 3 days to get everything working and track down the working/good/decent mods/gateways. Uplink/Onlink/FBI have all been rather....petulant with me as of late. 8)

*Edit* :D :D Fantastic! I dunno which part of Uplink that stuff you uploaded got fixed but whatever it is makes UL actually WORK! Also I was wondering about the specifics on whichever mod it is that allows
; notepad, hotbuttons for 4 apps, the nifty email organizer stuff. Also (I know LOTS of questions) I noticed that some of the icons on the world map are blue squares instead of white, what's the significance to those? (I'm a total n00b at UL sorry :oops: )
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:15 pm

fragmonkey wrote:*Edit* :D :D Fantastic! I dunno which part of Uplink that stuff you uploaded got fixed but whatever it is makes UL actually WORK! Also I was wondering about the specifics on whichever mod it is that allows
; notepad, hotbuttons for 4 apps, the nifty email organizer stuff. Also (I know LOTS of questions) I noticed that some of the icons on the world map are blue squares instead of white, what's the significance to those? (I'm a total n00b at UL sorry :oops: )

I'm glad you're enjoying it :P
As for the blue squares on the map, it should work that way that your mission places should be the blue squares. But what got me off is that the blue squares sometimes stick after the mission. I read somewhere that the blue square places are doing a passive trace or are checked of logs.
That might be the case because when I hacked a place the same companys bank became a blue square.
So, it's either your mission place, a place trying to track you with a passive trace or a place being checked about your logs I think. Don't link those passive trace places when your bouncing :wink:

I can't be sure though :/
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:47 am

One other question I have is about the Memory Banks. On the left of them there are small white boxes that can be selected or deselected, do you know what these are? If you have any of the readme files or anything from the mods it might prevent me from buggin the crap outta ya. :)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Memory banks and white squares? Sure you're not thinking about your stored IP addresses? In which case the square denotes whether or not that IP is displayed as a node on the map.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 pm

fragmonkey wrote:One other question I have is about the Memory Banks. On the left of them there are small white boxes that can be selected or deselected, do you know what these are? If you have any of the readme files or anything from the mods it might prevent me from buggin the crap outta ya. :)

I actually have no idea, I didn't know they can be selected and deselected. I thought it was just to show where that file begins to make copying and other stuff easier, but maybe it has some actual uses.
Beats the hell out of me :?

Btw, are the new gateways listed in the order of price or just randomly?
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 pm

I'd like to know who gave you permission to distribute and change the work of others? Before you did this you should have contacted the mod authors and asked if it was ok, which you didn't.
There is no patch for human stupidity.
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:52 am

That being said, you should contact them for the info, but if it weren't for that pack he put together I would have given up on uplink, so I hope rather than removing the pack, he adds the stuff/makes the contacts. I'm a late comer to the uplink world and had been fighting with it for a couple days in addition to trying to find a place to get decent mods, some of the ones he has in that pack I had never heard of or hadn't gotten hits from googling for them. My only personal beef was the lack of docs so I could see what each mod does and any info (commands etc). Bottom line though, pre-pack = :evil: post-pack = :D
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:40 am

Punisher Bass wrote:I'd like to know who gave you permission to distribute and change the work of others? Before you did this you should have contacted the mod authors and asked if it was ok, which you didn't.

Okay, I should have contacted them, and would have if it were possible somehow. Most of them the author says something like "Haxorz elite" how am I supposed to contact a guy like that? Look at the telephone book and look for Haxorz elite or what?
And, as I said I didn't actually mod anything about their gateways except for the price to scale it down with the other gateways :?
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Okay, I tested my extra stuff thing again after reinstalling uplink. The gateways appear randomly in the list instead of order of price, to correct this you need 5 mins of spare time and my advice.

Go to the folder C:/program files/ Uplink/data/gateways

Now you should see 27 textfiles. Make a new folder anywhere in your pc and place ALL of the textfiles there.
Now you have to invidually place them back to the folder you just took them from
C:/program files/ Uplink/data/gateways

Drag the text files invidually back to the folder in this order:

3d
m15low
Eld-Hypnodisc
temptress
NG-4
E-Cool Gateconnect
Barney
the33-broncepc
pocketgate
m15surv
m15serv
m15
Eld-Freedom
m15HQ
knight
X01761
ML-100
Monster Gateway
Liquidau
Watergate
kankbox
acid burn
Hammer Time
M15sup
haxor gateway
eclipse xmp
10,000 Overkill

Now when you start uplink and go to uplink internal services system > gateway upgrades, the new gateways should now be listed in the order of price.
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 pm

So just because you didn't see where to contact them, that still makes it ok? If you can't get their permission then don't use their work.

I don't know about the other mod authors, but with any of my AWOL work I included a readme with who I am how to contact me.

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:29 am

Most authors of any mods or skins do. Neutralmind has been a very silly person, he took other peoples work, ie theft. Naughty naughty.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
J
level0

Postby J » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 pm

First off, I'd like to thank the author for the pack. I am, just like a bunch of others stalking these forums, an old uplink vet returning to the game after a long time. In the course of trying to maximise the gameplay of the original I have been testing a lot of mods, now at least I know that when I download a mod, they all work.

And just because he has not contacted the authors for permission to bundle the mods doesn't mean has stolen it. All he did was test them and dump em on a big heap, if it don't work it don't go on the heap. Not like he made his own mod with stuff from the others. And he kept the original readme.txt files in place so credit is given where it is due.

Just my 2ct, go kill each other =)

//edit, Windows sorts the .txt files from the gateways on name or type or whatever options you've chosen. The way I solved it was to add a letter to the names. So if you got gateways with the following names:

Gatewayxx.txt
blabla3.txt
yadayada5.txt

You'd hafta add an A to the one you want first, a B to the one you want to be shown as second. etc

A-blabla3.txt
B-Gatewaya.txt
C-yadayada5.txt

then tell windows to sort the pictograms on name =)
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:03 pm

J wrote:First off, I'd like to thank the author for the pack

//edit, Windows sorts the .txt files from the gateways on name or type or whatever options you've chosen. The way I solved it was to add a letter to the names.

You're welcome, I spent a few hours on this so thanks are appreciated :P

But for the text files... Uplink doesn't work like that. I tried sorting them by name at first but uplink recognises the order in which they are put to the folder. So you'll have to do it my way to get the gateways to show in the order price in the game :o
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:53 am

Since you apparently don't care about what you did, I've removed the download link. I suggest you make a genuin effort to contact the mod authors before you go any further. Asking "Is it ok if I use your ..." isn't that hard.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”