Simply uplink

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Vizzerdrix
level1
level1

Postby Vizzerdrix » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:43 am

Hey Agito! Glad to see you back.

Just tried the update button, work fine except it stay on the screen even when I leave the software window, and if you click it when you're not in the software screen, the game get a fatar error and quit. :P

Anyway, how's been the holidays? Got any ideas there?
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:58 am

Ok fixed it.  Update button should only appear when you need it.

Let's see, I did come up with a little bit of new stuff over break.  A few things should be implemented in the next couple of days, we'll see what happens.

Agito
Vizzerdrix
level1
level1

Postby Vizzerdrix » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:34 am

Great, the 'Upgrade' option work perfectly now. Can't wait to see the next update.
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:40 am

Ok, next update's out.  For some reason it took me so long to implement  a pretty simple feature.  Learning experience I suppose.

The first change is to the database search.  It doesn't go as fast now and they all take around 5 or so seconds.  Let me know what you think

The second change is to the memory interface.  Next to program names you can see a little white box.  If you click it, those programs will open up when you start your gateway.  Let me know if this helps.  Also I didn't test it too much, so let me know if it works too :)

Agito
Man
level1
level1

Postby Man » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:41 pm

Hé, it remains the last bug...  When I click on Memory Bank, I have a trick of C++ and a Fatal Error.  Thank you to correct the bug!
Die Welt der Informatikpiraten ist génial..., aber nur auf dem Spiel stehend Video-.
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:28 pm

new version's up, fixed that bug

sorry about that
Vizzerdrix
level1
level1

Postby Vizzerdrix » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:55 am

I just passed a little session of beta testing the new version during the last hours, here's the result:

Sometimes, when I look at my map, there are blue colored server which doesn't have any reason to be colored (no missions affected to 'em). This thing could be solved if, instead of having the game deciding which server should be blue colored and which shouldn't, you add a "Colored" option to this little button allowing to add or remove a dot from the map. Some kind of "Not visible/Visible and colored/Visible and white". This thing would also help when you're connecting on a mainframe or a LAN and need to bounce on a server from the same company just before etablishing the connection since, even if the mission server are colored, the public access server aren't.

Revelation and all its different version shouldn't be available in the start-up feature. :)

Nice feature, but to tell the truth, it's not really useful on most program. This thing should be only available for the security system (Motion sensor and Gateway nuke), several special program, like Revelation Tracer (or is it tracker? well, the one which show the server infected by revelation), useful when you wan't to make a backup or your game before attempting the Arunmor's final mission, and a similar option which open the program when you just connected on a server (mentionned several posts ago). It would allow you to start the proxy/firewall/monitor disable or bypass, and the trace tracker program just as you connect on a server. Sadly, this one wouldn't be cool at all when you're visiting Public Access Server, or Uplink Internal Service System, and it require you to code something so it only does this on Mainframes, LANs, internal service systems (Excluding Uplink's one), and Government server (excluding InterNIC).

Similar to the point above and easier program to code would be a Trace Tracker v5.0 which automaticly launch when connected, or a Voice Analyser v2.0 which launch automaticly when calling someone.

Also, I don't know if this bug was also present in the original Uplink, make some research if you wan't to know if it's only present in Simply Uplink, but, when you start a new game, there are already news about server which got rebooted or suffered from a major data loss in the Uplink's news section, but IF you receive a "Destroy this software" or "Elite agent required for system destruction" mission, no matter if it's stored on a LAN or not, and IF the company you got to attack were already in the news at the begining of the game, then you can already tell your employer you accomplished your mission, and you'll get the "mission completed" email and money from your employer.

Nice job you did on the search, it run smooth and fast now, keep up the good work.
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:08 am

I'll take a look
Man
level1
level1

Postby Man » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Ok, Agito, thanks to bug's correction.
The man (Vizzedrik) say true, but it's very very little bugs.
So, Agito : YOUR MOD IS THE PERFECTION!!!!!!

I LIKE YOU A LOT!!!!!!!
Die Welt der Informatikpiraten ist génial..., aber nur auf dem Spiel stehend Video-.
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:01 am

Well, it will be perfect when other mods are combined.
I did defeat Epyon, on Hard Mode but I used up lots of continues. :)
Man
level1
level1

Postby Man » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:55 pm

Yes, I agree with you but this mod, alone is very good!
ouch
level1
level1

Postby ouch » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:09 pm

Agito I love your mod! no, seriously it is the best thing since supersized fries. :)

anyway I have a some requests:

you know the login password listings in some admin acounts? (banks have them for instance) it would be cool to be able press a button and have the currently displayed one transversed into the notepad program automatically. this would cut back on a lot of username and password writing I do.

would it be possible to save the stuff in notepad to a file? (an uplink file that is :) ) kinda like the voice analyzer.

would it be possible to find out the total size of an fileserver? I make plans to put all these files to a server only to have them ruined because all of the space is used up.

also could you please make a defragmenter that moves files to the very bottom instead of the very top? this saves clicking the downarrow thousands of times to get to a blank spot. Perhapps even the ability to filter programs and data and tell it which end of the drive you want them on. also if you do that could you make the agent list datafiles be considered part of the agent list program? or even specific filenames.

also there is a bug in uplink where if you delete the sys files... exit... go back into the console... and type shutdown the server reboots normally. it's like the server forgets it's sys files are deleted or something :) if you could fix this minor introversion mistake that would be the bomb :)

I doubt anyone has this much time on thier hands but... could you make a copy/paste system of sorts for the notepad. like if I see something important like a wireless freq. i could highlight it and paste it into notepad?

I also have been thinking of a new trace type called detective or something :) anyway the basic idea is that if in real life they would check the records of internic and see if anyone recently looked up something relating to the recently hacked company. and passive trace that ID back to the person that looked it up. same would apply to phone calls to the staff. perhaps because there is no hard evidence that you did something perhaps uplink would drop your rateing telling you to be more carefull in the future. I would find myself very vulnerable to this type of trace as I never delete internic logs and I useully connect directly.

I only have the modlink version as I havn't seen this posted here till today and I'm at work so I can't try this new version out for about 2 hours. :( so sorry if some of this stuff is already in the current version.
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:04 am

Great feedback! Lot's of good ideas there. I'll try to stick some of those simpler features in there and get it up tonight. And I'll work on some tricky ones later this week

Thanks so much
Agito
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:56 am

ok, new versions up on my site. Implemented a couple of small features detailed in the readme.

Changed the startup feature to the "batch" feature, should be pretty nifty

Let me know what you think

Agito

www.geocities.com/darkagito
lostplace2002
level1
level1

Postby lostplace2002 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:53 am

Ok I have a problem with this mod. If I accept to many missions (meaning that the scroll bar apears in the jobs
menu) and then I click again on the jobs icon I get a fatal error message. Does this happen only to me or is this a
general bug

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”