Simply uplink

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

itax
level2
level2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:05 pm
Contact:

Postby itax » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:26 pm

I found some bugs on 'SimplyUplink'
-When i try to copy a file(such as Revelation but also any other file) from my memory to copy it into the file server the 'fatal error' screen comes...
-In a console the 'enter' button doesn't work, i always need to click on Post which is kind of irritating...
Also a few questions
-How does the voice analyser saving thingy work?, because i can't type anything in the blue box..
-How do i use the autobounce?
Other than these rather irritating bugs, i LOVE the mod!!
:shock: Itax :shock:
P.S. I use Win98....
Image
Agito
level1
level1
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:32 am
Contact:

Postby Agito » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:47 pm

Wow, I have my work cut out for me

I'm getting back on july 9th, so I won't get an update out for a couple of days

i haven't spoken to neott yet about the fbi mod, but we'll see what happens

Secondly, since you guys seem to have so much fun brainstorming I'm thinking about adding a few new features.

Virus creation seems like a good idea.

Is there anything else you'd like to be able to code. scripts of some kind?

And I want to put in an overclocking feature. Here's how I see it:
You do someone at uplink a favor and they hook you up with a maintenance tool at the uplink facility or you can just hack into it.

Using this tool you can access people's gateways by gateway id or somesuch. I figure this is what people do when they're installing new cpus

Then you click on your cpu/motherboard (haven't figured out if I want to let you overclock each cpu individually or the whole shabang by doing the motherboard)

Now I wanted to put in some sort of minigame of sorts but I can't figure out how to implement it. I want it to be skill-based, so that the better you are at overclocking the better success rate you have

If you fail you either blow the chip, and have to get a new one or it just runs at a slower rate

Also I was thinking about buying more fans for your cpu's or somesuch.

Anyways just some ideas I'm throwing out there, I have a few other things up my sleeve. I can't wait to get home

Ciao from Roma, Italia
Agito
User avatar
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:04 pm

Agito wrote:Wow, I have my work cut out for me

I'm getting back on july 9th, so I won't get an update out for a couple of days

i haven't spoken to neott yet about the fbi mod, but we'll see what happens

Secondly, since you guys seem to have so much fun brainstorming I'm thinking about adding a few new features.

Virus creation seems like a good idea.

Is there anything else you'd like to be able to code. scripts of some kind?

And I want to put in an overclocking feature. Here's how I see it:
You do someone at uplink a favor and they hook you up with a maintenance tool at the uplink facility or you can just hack into it.

Using this tool you can access people's gateways by gateway id or somesuch. I figure this is what people do when they're installing new cpus

Then you click on your cpu/motherboard (haven't figured out if I want to let you overclock each cpu individually or the whole shabang by doing the motherboard)

Now I wanted to put in some sort of minigame of sorts but I can't figure out how to implement it. I want it to be skill-based, so that the better you are at overclocking the better success rate you have

If you fail you either blow the chip, and have to get a new one or it just runs at a slower rate

Also I was thinking about buying more fans for your cpu's or somesuch.

Anyways just some ideas I'm throwing out there, I have a few other things up my sleeve. I can't wait to get home

Ciao from Roma, Italia
Agito


:shock: Wow. /me loves ideas
Image
Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.
Uplink Directory Dossier
Compgeek79
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 pm
Contact:

as for overclocking

Postby Compgeek79 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:08 am

how about adding a durability attribute to each cpu, it degrades slowly over time, and overclocking wears it out faster, but installing fans slow it down to a certain point

ex.:
a regular cpu loses one durability point per week
an overclocked cpu loses more per week
each fan in the machine reduces the points lost by a certain percentage, this way you can also incorporate different levels of cooling, from a basic fan up to (perhaps) a water cooling system

possible code idea: each cpu has ~400 durability points, lower speed procs can have more, higher speed procs may have less, all of the degrade at a 1 point a week typically(~8 years lifespan), overclocking speeds that rate up in proportion to the rise in speed, (a 60 GQ/s proc running at 120 will lose 2 dur. points a week, 180 3 points, etc.) the addition of cooling systems will slow down the degrading, a simple fan could have a 2% (just a random number i thought would work) effect on each processor

so:
a 60 gq/s prc running at 180 gq/s loses 3 points a week
but the rig has a basic fan, for a 2% improvement
so 1-.02=.98
so the new rate of degrading becomes 3 x .98=2.94
and assuming the processor has 400 points, it goes from a lifespan of 133 and 1/3 weeks to around 136 weeks, with just one fan, installing another basic fan does the same thing again:
2.94 x .98=2.88, so now 138 weeks.
so the benefit for each fan slowly decreases, 1 fan adds 3 weeks, adding another only adds 2 more weeks, and so on, this makes it impossible (unless you hack a fan's code to make 100% effective) to completely stop cpus from wearing out, and allows there to be levels of cooling systems

to add a bit more realism, the durability points could be a measure of success, so a proc with all of it's durability points has a 0%chance of failure, the more points it loses the more likely it is to fail

something like:
(remaining points)/(original points)=(success level)
if (random number from 0-1)>(success level)
then processor fails

ex:
250/400=.625
if (.11)>(.625)
then proc fails
else nothing

or as the proc degrades, it's speed slows down as well, but that's not as realistic, since most procs are either working or broken, and it's the software that makes them slower
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.

Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG

Simply Uplink
User avatar
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: as for overclocking

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:56 pm

Compgeek79 wrote:how about adding a durability attribute to each cpu, it degrades slowly over time, and overclocking wears it out faster, but installing fans slow it down to a certain point

ex.:
a regular cpu loses one durability point per week
an overclocked cpu loses more per week
each fan in the machine reduces the points lost by a certain percentage, this way you can also incorporate different levels of cooling, from a basic fan up to (perhaps) a water cooling system

possible code idea: each cpu has ~400 durability points, lower speed procs can have more, higher speed procs may have less, all of the degrade at a 1 point a week typically(~8 years lifespan), overclocking speeds that rate up in proportion to the rise in speed, (a 60 GQ/s proc running at 120 will lose 2 dur. points a week, 180 3 points, etc.) the addition of cooling systems will slow down the degrading, a simple fan could have a 2% (just a random number i thought would work) effect on each processor

so:
a 60 gq/s prc running at 180 gq/s loses 3 points a week
but the rig has a basic fan, for a 2% improvement
so 1-.02=.98
so the new rate of degrading becomes 3 x .98=2.94
and assuming the processor has 400 points, it goes from a lifespan of 133 and 1/3 weeks to around 136 weeks, with just one fan, installing another basic fan does the same thing again:
2.94 x .98=2.88, so now 138 weeks.
so the benefit for each fan slowly decreases, 1 fan adds 3 weeks, adding another only adds 2 more weeks, and so on, this makes it impossible (unless you hack a fan's code to make 100% effective) to completely stop cpus from wearing out, and allows there to be levels of cooling systems

to add a bit more realism, the durability points could be a measure of success, so a proc with all of it's durability points has a 0%chance of failure, the more points it loses the more likely it is to fail

something like:
(remaining points)/(original points)=(success level)
if (random number from 0-1)>(success level)
then processor fails

ex:
250/400=.625
if (.11)>(.625)
then proc fails
else nothing

or as the proc degrades, it's speed slows down as well, but that's not as realistic, since most procs are either working or broken, and it's the software that makes them slower


Maybe a regular (that is, not overclocked) processor could just lose nothing? Then there could be a severe penalty for extended periods of overclocking, with smaller penalties for short periods of overclocking. In addition, there could be an expensive (500,000 credits, maybe) upgrade that reduces CPU degradation by some percentage, maybe 50%. Finally, there could be an outrageously expensive (750,000--1,000,000 credits) upgrade to prevent all CPU degradation.

EDIT: I'm suggest these ideas simply because I don't want to have to keep replacing all my processors: I'm using an Overdrive II with 74 CPUs! That would be one hell of a hassle, to say the least.
Image

Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.

Uplink Directory Dossier
Compgeek79
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 pm
Contact:

justification

Postby Compgeek79 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:23 pm

a regular processor still dgrades over time, just much slower, and all the numbers were just for example, someone better with statistics and probabilities would need to adjust them to be realistic, also consider that if there are ~400 durability points on a proc it will take almost eight years for it to wear out, i doubt that there are many people who have an active user for more than 8 game years, and if they do they probably have the cred to cover replacing processors
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.



Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG



Simply Uplink
User avatar
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:29 pm

True. I suppose I overestimated the amount of time it would take for the processor to degrade. Still, though, it would be nice to be able to install upgrades that stop degradation so you don't have to worry about it. Also, to Agito: if the FBI mod features are going to be included in the next update, do you think you could collaborate with neott on a VDPIN cracker?
Image

Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.

Uplink Directory Dossier
Compgeek79
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 pm
Contact:

there is such a device

Postby Compgeek79 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:44 pm

the fans and other cooling systems will slow proccessor degrading, a typical (non-overclocked) proc in a rig with a basic fan (2% benefit) will lose .98 points per week, w/ 2 fans it will lose ~.96 so a 400 point proc will go 408 weeks with one fan, and 416 with 2, also more advanced fans can also be created, or a fan that will be just for one proc that has a really high efficiency, so you can overclock just one cpu, and raise it's life to the same as the rest of the procs, or put in lower efficiency case fans to minorly improve all the procs

EDIT: Which idea sounds better, having the processors wear out predictably, or having the durability be a measure of the chance of success?
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.



Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG



Simply Uplink
User avatar
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: there is such a device

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:31 pm

Compgeek79 wrote:the fans and other cooling systems will slow proccessor degrading, a typical (non-overclocked) proc in a rig with a basic fan (2% benefit) will lose .98 points per week, w/ 2 fans it will lose ~.96 so a 400 point proc will go 408 weeks with one fan, and 416 with 2, also more advanced fans can also be created, or a fan that will be just for one proc that has a really high efficiency, so you can overclock just one cpu, and raise it's life to the same as the rest of the procs, or put in lower efficiency case fans to minorly improve all the procs

EDIT: Which idea sounds better, having the processors wear out predictably, or having the durability be a measure of the chance of success?


Predictability sounds better to me. I always love predictability. :D
Image

Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.

Uplink Directory Dossier
PiD4x
level1
level1
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:31 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby PiD4x » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:52 pm

I like the idea of overclocking :)

Don't know how it should be implemented though. I mean, why would uplink corp (?) offer to let you overclock, i think they would want you to pay more for the faster CPU's.
Maybe you could get a e-mail in-game from an Uplink employee offering you his 'services' on the side to install custom mod that lets you overclock, for a small fee of cource 8) and you e-mail him back when you have the cash ready for him (if you choose to get it), if you dont have the cash handy.

I like the way Compgeek79 said, except maybe if you don’t choose to get the overclocking mod that your cpu's life isn’t effected at all, but if you do, then all your cpu's (overclocked or not) will be effected the way he said.

i think a cpu should have a max life of about 4years and 6months to 2years max if its being overclocked hardcore, 8years is a bit to much realistically (not to say it couldn’t happen, just all i see is about 4years max), in theory i did read in a pc magazine over here that a CPU has about 8years life span and video cards about 4years before you can really notice any performance degrades in real life heh
Agito
level1
level1
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:32 am
Contact:

Postby Agito » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:16 pm

Well, you guys are definitely providing some interesting ideas

I'm thinking up a lot of good stuff for when I get back (friday)

Here's how I have overclocking planned so far:

PiD4x was onto it when he said some guy at uplink emails you asking for a little extra cash on the side.
Overclocking is not condoned by Uplink

Secondly, instead of having durability, I'm thinking of adding a "strain gauge" It fills up the more actions you do on your computer depending on what programs you're running and what they're doing. I was thinking when the strain is at a certain level your cpu's will start to degrade, and if it gets too high maybe it will blow.

Installing cooling systems or having higher quality overclocks will increase strain capacity

Now I don't want you able to just like click a button and have your computer overclocked. I want there to be some sort of mini-game or puzzle involved but I'm totally blanking. Does anyone have any ideas?

Agito

P.S: I highly recommend visiting amsterdam[/quote]
PiD4x
level1
level1
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:31 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby PiD4x » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:12 pm

Now I don't want you able to just like click a button and have your computer overclocked. I want there to be some sort of mini-game or puzzle involved but I'm totally blanking. Does anyone have any ideas?


While not really a mini-game, or a puzzle, I think a combination system (kind of a puzzle) would be good. Maybe having to try to find a good configuration for your over clocking. By Specifying Voltage, Multiplier and FSB (Front Side Bus) Values for your over clock. Some combinations won’t work at all, some will work, others will work better, etc.

I think breaking it down into two values that effect each other, and creating two gauges while your at it, one for “strain” and one for “satiability”, That way the different combinations could effect the performance in different ways.

Where more satiability means you can run more tasks with out effecting the strain but less overall performance increase, while less satiability could mean less processes running at once, but greater overall performance.

Voltage - too much = bad, not enough = bad - pretty straight forward, effects the satiability and strain greatly if it’s wrong.

FSB - pushing the FSB gives more satiability, so it won’t create as much strain on the system when running many processes, while giving moderate performance increases

Multiplier - raising the multiplier could give excellent performance increases, but very unstable, so having many processes running at once, or over a prolonged time, would put more strain on the system, etc… something like that I think could work anyway...

Overall the type of cooling and hardware would be one of the main contributing factors, if you push the speed allot, you need to give it more voltage, but even a little voltage increase generate more heat, etc..

Just exactly what would make a good combination / bad combination, both with the overclocking values and hardware, needs more thinking heh.

However it all works, I think a new piece of software should be made available to ‘benchmark’ your system, that will report back what the approx. strain level / breaking point (number of max processes you can run while keeping the system stable) and performance gain by the over clock
Compgeek79
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 pm
Contact:

mini-game

Postby Compgeek79 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 am

i like the idea of having a mini-game to overclock your rig, but don't make it too technical, i don't want to have to sit at my computer with my calculator trying to balnce out fsb, multiplier, and voltage, it's just too tedious for most people
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.



Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG



Simply Uplink
PiD4x
level1
level1
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:31 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: mini-game

Postby PiD4x » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:49 pm

Compgeek79 wrote:i like the idea of having a mini-game to overclock your rig, but don't make it too technical, i don't want to have to sit at my computer with my calculator trying to balnce out fsb, multiplier, and voltage, it's just too tedious for most people


FSB * multiplier = speed - it's not to technical :P

lol, dunno but id like a bit of a challenge..enter somthing to insane and you fry your gateway and things like that, semi real - not like a pac-man mini game or anything :p
Agito
level1
level1
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:32 am
Contact:

Postby Agito » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:13 am

Hey all, back in town and hard at work

Unfortunately I'm having some internet trouble, so I can't upload a new version yet, but I'm working on getting something to you all soon

Good to be back

Agito

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests