No sequel?

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

hackerboy
level2
level2

Postby hackerboy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:58 am

Why isn't Introversion making a sequel to Uplink?

Well, let's take a look at Uplink.  It came out and was generally proclaimed to be original and good and all that nice stuff.  Basically, it rocks!

Now, when a game, book, or movie comes out and is a huge success, the sequel generally fails to complete it.

Even it does complete it, it is a huge task.  Look at The Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and especially The Matrix.

That's why I think that Introversion is not going to make a sequel, it simply cannot be done adequately.

Your thoughts?
    Friends don't let friends post spam.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:40 am

Well they aren't making a sequel as they are working on <the next game> and <the next next game>.
Now they are keeping what they both are under wraps, so maybe one of them is a sequel.

But Chris said no to a sequel so that would appear to be the end of it. But Uplink is original, so keeping it that way is better. Uplink 2, would have to be pretty damn spectacular to keep up to how Uplink was viewed. But that's jus tmy opinion.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Orillion
level3
level3

Postby Orillion » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:52 pm

And an expansion pack is kind of a waste too, because of the huge number of mods out there. Still, if it was original....
Made you look!
Agent Zerro
level3
level3

Postby Agent Zerro » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:55 am

Good point, hackerboy. If Introversion will release a sequel to Uplink, there is a small chance that they will mess it up. I am not saying that Introversion cannot repeat the succes of Uplink, but if they mess it up, lots of hardcore players will be really upset.
I think it's better just to keep on releasing some new patches and just improve the game thru these patches.
Any comments, hackers?
Think the Unthinkable
Expect the Unexpected
Do the Impossible

Kros
level1
level1

Postby Kros » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:47 am

I dont think it would make much sense to make one now that they have released the DevCD anyway, if someone really wanted to they could make a full mod of the game using it (The DevCD) and make it like a Uplink II just using 'the Uplink engine'. Theres my 1 cent.

~Kros
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:10 pm

IV said they don't want to become a company releasing endless sequals and addon packs, they want to spend their time on original things
Agent Zerro
level3
level3

Postby Agent Zerro » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:04 pm

This time i only have an ideea i whould basically like to share: The Pentagon and NASA. Get my point? It whould be really cool if you could hack into theese places. I'm not saying it should be easy, make it really difficult, but it whould be nice if it could be done. What say you, fellow Agents?
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:43 pm

You could create a LAN for the company. The game will then create a new corporation depending on the name of the LAN.

For example, I created a LAN called I created a LAN called Local Area Network. The game will create a new corporation including the Internal Services Machine, Public Server or Access Terminal or Bank since there is only a limited amount of them.

All you need to do is to create a LAN called NASA Local Area Network. A NASA Public Access Server, NASA Internal Services Machine, NASA Access Terminal, NASA International Bank will then be created. The Access Terminal and Bank may not be avaliable.

Conclusion: You do not need a Developer CD to do this. Just follow the LAN guide or use the LAN Creator. Unless you are talking about a new storyline or some special event like the Mole mission, it will be a different thing.

Edit: Second Conclusion:
You can do this by yourself.

(Edited by Corruptation at 5:44 pm on Jan. 12, 2004)
I did defeat Epyon, on Hard Mode but I used up lots of continues. :)
timonb
level0

Postby timonb » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:14 am

Introversion can make a sequal if they want to... They have good ingredients how to make a new game. Look at all the posts on the forums.

But to rip of the name "sequal" rename the new game rofl :-)
greetz timon
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:29 pm

tominb: Of course they can make a sequel if they want to. But they don't. Chris, the lead programmer, the person who helped for Introversion Software, and who coded Uplink while in Uni, has categorically stated that there will be no Uplink sequel. So I think we can assume that there will be none until they decide otherwise.

For now IV are working on some different games, original games, that they would like viewed in the same way Uplink was. New, different, not done before.
Charlesc83
level0

Postby Charlesc83 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:26 pm

I still think they should make another Hacking game. Not a sequel to Uplink though. They should definatly make another hacking game though, Like in 3d this time where you can actually see you office and be able to goto your computer or goto something' else like an in game journal and calendar.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:38 pm

But would graphics such as that really improve the game Charlesc83? Just being able to walk around your office or check a journal or calender seems rather useless, and would be a waste of memory and programming as it really would not affect gameplay.

That being said it is a matter of opinion if it would improve gameplay.
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:27 am

It might not increase gameplay for some people, but it would make it more realistic, therefore making it funner for others. Probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort for the design team, though. Maybe someone with the DevCD would be kind enough to do it? Who knows?
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:42 am

Uh, no. For one, it would be a total change made to the game engine, and two, it wouldn't be worth it in the end.
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:58 am

Didn't think so, but it would've been kinda neat.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”