Uplink realism issues

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

TheHackMan
level2
level2

Postby TheHackMan » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:12 pm

This is just a general comment to the thread subject and does not follow currant conversation:
If Uplink was to real, goverments would file lawsuits and stuff and Uplink would have legal trouble.

Edit: The reason for my above statement is if you ran a group of hackers that was public knowledge you'd get shut down, not the mainframes.

(Edited by TheHackMan at 4:43 pm on Feb. 21, 2004)
- - - Watch this space - - -
tbwj21
level1
level1

Postby tbwj21 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:08 pm

You want a realistic hacking game? Then get Darksigns, but before you play it you will have to read like the whole tutorial because the game is fully console, probably the most realistic hacking game there is, try it and see if you like it better.
Compgeek79
level1
level1

you want realism?

Postby Compgeek79 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:11 pm

I was going to suggest http://www.hackthissite.org, but apparently the guy who was paying the bills got annoyed that there weren't enough donations and took it down, it was all legal they had website hacking, password hacking, and program hacking, but alas it is no more

Edit: My copy of uplink keeps bugging out so i've decided to try 2 other hacking games, they're both console based, and have a very steep learning curve, because you have to learn the commands:

Darksigns is kind of a halfway point between uplink and FATE, it's console based but the commands are kind of simplified (for example: to connect to a site you enter "connect <IP address or web address>), one of it's big selling points is it's own scripting language, DarkScript, i'm sure it's great but i never used and i never had to, the game has a lot of great features but most of them are just extra and not necesary to beat the game, but offer a challenge after you've beaten it.

FATE is another Consoled-based sim, and is more realistic, you use linux commands to navigate the game, and the goal is to gain root access on each system then clear the logs and contact your employer for the next mission, the main site for the game also has tutorials for a number of usefuls skills such as: lock picking program hacking, card counting, all the necesities, the forums though are somewhat lacking, mostly because there aren't many active users, which is also good because they won't feed you an answer, but will give you a hint instead.

P.S.: Both of these game are in late Beta Testing, they will probably work for you, but the storylines are incomplete
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.

Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG

Simply Uplink

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”