Pseudo-uplink online existed for a year but nobody donated.

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

123chess456
level0

Pseudo-uplink online existed for a year but nobody donated.

Postby 123chess456 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 pm

http://codelinkv2.com/web/

It is gone now :(

Played it, it was fun while it lasted. It even had pvp!
Dr_Sir
level0

Re: Pseudo-uplink online existed for a year but nobody donat

Postby Dr_Sir » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Maybe we could pull together and donate $20 each or something?
Nuzurame
level0

Postby Nuzurame » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 pm

I just randomly found this topic and i did play that online version.

It was rather well made. Everyone had a gateway like in uplink. You could find other people IPs in logs from their bounce route.
To be able to "hack" other people gateways you needed to buy a special "PvP module" (don't remember names). The moment you installed said module you accepted that other people can attack you and vice versa. Often was the case that your target server which you had a mission for, was temporalily shutdown by another player.

All your gateway components had some kind of durability which could be taken down to 0 by another player. Certain programs were used as a means to attack a component. To defend, you had a software firewalls of all kinds and levels that worked as a temporary shields to systems. Firewalls could be recharged using your processing power, but damaged components could only be repaired with $ and not in fight. Damaged systems were also less effective. If you all your CPUs reached 0 durability you lost the game (if i remember correctly).

Of course there were many different attacking and defending programs. The best of them could not be bought and were stored on some super well defended servers which you could only hack when working in group. The players that managed to hack said server got the rare software and later they were defending it to prevent other people from getting the software to keep dominating the game. It was quite cool as it created a meta game where certain players were trying to hide their Identity from defenders.

What i liked was that despite being multiplayer, you didn't need to grind missions for weeks or months. Just a couple of days, similiar progression like in Uplink or maybe a bit slower. It was perfectly paced imo. You had your own "desktop" there and the user interface was fully customizable, with resisable and movable windows. There were even custom skins available.

It was THE online Uplink you thought could be. Looking forward to his CodeLink V3 project. Be it 1 year or 10 years, i wish him good luck.
Yendra
level0

Postby Yendra » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:53 pm

Uplink remains dead partly because of the community. I spent several minutes browsing the forums and every time someone is asking for help, s/he gets treated with abuse, condescended to, and often people refuse to help at all. I doubt people with such an inflated ego would donate.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Yendra wrote:Uplink remains dead partly because of the community. I spent several minutes browsing the forums and every time someone is asking for help, s/he gets treated with abuse, condescended to, and often people refuse to help at all. I doubt people with such an inflated ego would donate.

That didn't happen that many times. It only happens if the one asking for help is being a real jackass.

Return to “The Future”