Uplink Online style game

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

zaita
level0

Uplink Online style game

Postby zaita » Sat May 01, 2010 6:05 am

Hey guys,

I've refrained from posting too much information on our attempt to build a multiplayer online hacking game until we actually had a fair amount of code done. Now that we've done quite a bit of work I'm happy to post some information about our game.

Firstly, We are NOT trying to be an Uplink clone. Uplink was a good game that had some good ideas. But we want to make our own vision of a hacking game and do it our way. While we are still in the same genre as Uplink we're trying to develop our own ideas and methods of doing things.

For some more information (and development screenshots) have a look at: http://www.zaita.com/?page_id=54

If you wish to help, we we'd happily have more people join the project then drop me a private message on the forum. You will need some C++ development experience.

Regards,
Zaita.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

Well most of the others ended up as vapourware, but regardless,

good luck to you
zaita
level0

Postby zaita » Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks for the wish of good luck.

I do not anticipate this to become vapourware; as it's actually been in development for a few months now and has had a large amount of development work put into the server-side. The development hasn't slowed at all and we've been making excellent progress. Currently, we're implementing the job and internal email systems. Hoping to have something to show off at a large LAN in a few weeks of some basic gameplay.

This will include:
- Login
- Character Selection
- Server searching
- Connecting to various types of servers
- Accepting a job to discover a server password
- Launching a brute force application against a passworded server
- Emailing password to your organisation for contract completion.

Only the job and emailing systems are currently not implemented :)

We'll hopefully soon have a public site available where fans of games like Uplink will be able to follow our development progress and partake in beta testing for us :)

Regards,
Z.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 pm

"It is said there lies great treasure in this dungeon, but none who dared enter it ever returned alive. Sometimes, you hear their screams."

"O, coo, treasure, let's go!"
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Well, mine is now to the point where i can say it's almost beta time.
Except mission system (currently w.i.p.) all features are in (database, server & client).
Currently implemented features:
Mail
Chat
Global Message board
Banking
Hardware purchasing and Gateway hardware upgrading/reconfiguration (you'll definitely need that!)
Most purchasible software
Market system (Todo at a later point: Player shops)
Connecting to systems (yes, multiple connections at the same time)
Hacking (many more ways than in the original Uplink)
System access/manipulation (about the same as in the original Uplink)

The database currently consists of about 1500 unique systems on the world map, about 1/3 of them having their own mail server and their own chat server. The game concept is MMO from ground up, large scale test still to come. I left out one thing however, which is a player ranking system. This is not supposed to be an RPG concept, thus if you have the skill (you, yourself personally), then that's enough.

Currently working on:
- finishing mission system
- adding pvp feature (is already designed, just needs implementation)
- User created software (this is a nice one, players can write their own programs, has lower development priority however)

Client will run on Windows and Mac.

I expect to implement the game server within the next 3 weeks, then comes closed beta first (first multiplayer sessions already done).

Oh yeah, and i dont have a name for it yet, but i'm sure we'll find something.
Last edited by Waaahsabi on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Oh yeah, since noone believes anything without screenshots...

http://twitpic.com/21saac/full
http://twitpic.com/21sbdb/full
Last edited by Waaahsabi on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Pics are broken

good job, if what you're saying is correct!
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Damn, you're right. Stupid browser cache... I'll post the twitpic links instead.
cruz1994
level0

Postby cruz1994 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:01 am

omg those pics look really impressive.
oh and do you think those windows need reposistioning ?
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:50 am

Well, i just put a couple of windows there so there's something to see. This is a complete windowing system, so you can move windows around as you like. See it as some sort of Desktop simulation...
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Little update: I wanted to do the closed beta start a bit earlier, but i decided to start the closed beta phase after i've relocated in end of august. Makes it a bit less stressful + i can set up the server box before that. Until then i'll have all must-have-features in, plus a few optional ones.
FourMoreErrors
level1
level1

Postby FourMoreErrors » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Well, a very big good luck from me.

I think it would be really good, and if you could make this before iHacker. Which I highly doubt that you won't. Then you mgiht be able to smash iHacker out of the league. Lol.
"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Jordan Peters

"Don't think outside the box...Think like there is no box."
- Unknown
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, that iHacker has more of a website than i do, true. If they have more of a game than i do, no idea. Judging by that video they have there, it appears to be a bit more eye-candy focused, plus they got their sound FX in (either that or did a nice video mash-up of what the game is supposed to be like). Apart from that i didn't see much more than what i play with here ;)

Edit: And besides, iHacker is an RPG, mine isn't.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:11 am

For what it's worth, there's usually a good foundation of developers on Sourceforge.
If you're looking for help on this project, that's where I'd start looking.
thegenius2009
level0

Re: Uplink Online style game

Postby thegenius2009 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 pm

zaita wrote:Hey guys,

I've refrained from posting too much information on our attempt to build a multiplayer online hacking game until we actually had a fair amount of code done. Now that we've done quite a bit of work I'm happy to post some information about our game.

Firstly, We are NOT trying to be an Uplink clone. Uplink was a good game that had some good ideas. But we want to make our own vision of a hacking game and do it our way. While we are still in the same genre as Uplink we're trying to develop our own ideas and methods of doing things.

For some more information (and development screenshots) have a look at: http://www.zaita.com/?page_id=54

If you wish to help, we we'd happily have more people join the project then drop me a private message on the forum. You will need some C++ development experience.

Regards,
Zaita.

i would be glad to help
i know i am a noob to the fourms but i know php and html very well
if you would like me to then pm me

Return to “The Future”