Uplink Online style game

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:24 am

So, finally finished moving to new house, starting new job, and building new computer system. Yay. Development shall commence once more.

Now working on the last - yet most complex - part of the game. If i can make it like i think it should be, then i believe this will be quite entertaining ;)
cl0ud
level0

Postby cl0ud » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:49 pm

The game looks great. Can't wait to give it a go. One thing, (no offence) but imo the name 'hack the planet' is not good.
I know it was the name of the tv show in the film hackers.
Names like uplink, sindicate and ihacker are good for this genre.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 am

Just remember, one man's suitability is another man's cliché.

Waaahsabi, have you looked over other attempts at the genre, looking at potential ideas or analysing bad ones? For example, Codelink has a little "minigame" in the password breaker, which advances the percentage every time the player clicks on a 1, and disadvantages it every time he clicks on a 0. While that's nice if password breaking becomes a point of boredom in the game, it kinda defeats the purpose of getting better versions of the password breaking program; in my opinion, it would have been wiser for the developer to remove the boredom through other means, such as increasing the tension of the moment.

Or something.
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 am

@ChemicalRascal I fully agree. I intentionally did not build mini games into mine yet, for that very reason. I'm currently working on the Story system, which is what i think should keep the user busy. However, at a later point i will implement a design (that is already finished) for crea... no, not gonna say it :P

Generally i'm not so much trying to keep the user busy focusing on a single task. I believe what will keep users busy in my game is strategic planning and also social engineering.
Keio
level0

Postby Keio » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello,

Although I'm new in this forum I've played the game several times.
If I understand correctly there are two project in this thread:

- the one from Zaita
- the one from Waaahsabi

The project from Zaita already has a homepage where I can follow the progress.
I was wondering about Waaahsabi project instead. Does anyone know how to contact him? Or if his project has a webpage?

Also.. Waaahsabi, if you read this, what did you mean with this phrase?
This is not supposed to be an RPG concept, thus if you have the skill (you, yourself personally), then that's enough.

I don't undersant the "compensation" that any personal skill would offer regarding the RPG style.

But I really like the idea of user created software!

tl;dr Does anyone know the Waaahsabi project name? And/or homepage?

PS: I know he posted the images in his tweet account, I'll try to contact him there also.
Waaahsabi
level1
level1

Postby Waaahsabi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Ah yes, the forum. Seems i forgot about this one here. But in any case, i'm gonna create a separate thread for my project, that avoids some confusion, i suppose. Answers shall appear there shortly.
williewonka
level1
level1

Postby williewonka » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 am

this look good. what is the homepage from zaita? and has waaahsabi already a homepage?
there are only three things certain in life: death, taxes and hackers who get past security.

nothing is impossible when you think outside the box

dutch power!
Cyrox
level0

Postby Cyrox » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 pm

So what happened with these supposed games ? Any news ?
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 pm

orillian wrote:Well most of the others ended up as vapourware, but regardless,

good luck to you

It would appear that this iteration has fallen to the same fate.

Return to “The Future”