Mybe a save button?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Thank god.

Look if you want a game with a save button YOU make one, you go out and make a mod for it,

dont have time or cant be bothered? not our problem, the game is as it is, and thats not likely to change just because one guy got busted and got annoyed, if it did christ knows where we would be.

Learn to live with it or move on
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:21 pm

First off, be realistic. The game is nearly 10 years old. IV are not currently developing new features for the game, and almost certainly have no intention of releasing any new patches. There are members of the community who have paid for the dev CD who are actively developing Uplink, so there is a non-zero (though still very small) chance that another patch with new features will be released. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Second, the lack of a save feature may not have originally been a part of the meta-game, when Uplink was released in 2001. However, it very quickly became a part of the meta-game. It is understood that Uplink contains a meta-game, and you can either assume that a lack of save files is a part of that, or you can continue to be angry and petulant. No one else is going to change the game to suit your desire for save files.

Third, as I said above, you are free to make the change yourself. If you can't or won't do that, don't cry to us.

Fourth, Uplink has been very successful. Why should Introversion add the save game feature that you want? It has sold very well over the last 10 years, and is reaching its intended audience. Why should IV go back to a game that is a decade old, and spend time developing new features for it when they have other, more interesting (to them) projects to work on? especially when the tools to develop such a modification are available?

Lastly, you should probably read through Introversion's manifesto. I don't know if IV still subscribe to those ideas (though I would think that they do), but they certainly felt that way when Uplink was produced. Uplink is, then, an artistic expression. You might especially note the section headed by the sentence "The common assumption “Above all else, a game must be fun” is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED." Uplink creates frustration when you lose a profile that you have spent several hours on. On the other hand, there is a kind of high that you get when you figure out what you did wrong, and fix it. The high would not be so good if the low were not so bad. Does this create a negative reaction? It can. Does this create situations where Uplink is not fun? Sure. Is this a bad thing? Most of us here would answer in the negative.

You seem to think that Introversion should create games to sell to every person on the planet (or, at least, a larger subset of people on the planet than they currently sell to). That is not how IV operate---they make games that they would want to play, and hope that enough other people will want to play, too. For all that you may be a middle-aged, home-owning, game designer, you are currently acting like a self-centered three year old. You want what you want and you want it now, and you don't want to work for it, and you think that the world should reshape itself around your desires.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm

To add to the above comments, it should probably be pointed out that Chris went out of his way to program Uplink so that when an agent is disavowed the profile is completely unrecoverable. The profile isn't just marked as disavowed. The game data is removed and only the profile stats are left to prevent the user from being able to recover the profile.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
OmenVI
level0

Postby OmenVI » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:47 pm

McDosy wrote:Because those are some examples of typical games of the period, yes? Not ludicrously difficult even at the time of their release when other, better games in similar genres gave you lives, continues and savegame codes?

First off, I'm totally going to write you off as not knowing what you're talking about.
Apparently you've played NONE of those games.
Metroid is a decent example of a very difficult game, until you crack the save/password system.
In absence of the ability to save, the game would have been just as good, and weeded out the pussies, and thus, garnered less main stream attention.
Unless your prime motive in making games is MONEY, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Please let me know which game co you work for, so I know to avoid their games.
My bet is some crap peddling company comparable to EA.
Keep churning out the rehashes, please... :puke:

Last, I want to thank Mr_Anonymous for the insightful post.
The manifesto is exactly why the game exists as it does.
Personally, I'm grateful that there are game companies out there who will put a game out with the goal of making a unique and awesome game, and NOT appealing to every joe sixpack, and their kids, for the sake of making bank.

Return to “The Future”