Just a question

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

sandwiches99
level0

Just a question

Postby sandwiches99 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 am

Well, I've looked through the forums and have found a LOT of negative responses, directed towards those who ask about an online version of uplink. After examining the current progress of 'Onlink' and 'Bytelink', I thought to myself, "Why all these massively multiplayer versions?" So, just one question lingers in my mind right now - and I'm sorry if anyone has already asked about it - but has anyone tried making a multiplayer version of Uplink where you can connect via Direct IP or a LAN? Rather than having a massively multiplayer version, which would surely be a huge task to take on, has anyone bothered with this idea?

Once again, sorry if this is a total noob question. I'm new to the forums, and tried to do my research before asking, but I don't know how the hell I could possibly find a topic about LAN Uplink. That is of course, without simply finding threads about issues relating to the already developed Uplink, and not at all pertaining to a LAN/Direct IP multiplayer mod for the game.
OMFG! It's teh pwnage lololol.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 pm

Firstly, can I point you over to this topic on the Onlink boards.

Secondly, Uplink has a very complicated architecture which it is difficult to network - even the multimonitor feature is complicated enough.

The reason that MMOGs are attempted is because the people who attempt to turn Uplink into an MMOG generally do so despite the practicalities of it, and usually their attempts end up as vapourware and a few extra files on someone's spare hard drive.
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:46 pm

Part of it is also probably due to the fact that if someone had a solid, fun, viable PVP system ready, they would much rather implement it as an MMO system rather than a small-scale LAN one. That doesn't seem to have occurred..yet.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:35 am

Why design something purely for small LANs which will be difficult to scale when you can make a MMO which inherently need to be scabable plus will more than likely be able to be run on a LAN.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
sandwiches99
level0

Postby sandwiches99 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 pm

Nvm, a friend of mine is already working on one, so I really don't need any replies lol.
OMFG! It's teh pwnage lololol.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:43 am

Yet you felt the need to bring back this thread even though no one had touched it in over a month.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “The Future”