Still Going

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

BabyFace
level0

Still Going

Postby BabyFace » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 pm

Im surprised and yet glad that the community is still going. Its been a long time since I played Uplink. I decided to install it again and came here to update it. Its good to see that there are MODs still in development. I just downloaded Onlink. I hope its good.

Uplink has always been a fun game. I even have about 30-40 pages of notes of ideas for a hacking type game that I was wanting to create. More or less of a team of people and the player is the computer wiz of the team. The one that cracks the codes, gets the blueprints, gets passports and all of that.

Playing the game again makes me still want to create my game but I have never fully used C++. I had a few friends in college that could program but we never started past the brainstorm stage.

If anyone is interested, I can go into detail of what my notes are. I would be glad to join a team that could possibly bring my ideas to reality, though some probably would need to be writen from scratch and not modding Uplink.

Heres to hoping and another few days straight of hacking.
BabyFace
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 am

Welcome to the community babyface. As you suggested in your post about making ideas possible etc. I thought you may be interested in project weblink. We are hoping to make an uplink clone from scratch that is multiplayer but stays as close to the original as possible, without breaching copyrights. We only have one coder named ProstheticS but he is willing to do all the work and im the Web Administrator for the project so please come visit us at http://www.projectweblink.tk. We have all our information on the site, and also a forum in which you can post ideas etc that you would like to be seen. Oh well I hope to see you there.
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:39 am

Heh. Why not check out Bytelink too? http://bytelink.org. Any ideas would be much appreciated :D
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Competition for ideas. :lol: Will have to keep closer eye on you. :P Isnt Bytelink practically finished, last time I checked you were not too far off completion.
Davman
level1
level1

Postby Davman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:10 pm

As always, our problem with Bytelink remains PVP. We'll get it sorted eventually, I'm just not sure when, lol.
Davman
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Heh I wonder when people will be able to make up their own ideas for the interface rather than making another Uplink clone.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:28 am

Hmm I see your point coolsi. The reason Project Weblink is making an uplink clone is because its an attempt at Uplink2. I am planning my own other little game at the moment. Will have no resemblance to uplink, but I wont talk about it too much since not got very far. Project Weblink will be good though, will be just what everyone craves of Uplink 2.
BabyFace
level0

Postby BabyFace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 am

Well, while I have a bit of time, ill let you know what I think is a better way of 'bouncing' from servers.

The way Uplink has it is in a line. One connected to the next. My Idea is made up of stars. You hack into a computer like InterNIC or some less administrated computer. You have software that runs which makes several virtual proxies, depending on memory of the machine. That bounce point connects to a number of other computers. One being your next target (or the next star) and the rest are fake connections.

The person that is tracking you looks at all the connections and has to go through them. They will find several dead ends until they find one that has another bounce.

The main bounce points are your hacked machines. As the story progresses, or if you get alot of money, you get more stars.

I hope you understand that one..

I have alot more ideas, some are different security puzzles others are missions, and blah blah.

Let me know what you think.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm

that sounds cool, so you have to hack a mahine to bounce on it - aha, I see something here! On the weblink forums there was a discussion on how to get moderate players of the n00b startup servers to progress them. Well how about the startup server offers you bounce points but everyone knows about them - so you can pull off small hacks but bigger stuff needs to be on your own bounces.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
BabyFace
level0

Postby BabyFace » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:43 am

The hacking game I wanted to create was for a team. The player would be hired for jobs. The object of the team was infiltration/recon, while the hacker was there to unlock doors, turn off cameras, turn off alarms, get the blueprints.

Lets say the object was to steal a painting in a museum. The infiltration would attack the building from the roof. The hacker would have to change the guards cameras into a loop. Unlock the roof door. Then procede to turn off trip lasers and any floor sensitive areas.

On some missions the player might have to cause a distraction in one area, like turning on the sprinklers. It would cause the guards to move out of an area for the infiltration to move to the next floor or whatever.
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:48 am

I once had an idea for a game like that. I started coding a bit, basically I got an editor up and running so I could create buildings with terminals and various security systems, utilities, etc. I gave up when I realized I would have to write some decent AI code for guards and such (I'm lazy), but anyways, my point is that the concept was interesting. I think it would be great if you developed this idea.
coldhand
level1
level1

Postby coldhand » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:56 am

BabyFace wrote:The hacking game I wanted to create was for a team. The player would be hired for jobs. The object of the team was infiltration/recon, while the hacker was there to unlock doors, turn off cameras, turn off alarms, get the blueprints.

Lets say the object was to steal a painting in a museum. The infiltration would attack the building from the roof. The hacker would have to change the guards cameras into a loop. Unlock the roof door. Then procede to turn off trip lasers and any floor sensitive areas.

On some missions the player might have to cause a distraction in one area, like turning on the sprinklers. It would cause the guards to move out of an area for the infiltration to move to the next floor or whatever.

I used to have a game called "hacker II" on an Amstrad 128K simular to that idea. A really cool game (in the days when u loaded off of tapes) where u contolloed a robot that ran on tracks like the ones they use for de-arming bombs. U had to hack into the motion sensors so u could track the security guardsn and urself. U used the blue prints to locate a patch point and hack into the internal security cams, then drive around hacking electronic door switchs and dodging guards. When u came to a corridoor with a camera u had to record a loop and insert a feed from ur computer, but u kept the original feed running on ur screen to help u position ur self eventually infront of the vault. Then fire off an intruder alarm in a certain zone to distraced the guards while u patched into the vaults stand alone security system disarm the vaults internal sensors, broke into the vault and got the hell out of site as quick as. The only problem was the robot was heavy on juice and only had limited 80's style batteries so u had to be fast or u'd slowly lose ur functions and speed. I was 7 y/o at the time and never made it past that level. :roll: Any1 else ever play that game? I'd love to know what happend next. :wink: sry to ramble on but i thought it might fit in with some of ur ideas.

ever little helps :D
Everyone that wants to learn how you must act on a forum or just want to laugh, watch this movie
click here for very useful uplink guide
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am

hmm some great ideas, stilll all welcome at projectweblink.tk Our current project will use companies and teams so stay tuned.
AciD
level1
level1

Postby AciD » Fri May 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Some sort of experience system to make framing of other users harder maybe? Your levels have to be equal or the attackers have to be lower in order to succeed. The more difference the harder of course. If the attacker do not succeed to do whatever he tries to properly then the victim will be able to start trace the attacker like a server would. And if the victim traces it through he can report the man to the police OR counterattack, regardless of level difference. I hope what I said made sense, and sorry for bumping.

Return to “The Future”