Real life

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Viperz888
level1
level1

Real life

Postby Viperz888 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Hey, you could re-enact famous terrorism acts and stuff. you could have to guide planes into the twin towers for £1 000 000 for a terrorism group, or find ossama bin laden for the americans for 2000000 quid.
Like the ideas?
:?:
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Let's try no, for a number of reasons.

1: It's a game about hacking, not about mass terrorism.

2: Sure, let's make a game involving the Trade Center buildings getting destroyed and over 3000 people killed, really rather tasteful.

Games are supposed to be entertainment, you find what happened to the Twin Towers entertaining? I suggest you seek professional help.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Rkiver wrote:2: Sure, let's make a game involving the Trade Center buildings getting destroyed and over 3000 people killed, really rather tasteful.

Games are supposed to be entertainment, you find what happened to the Twin Towers entertaining? I suggest you seek professional help.

You've obviously not played BestGameEver
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:48 am

Rkiver wrote:Let's try no, for a number of reasons.

1: It's a game about hacking, not about mass terrorism.
<snip>

As if hacking itself was not a form of terrorism, with hundreds of thousands having their personal information stolen, innocent people incarcerated, and companies too afraid to report hacks to federal agencies because of the possibility of bad publicity hurting their profits.

Then again, here's some other "ideas"... :twisted:
  • Sabbotage a manufacturing facility so the robots who work there go berzerk and kill people.
  • Have poisonous gases or liquids released from a depot to polute a nearby city/village killing people.
  • Tweak a nuclear power plant so its reactors overheat and blow.
  • Break into ICBM systems and launch WWIII.

I'm sure you can come up with other ways to score megadeaths.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:00 am

Hacking as portrayed in the game is not terrorism. Terrorism is "the unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons" (American Heritage Dictionary). :)
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:19 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Hacking as portrayed in the game is not terrorism.

Of course not, can't strike fear into an emotionless machine, or into a company that's gotten so used to being hacked that they stopped caring.
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Terrorism is "the unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence...

Like using the password breaker, a DoS attack, or data-stealling trojans and viruses.
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:by a person or an organized group

i.e. "Hackers"
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:against people or property

Corporate, financial, or government systems, money, or personel.
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons" (American Heritage Dictionary). :)

Scaring them to leave the Internet, or exposing their shadiness.

Like I said, as if hacking itself was not a form of terrorism...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:08 am

Few if any hackers have had any designs on intimidation or coersion. Hackers don't want people to leave the internet, and exposing volnerabilities is not intimidation nor is it coersion. Most are just hackers are out for attention or personal profit/entertainment. None of those falls into the category of terrorism. Terrorism is a much more specific term than most people believe it to be. I have never seen a hacker cause anything that could be considered terror, annoyance sure, but terror, no.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:01 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Few if any hackers have had any designs on intimidation or coersion. Hackers don't want people to leave the internet, and exposing volnerabilities is not intimidation nor is it coersion. Most are just hackers are out for attention or personal profit/entertainment. None of those falls into the category of terrorism. Terrorism is a much more specific term than most people believe it to be. I have never seen a hacker cause anything that could be considered terror, annoyance sure, but terror, no.

Let's wait until one is caught with nuclear missile launch codes on his hard drive trying to use them, then see what Homeland Security says.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:21 am

Yes, let's use what that glorious crowd of terror hunting nitwits have to say about hackers, and let's paint all hackers with what they say......
AgentFade
level1
level1

Postby AgentFade » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:37 pm

Wow, Stew.

You takes things way too dictionary-definition like.

(Sounds like somebody I know...)
talk to me about anything Uplink. I can usually help you.

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:23 pm

I'm sorry if like using words correctly. Since 9/11 people like attaching the term terrorism to anything they don't like. Just look at Iraq. Iraq was not engaged in international terrorism (at least not directly). However Iraq was labeled a terrorist state. Terrorism is the use of force or violence against a civilian population to bring about some political change. Words should be used properly, otherwise they are meaningless.
Viperz888
level1
level1

Postby Viperz888 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:55 pm

Rkiver wrote:Games are supposed to be entertainment, you find what happened to the Twin Towers entertaining? I suggest you seek professional help.

well ok but you should cough up that dictionary/thesaurus that you swallowed
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Why, because we can actually speak English up to something approaching the standard expected of our age level?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:03 am

To be honest I have been insulted by far better on here, the level of English and general insulting is dropping.

Ah well, c'est la vie.
Viperz888
level1
level1

Postby Viperz888 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:10 am

well i think its ok as i am only 14 and english isnt my 1st language.
my typing isnt very good either so that doesnt help.

Return to “The Future”