Uplink dead.... forever?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Phoenix Elite
level1
level1

Re: Uplink dead.... forever?

Postby Phoenix Elite » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Dr4goN wrote:Is Uplink dead? There are no new mods and sequels. Why? Because IV decided to leave Uplink alone? Can't be! I know that some hacking simulators are too buggy and crappy to beat Uplink but Dark Signs does. And, maybe Uplink will lose this game, burned to the ashes. Burned by it's rivals.

Not as long as I keep playing it day after day, bugging people to support it. :D
Where ever you go, there you are.
| Uplink Directory | My Profile | Rate Me! |
Orion
level1
level1

Postby Orion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:42 am

well, im new to uplink, but in my opinion you can estimate the future of a game by the community: starcraft is 10 years old, and one of the most played games in the world, uplink is "old" too, but there is this huge forum (still very active, yeah).
btw: dark signs is a very good game,and i liked playing it, but you should pay his forum a visit, it's nearly DEAD (one post every third day or something like that), so i see more future for uplink than for ds, honestly said...
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:39 pm

Same here. Uplink's not dead, and I just wish I managed to get into it a couple years ago... still, as long as people play it it'll be alive.

And as soon as my DevCD is here, I'll jump into the code. To beat a dead horse once again, I'm not giving up the idea of an online multiplayer version ;)
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:32 pm

Calimar wrote:I'm not giving up the idea of an online multiplayer version ;)

Not yet...

You will.
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:11 am

I might.

But after all why should I? There have been online versions of just about everything including the crossfire rpg.

Uplink should need to be redone from scratch of course, since it's not copylefted (GPL) or open source. And I don't have the code anyway. But hey, I need a project, I'm getting tired of this boring job, and armordolls is now finished for what concerns the game design and implementation.

The technology is changed enough that I think it'd be possible to make it work. I've got a T1 at home, most people have at least a 1024/256 ADSL... reading the bonus disk's analysis from Chris you get quite some insight in what criticalities an online uplink would have.

Why do you think it's impossible? I wonder.

EDIT: oh btw, who's the head guy for bytelink? I want to know about that project (contact me privately if you prefer).
Davman
level1
level1

Postby Davman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Head of Bytelink would either be myself of j3sus (abigbagofcrap).
Davman
amsnintendofreak
level1
level1

Postby amsnintendofreak » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:40 pm

I know it's off-topic, but I have a question for you davman....When can I expect to be able to play bytelink? I'm really looking forward to it....well...except for the ability to hack others' bank accounts.....I dont wanna be hacked. lol
Stormeagle13
level2
level2

Postby Stormeagle13 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:10 pm

I knew I was old but ****! :shock: I only got is last month!(for like $10 too, so i knew it was old) :shock: :shock: :shock:
It takes a noob to not know what noob means.

In Life There Is Death And In Death There Is Pizza!

Sometimes we all have to look in the mirror and say,"Who is that ugly *****"
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:07 am

Hey, I'm Jesus (Co-developer of Bytelink)

A couple of months ago, we had our alpha release to a few people. It turned out pretty promising. Just a simple break-into-a-bank-and-find-who-stole-my-money sort of mission. Anyways, you could bug Davman to get you a copy of the Alpha release, he's been pretty strict about who he gives it to, and I agreed to follow whatever he decided to do for the Alpha.

Stop by our forums, right now development is sort of stagnating as we need some really awesome PVP ideas... :(

For now, you can enjoy the few screenshots that are found on the Bytelink about page. :D
Wack
level0

Postby Wack » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:45 am

I just bought this game last week and it is so addicting that everyone that sees it wants to get a copy. I don't know much about how to add the mods that I see and most of them do not work but the basic game is great.

I joined the forum so I could get caught up and figure out how things work.

This game is not even close to being dead. 8)
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

honestly

Postby CyberGenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:52 am

How can Uplink be called dead if people are still buying it and spreading the word?

sidenote: One of these days someone will pick up a DevCD with the know-how to make it online...and that person will be hailed as a god(dess)

EDIT: heh...didnt notice this was a dead topic...*hides*
Sun657
level0

Warning

Postby Sun657 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:39 am

exosyphen wrote:Too bad .

Here's my two cents worth, i think that you are being scammed just be carful mate ;-)

Return to “The Future”