level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:26 am

A man after my own heart!
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Well its been a while since I have been on the forums, but its good to be back. I couldn't believe the response that an uplink sequel has got! :shock: Seriously, there have been such negative and rather militant comments made about it. Yeah granted Introversion will never develop a sequel or an add-on but that shouldn't stop the community from creating either an online hacking game or some sort of sequel to uplink although that would be difficult when it comes to getting consent from introversion since a second part would have to be linked to the first part.

Yes we can't take the name or any of the source material without introversions consent but even if we couldn't get that the community should still consider creating the game through our own means since everybody is so eager for either a second part to uplink which would be difficult or make an entirely new hacking game but base it online.

Bear with me since I haven't been around for quite a while but did everyone know that a few of us got together and actually started work on making an online hacking game well over a year ago? Unfortunately the members who started work on this have since then disappeared but its definitely something I would want to help out with if any freelance programmers or lone game devs are out there who are willing to put some work into this.

We weren't doing to badly with the previous project it was just that we had a lack of support from the members and from what I can remember it fizzled out since we all had other priorities.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:14 am

Did anyone, anywhere, actually say that the community shouldn't create mods or similar?
Aside, that is, from John Romero.
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:45 am

KingAl wrote:Did anyone, anywhere, actually say that the community shouldn't create mods or similar?
Aside, that is, from John Romero.

I wasn't implying that. I was mearly stating that because of the negative reaction towards it and towards people who keep posting about it and aren't taking the hint are probably more disinclined now to keep pursuing the thought of a future to this and its these people that were needed when I and a few others started development on a future to Uplink.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am

Meh. The people dense enough to ask - and thus be discouraged - are probably too dull to make a valuable contribution.
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:11 am

KingAl wrote:Meh. The people dense enough to ask - and thus be discouraged - are probably too dull to make a valuable contribution.

Can't disagree with you there to be honest.
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 am

OK, so noone here works for Introversion, right?
And there was some indication at one time or another that people who do work for Introversion were at least somewhat interested in doing a sequel.
Then they came out and said they weren't going to do a sequel.
Which means as of right now, no sequel is forthcoming from Introversion. They've got other things they want to be doing. They've got Defcon, and Darwinnia, and whatever comes next.
As of right now.
Look, noone here knows what the future will bring. Someday, the fine folks of IV may in fact revisit the idea of Uplink.

Wait. Don't say they won't. You're not them, and they're people, with minds they are allowed to change. Hell. they've already done it once.
If they do eventually decide that UL2 is gonna be a good idea, great. If not, I'm sure we'll all enjoy whatever they do give us.

But there are two things which I can say are categorically unhelpful:

1. Asking when the new Uplink is coming out. As far as we can tell right now, never.

2. Calling people fuckwits for saying it's a good idea, or for speculating that IV might in fact change their minds, or for suggesting that IV is making a financial mistake in not putting even a little concentration into making this a franchise, or for, well, anything. Calling people fuckwits is not generally helpful.

That said, I, for one, have been looking forward to Uplink 2 for years. Only recently did I have the werewithal to look to forums. I'm not over my disappointment yet, nor do I think I will be over it any time soon. I hope they realize that nothing about making a sequel means that you can't be innovative or groundbreaking. I hope they realize that no matter what they do, they're going to be a great company, who puts out quality games.

I also hope they do two or three or ten other products first. I can wait.
Ceri
level0

Postby Ceri » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 pm

The whole Uplink Online info included on the Introversion server ingame and on the bonus disc was only an idea. It was probably never intended to be taken so seriously. Frankly I believe what has been said before about the Darwinia launch party about Chris (this would be Chris Delay one of the three that are Introversion) having said it wouldn't happen, and I support the decision not to try to produce a sequel for Uplink within Introversion itself. The time they've spent producing Darwinia and DefCon was well spent on them, Darwinia is really addictive, and Defcon I haven't bought as yet (I'm broke ok).

To produce a viable sequel requires not just new story material, it requires you to produce something that feels like more than a simple add-on for the original game, an example is XCOM (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown), the sequel Terror From the Deep is little more than a few bug fixes, remoding pictures and strings and adding the underseas battle tag, not much of a sequel really, and not as much fun as the original by comparison, though nothing subsequently released has left me feeling like ditching the classics.

Original, innovative, and addictive new game or lackluster sequel? My money is going towards the new game, I'm sick of having to wait for expansion packs to get what should have been there from the start in many games, and I'm sick of sequels that purport to exceed their priors and fail to impress. If you want a sequel get your friends together and get the devCD, and you make it, if it's good enough you'll get the attention of the fans, and Introversion in a positive way and the desire for a sequel is fulfilled, if not well Introversion have produced a new title in the meantime perhaps and the fans are drooling over the screenshots.

Now besides my complaints on things there are some very good reasons not to produce a sequel from IVs point of view, you have to put a lot of effort into a project you no longer have a feel for, you have to work to get your fans excited over a sequel which is nearly impossible (anyone not been disappointed by a sequel yet?), and if the game flops which is likely due to people either being unwilling to buy (because it's a sequel), or it's just not good enough to make the sales IV as an independent developer is in trouble, no matter how you structure things a commercial flop in the game world can be a killer for a business.

Sorry if I'm long winded but I've been away for way too long and this topic grabbed my attention again due to the massive amount of... I can't think of a polite way of referring to the youngsters requests for a sequel.

Onlink from the descriptions I've seen appears to be attempting to add in everything I wanted for Uplink, they don't seem to have missed any assets that I would have appreciated except for the option to setup a script for a server assault, ie load x,y,z apps, run, bypass sec, crack pwd, get and/or del file, disconnnect. Maybe that would be a little bit too much, but it's only something nice for those big H&R lists I tend to have at times early on.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:03 pm

hastylumbago wrote:<snip>

Chris himself has stated there will never be a sequel. I was there in person when that was stated, along with a lot of others from the community.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:32 pm

Ceri wrote: (anyone not been disappointed by a sequel yet?),

Umm. Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Final Fantasy 6, 7, and 9, Every Zork sequel ever, Every Zelda sequel ever, Every Metroid sequel ever, Fallout 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, several (not all) Mega Man sequels, GTA: San Andreas...

I realize that a lot of these are console games, and that very few of them are revolutionary, or truely original, but here's the thing:

A satisfactory, or even sublimely awesome game need not be built upon nothing but it's own merit.

The first (and only, I know, don't jump down my throat) Uplink doesn't have to be changed until it's no longer recognisable to be a good sequel.

Ceri wrote:If you want a sequel get your friends together and get the devCD, and you make it

Yeah. That's great. You do realize that most fans, even of Uplink, aren't actually code-capable, right? To be fair, I don't really know what's involved in using the DevCD, but I do know I've never been able to compile an expansion or patch for anything but, like, Maelstrom... Also, Does the DevCD even work for Mac users?

And finally...

Rkiver wrote: Chris himself has stated there will never be a sequel. I was there in person when that was stated, along with a lot of others from the community.

Congrats. I don't care, and it doesn't invalidate my point. Every once in a while, Someone says they'll do something, or not do something, and they say it with witnesses. Then, they Don't do it, or they do it (respectively). This doesn't mean they didn't say it, nor does it necessarily make them a liar. It just means they
changed their mind.

Sometimes people do that. I want to make this clear: I'm not really holding out any hope of this. I just think the argument, as well as the flaming, is really, really, really stupid.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:35 pm

hastylumbago wrote:You do realize that most fans, even of Uplink, aren't actually code-capable, right?
However, most people who make videogames probably enjoy playing videogames too. So where are they all?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Ceri
level0

Postby Ceri » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:39 am

In the case of most of the Final Fantasy games the only true link between them is the names, and a couple of common characters like Cid. The combat system has while retaining mostly the same control interface been changed substantially. The stories while the plot remains largely the same (same the world, good vs evil, etc) the details change a lot.

And to each their own Warcraft as a game never really got me interested, despite having beaten all 3 of them and the expansions.
As to Fallout 2, it never really had the spark that got me interested as much as Fallout did though it definitely wasn't a bad game.

Well I'm here shinygerbil. It's surprising how many game players know more about coding than they think, some of the better games I've played over the years have needed you to learn a bit of C or C++ to produce a viable mod, or you'd be stuck within the limitations of the supplied editors (this is how I first started to learn C myself, I kept on breaking the unit editor for an old game).

As to an Uplink Sequel if all you did was create a new storyline without introducing other new elements you wouldn't grab that much attention. That'd be like two years from now releasing Escape II with all the same puzzles just restringing all the text. It'd bomb 9 times out of 10, almost any game would, even Doom II had a lot of changes from Doom as far as the player was concerned, the story had changed, there was a new weapon, and loads of new enemies to fight on maps that they didn't know, and several secret levels to explore. You have to push to make things interesting for the players, if they feel like it's all the same as before you cop flak over copping out and just trying to gouge them for more money.

I don't think you're entirely wrong, I just don't see how a sequel to Uplink could have enough original elements to be bought by enough people to make it financially viable for IV even if they did decide to make a sequel. I'm still not sure why people go out and buy those hardware tech demos they like to call games these days.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:56 am

hastylumbago wrote:Sometimes people do that. I want to make this clear: I'm not really holding out any hope of this. I just think the argument, as well as the flaming, is really, really, really stupid.

The argument is a means to an end. People posting about how great a sequel would be is a useless waste of their own time and that of others. Yes, Chris could theoretically decide to make 'Uplink 2'. He could also decide to scale Mount Everest. Until such an event occurs, please don't talk about either.
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:41 pm

KingAl wrote:Yes, Chris could theoretically decide to make 'Uplink 2'. He could also decide to scale Mount Everest. Until such an event occurs, please don't talk about either.

Wait, so when is Chris going to scale Mt Everest? :D
raiisak
level0

Postby raiisak » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:56 pm

So... When ARE the sequel comming out then?

Return to “The Future”