So Everybody's Pro Now?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Syco
level1
level1

So Everybody's Pro Now?

Postby Syco » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:20 pm

It appears to me as though everybody thinks they're professional or something. Either they're making their own online uplink, or they're too good to try. There's dozens of ideas and dozens of would-be's...
If anyone here sees this half the way I do, you know that you'll keep failing if you keep trying to prove something. So, if everyone would stop trying to "be pro" for a minute and start trying to make a mod, we might actually get something done.
The way I see it, if we pool all of our talent, we can output a crap-ass uplink fangame. But, if it's a crap-ass game with a soul behind it, we're starting somewhere. And from there we could build on it, and make it better, and so on and so on.
The first thing we need is a group of willing people. Considering the nature of uplink, MMO games in general, and ambitions that've been expressed, it will need to be a group with either a good deal of knowledge or a good deal of time; and basically everyone will need to be a programmer. Whatever art there isn't won't be too hard to make.
Once we have a big enough group, then we decide which language to use, and who to elect as leader, and divy up the work needed. Until then, we simply toss ideas around and maybe even debate a bit.
If nobody's interested, I'll kindly up and leave, and continue building small apps with no purpose. If there's enough interest, (and we'll know when there is), then we get a project going.
So if you are in fact interested, then please post here. If you have any sort of doubts or flames, go rant them on your little blog, and leave me (or optomistically 'us') be. I know this isn't an easy thing, but this is probably the only (realistic) way to do it.
-Syco
P.S. Don't worry about ideas. I'm already teeming with them, and I haven't even started concentrating. Plus there's about a thousand and a half suggestions from the community that'd probably have to be implemented in some way shape or form.
0VeRRiDe
level0

Postby 0VeRRiDe » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:29 pm

If that "project" ever starts, count me in.
?Signature not found error
Aimless
level1
level1

Postby Aimless » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:04 am

^^^^ Count me in too
Shmaw.
If only my penis was as big as my ego.
-Anon
Syco
level1
level1

Postby Syco » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:16 am

Almost forgot, it'd be best if we all listed what we can do, what we'll learn, and what we can't do.
I'm learning Delphi, but am not competent enough to create a stand-alone program beyond a combination of components.
When I know enough, I plan to merge to C#, which is where everyone else seems to be at or going right now.
-Syco
Aimless
level1
level1

Postby Aimless » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:17 am

why use C#? stick to C++ its all you need my friend...anyways, myself I know about half maybe of C++ and ditto with Visual Basic 6
I do minor graphic manipulation and I also know html (doesn't everyone?) umm what else...oh ya, Turing! The MOST useless programming language out there, but I need it for school because its a "learning language" and our teacher is a retard who barely knows Java/JS and tries to teach it....she didn't know about Alt+F4 untill we showed her....pretty bad...anyways...ya I also do JavaScript and some Java..that's about all I could tihnk of for now...I tihnk it's really time for me to go to bed..fucking school :cry:
Shmaw.

If only my penis was as big as my ego.

-Anon

coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:22 pm

No offence but this kind of thing has been tried several times already, and so far nothing has been completed.

Making Uplink Online is a huge project and is something very difficult to do.
Nakatomi is coming
Syco
level1
level1

Postby Syco » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:03 am

I'm starting to think the kind of talent I thought was here...well, isn't. Three or four people is a really bad start. It would appear as though everyone's doing their own or has moved on. Oh well.
-Syco
ender
level3
level3

Postby ender » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:25 pm

coolsi wrote:No offence but this kind of thing has been tried several times already, and so far nothing has been completed.

Repeat what he said :)
Check Me Out!

No....there are no need for words my
friend....
I can read you like an open book!
Syco
level1
level1

Postby Syco » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Aright, well, online or offline, I'll just start firing off my ideas and even if they don't get done by some big team, you can still probably see where I was going.
There would be a big change in servers and in access in that it would be more realistic. You could have completely diffferent results from one source by connecting via a different protocol, sending different commands, etc. Maybe we would go with the idea of having real servers be game servers, but that'd only work until the hosts get bored of the game.
The other big idea is to add "development tools" to the program list. It would basically launch a drag-drop-and-specify oriented program, much like the LAN or Gateway making programs.
For instance, to set up an FTP program, one would toss up a prompt/input box and specify the field as "IP". Then link it to a connect command, and an FTP protocol, and finally a folder list component.
In the short run, I see players building autohack things that'll go through methodic actions like bank hacking for them (bank hacking will hopefully be changed, but as it is it remains a good example). In the long run, I see players going to forums and selling vaccines for worms they created, with a telemarketer-like army of friends standing by, watching the logs at the bank where the funds are supposed to be deposited, dropping the connection of anyone logging in as admin.
-Syco
LSRAssasin
level0

Postby LSRAssasin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:17 pm

:roll: Yep... Having 100 people who are no good doesn't compare to 5 people who are good... I also see you accusing US of thinking we're pros, when you're trying to make a seriously good game, when you haven't made a useful mod yet :S leave for the REAL pros, not wanna-bes, REAL pros :)
Power through weakness.
Light through darkness.
Good through evil.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:53 pm

I can't even be bothered to comment on the pathetic-ness of this thread.

Also, don't bump old topics.

Return to “The Future”